R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDSI Fault Indicator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: DSI Fault Indicator
    Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 3:39pm
I am experiencing a DSI Fault when I set the water heater to electric service on my 2017 Model 179.  The propane igniter also fires several times even though the heater is set to use electric service.  The DSI Fault indicator on the control panel will go out generally after five minutes.  Wondering if there is a problem with the heater propane igniter or an electrical fault.  Unfortunately the R-Pod manual says nothing about a "DSI Fault" and how to address it.  Suggestions welcomed.

Thanks
2017 R-Pod 179
2003 Toyota 4Runner Limited
SteveA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 4:09pm
Had the same thing to my 179, when attempting to heat water with propane, the ignitor would cycle 3 times and then go into DSI fault. It would run on elect, but not on propane. Turned out to be (for lack of knowing the name of the part) the propane "ignitor brain or circuit board". It was attached with 2 sided tape to the outside Styrofoam shell of the water heater (located under the bed). Mine was still under warrantee so I didn't mess with it but was there when the tech pulled circuit board off. It had very clearly gotten hot enough to burn a brown spot in the board under the 2 sided tape. The Tech stated they have had a rash of these and reattaching the new board without the tape seem to cure the issue. 
2017 179 1/2
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 5:04pm
Turn off the heater switch to shut the propane and go outside and turn on the electric.  Had the same problem.  On propane the DSI fault would stay on (it is supposed to go out after a minute or two).  Had to have dealer warranty work done.  Trip was saved as we were hooked up and so went outside and turned on the electric to heat the water.  Nice to have a backup system to heat water either with propane or 120v electric hookup.  Could even use both at the same time to speed up the heating process.  We rarely run out of hot water even with a regulator shower.
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
Billy Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 8:56am
so i have not seen or been told my 2017 190 water heater would run on electricity...just propane.  

where would the switch be for change from propane to electricity?  I have the switch in the bath that turns it on.
2019 RPOD 190
2017 Chev Colorado 4 X 4
Yellow Lab and English Springer Spaniel
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 9:14am
Billy Bob,

There is a 15A CB in the convertor panel for your water heater and a small toggle switch in the outside water heater compartment that has to be ON. ENSURE you have water in the WH, works on shore power or generator.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 9:17am
Originally posted by Billy Bob

so i have not seen or been told my 2017 190 water heater would run on electricity...just propane.  

where would the switch be for change from propane to electricity?  I have the switch in the bath that turns it on.

Maybe something has changed, but my 2017 has a switch outside the camper. If you open the large black metal cover over your water heater, it should be located in the lower left corner of the opening. You might need to bend down to see it. You can leave that switch turned on, and turn off the breaker from the inside if going outside seems silly to you. On mine its switch number 5, but yours should be labeled.

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 9:20am
ALL R-Pods to date have been built with a 2 way WH. There is no discussion or plan I am aware of to change this.
Halibut57 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 10:47am
Thanks for the reply Steve.  I see a trip to the service dealer in my near future.  First to complete our trip thru southern Oregon.
2017 R-Pod 179
2003 Toyota 4Runner Limited
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 11:31am
IF you are heating with electric, and the water is hot, the DSI won't ignite. If the fault light goes off, there is no issue. There is no pilot etc. The gas side only comes on when it's needed. 
onazip View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 12:23pm
So, if I understand correctly.  The interior WH switch on the panel is only for heating with Propane and the exterior switch is only for Electric?  This was NOT explained to me by the dealer during my walk-thru.  And, I didn't know to ask.  
2018 Tundra
2018 176t
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>