R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDSI Fault Indicator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: DSI Fault Indicator
    Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 12:11am
Originally posted by Halibut57

1)  Why does the propane igniter fire when I have selected electric as the water heater method, e.g. the outside water heater panel is set to "On"?  I would expect the igniter "NOT" to active and try to ignite the propane.
The igniter will fire regardless of whether there is propane or not. It's just trying to light it. The igniter does not have knowledge of whether there is propane or not.

2)  If number 1 above is normal, then if I have my propane value open "and" electric selected it would seem to me that both the electric and propane trying to heat the water.  Perhaps the propane finally senses that "electric" is the chosen heating method and just stops.
No connection. The two heating systems (electric and propane) are independent, and neither "knows" about the other. If they are both on, then the water will just heat faster.

3)  What the hey does DSI stand for?
I think it means Direct Spark Ignition.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Halibut57 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 9:00pm
Thanks very much for your reply furpod.   SO I juts set up the Pod for the evening and hit the electric water heater switch on the outside water heater panel.  The DSI Light came on when I set the inside water heater panel to "on".   The propane igniter fire several times and then stopped. I did npt have the propane tank set to "open" so there was no propane for the igniter to ignite.  The DSI Fault light has not gone out and we have hot water.  So my questions are as follows;

1)  Why does the propane igniter fire when I have selected electric as the water heater method, e.g. the outside water heater panel is set to "On"?  I would expect the igniter "NOT" to active and try to ignite the propane.
2)  If number 1 above is normal, then if I have my propane value open "and" electric selected it would seem to me that both the electric and propane trying to heat the water.  Perhaps the propane finally senses that "electric" is the chosen heating method and just stops.
3)  What the hey does DSI stand for?

Thanks for indugling my ignorance.
2017 R-Pod 179
2003 Toyota 4Runner Limited
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by onazip

So, if I understand correctly.  The interior WH switch on the panel is only for heating with Propane and the exterior switch is only for Electric?  This was NOT explained to me by the dealer during my walk-thru.  And, I didn't know to ask.  

This is correct. They are independent of each other.

Also, for fastest heat up or recovery, if both sources are available, you can run/use both at the same time.
onazip View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 12:23pm
So, if I understand correctly.  The interior WH switch on the panel is only for heating with Propane and the exterior switch is only for Electric?  This was NOT explained to me by the dealer during my walk-thru.  And, I didn't know to ask.  
2018 Tundra
2018 176t
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 11:31am
IF you are heating with electric, and the water is hot, the DSI won't ignite. If the fault light goes off, there is no issue. There is no pilot etc. The gas side only comes on when it's needed. 
Halibut57 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 10:47am
Thanks for the reply Steve.  I see a trip to the service dealer in my near future.  First to complete our trip thru southern Oregon.
2017 R-Pod 179
2003 Toyota 4Runner Limited
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 9:20am
ALL R-Pods to date have been built with a 2 way WH. There is no discussion or plan I am aware of to change this.
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 9:17am
Originally posted by Billy Bob

so i have not seen or been told my 2017 190 water heater would run on electricity...just propane.  

where would the switch be for change from propane to electricity?  I have the switch in the bath that turns it on.

Maybe something has changed, but my 2017 has a switch outside the camper. If you open the large black metal cover over your water heater, it should be located in the lower left corner of the opening. You might need to bend down to see it. You can leave that switch turned on, and turn off the breaker from the inside if going outside seems silly to you. On mine its switch number 5, but yours should be labeled.

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 9:14am
Billy Bob,

There is a 15A CB in the convertor panel for your water heater and a small toggle switch in the outside water heater compartment that has to be ON. ENSURE you have water in the WH, works on shore power or generator.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Billy Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 8:56am
so i have not seen or been told my 2017 190 water heater would run on electricity...just propane.  

where would the switch be for change from propane to electricity?  I have the switch in the bath that turns it on.
2019 RPOD 190
2017 Chev Colorado 4 X 4
Yellow Lab and English Springer Spaniel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>