R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTowing Accessories

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing Accessories
    Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 2:45pm
Hi folks. One step closer to being officially worthy of joining this forum as the offer I put on a 2015 179 has been accepted! Very pumped, as I’m upgrading from our lil’ Palomino Yearling pop-up. So, I’ve tried to research this by myself within this forum and have picked up bits and pieces. But, just curious if anyone would mind passing along their wisdom to a newbie on a couple things? Curious about the necessity of a) brake controller; b) weight distribution hitch and c) sway bar….and where to purchase? Amazon appears well suited for all this stuff, but oh….so many to choose from. My tow vehicle is 2005 Honda Pilot…which I’ve learned isn’t the ideal vehicle, but its’ all I got for now.    Much obliged.
MP2112
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 2:58pm
Congrats and welcome! We tow a 179 with a 2011 Ridgeline, which is pretty similar to a Pilot if I'm not mistaken. 

Brake controller is a must - you need it to power your brakes and control them from the tow vehicle. We have a fairly basic Tekonsha unit, not sure of the model, we bought it at a local RV dealer (I think it was about $50 or 60) and while simple, it does everything we need it to. I believe they charged me another $50 or so for installation.

We have an Equalizer WDH and recommend it. Takes some work (and patience) to get it set up properly and its a little bit of added effort to hitch and unhitch, but it makes for a very smooth and stable ride. It is wdh and sway control combined.

Many people on this forum tow without one and I would consider it if I had a larger, heavier tow vehicle. But my opinion is that you are much better off with a WDH with the tow vehicle/trailer combo you have. 
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 3:31pm
Brake controller is legally required in most states. Like 48 of them.. so..

WDH is not recommended for the Pilot/Ridgeline, (per the owners manual) though most owners use one, without issue, and it will improve the ride considerably.

For sure get sway control. Some WDH's have it built it. But stand alone friction sway bars are easy, and inexpensive to find.
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 4:01pm
Furpod??
You recommend both wdh AND sway control??    Or your saying if it's not built into the wdh? I tend to value your opinion

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 4:21pm
Yes. If towing with a smaller vehicle, which I consider a Pilot to be, I highly recommend both. And it's easiest to implement both if they are together in the same system.

If the OP wants to follow the Honda guidance to not use a WDH (which I think is BS, but it ain't my truck or Pod)  Then I highly recommend a friction anti sway system, at the very least.

Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by furpod

Yes. If towing with a smaller vehicle, which I consider a Pilot to be, I highly recommend both. And it's easiest to implement both if they are together in the same system.

If the OP wants to follow the Honda guidance to not use a WDH (which I think is BS, but it ain't my truck or Pod)  Then I highly recommend a friction anti sway system, at the very least.

Totally agree with Furpod on his assessment. The one I use does both. I've towed the Pod short distances without it and difference is significant. 
MikeP View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 8:18pm
awesome, thanks folks. Now to calculate the overall tongue weight.....sighh
MP2112
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 7:11am
Originally posted by MikeP

awesome, thanks folks. Now to calculate the overall tongue weight.....sighh

Doesn't have to be calculated.. you can weigh the tongue. But, if you are trying to do the math for a WDH, you need a 600lb bar set. I know a lot of Pods, own a Sherline scale, and have taken a lot of TW measurements.. None has ever been above 600, or under 285.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 7:20am
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 8:34am
+1, I have a Sherline. I prefer the 0-1000 scale, easier for me to get an accurate weight.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>