R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDSI Fault Indicator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jato View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: DSI Fault Indicator
    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 6:11am
Since nothing happened when you attempted to push the buttons in indicates that everything is good and running normally.  The two re-set buttons are for the electric side only.  If you have had an electrical spike or other abnormality in you electric source one or both of these may pop out and have to be pushed in to re-set.  That being said, I have owned my 177 since January 2011, and have never had to fuss with or re-set these buttons.  This may in part be due to the fact that the majority of the time I camp where no electricity is available.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Cliffhanger View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 9:55pm
On the front of my heater there’s a 4x3 inch black panel that says “press to reset”. What’s it do and how do you do it. I’ve pressed it and it doesn’t seem to do anything.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 4:19pm
You didn't hurt a thing leaving the switch on. And we empty the WH when we winterize in January.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 4:18pm
You didn't hurt the water heater by turning of the gas at the tank.  What to do about the water in the water heater between trips really depends on your own preferences and concerns.  If you are filling your tanks with well water (not chlorinated) you might want to drain or flush between trips.  If it's chlorinated water you have more leeway.  Many people don't drink pod water, they just use it for washing dishes, showers, and flushing the toilet.  Again, you have more leeway then. 

I flush my tank, including the water heater, probably twice a year, once at the beginning of the season, after winterizing, and probably again in July or August.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Lilly Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 3:23pm
Thanks to all of you for this wealth of information, so much more than in the owner's manual! I'm a newbie to my fabulous r-pod, and getting a little concerned reading this thread. I did not know the water heater can be run on electrical, that's great. I just checked and the switch on the outside is off, so have been running on propane without any difficulty (have been out 4 times now). I have 2 questions: (1) in the flurry of a chaotic leave from our site near Glacier National Park yesterday (highly recommended, by the way), I turned off the propane tank but missed turning off the WH switch inside the pod, noticed it was on when I got home about 6 hours later and turned it off. Will this cause permanent damage? (2) I have seen lots of differing advice on how to care for the water heater between adventures (usually 2-4 weeks), all the way from "do nothing" to "drain the hot water tank, remove the anode, etc." What do you more experienced folks recommend? It gets winterized at the end of the season. If this is not the appropriate place to ask these questions, please redirect me to a different thread. Thanks much! 
The mountains are calling, and I must go.
2015 R-Pod 178 (bought from original owner in 2017)
1998 Ford Expedition (the Beast)
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Richand Cindy

Going back to earlier posts one needs to test whether the water heater is working on propane alone.  Turn off the electric switch on the outside.  Make sure the propane is on and working (you can light the stove).  then turn on the heater switch on the inside of the pod which is turning on the water heater using propane.  The DSI will light but will go off in a minute or two.  If the DSI light does not go off you the heater will shut down (after about three attempts to light) and not provide hot water.  You need to get the unit repaired.  You can then shut off the switch go oustide and turn on the electric switch (make sure the hot water tank has water - turn on hot water faucet and get a stream flowing).  You will have hot water using electric only.  Propane half of the water heater breaking unfortunately is not an uncommon issue.

Actually.. getting water out of the faucet does not tell you the WH has water in it. If the valves are set to "bypass" the very thing they do is send water through the system.. bypassing the water heater.

Also, when "testing" the WH, A) it may take a few attempts to light before it does. Don't assume because it doesn't light in the first attempt, that it has failed. Give it a few tries. and B)Generally, if it doesn't light, it's because of issues in the burner tube due to bugs or wasps. Occasionally, the brain goes bad.

The water also needs to be "coldish" when testing, otherwise the DSI won't ignite, because the thermostat isn't calling for heat.
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 3:40pm
Going back to earlier posts one needs to test whether the water heater is working on propane alone.  Turn off the electric switch on the outside.  Make sure the propane is on and working (you can light the stove).  then turn on the heater switch on the inside of the pod which is turning on the water heater using propane.  The DSI will light but will go off in a minute or two.  If the DSI light does not go off you the heater will shut down (after about three attempts to light) and not provide hot water.  You need to get the unit repaired.  You can then shut off the switch go oustide and turn on the electric switch (make sure the hot water tank has water - turn on hot water faucet and get a stream flowing).  You will have hot water using electric only.  Propane half of the water heater breaking unfortunately is not an uncommon issue.
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
Halibut57 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 11:19am
Thanks Glue Guy - between you and "furpod", I believe you pierced the void.
2017 R-Pod 179
2003 Toyota 4Runner Limited
Halibut57 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 11:17am
THanks again furpod.  Nice to understand my Pod a bit better.  Have a great summer.
2017 R-Pod 179
2003 Toyota 4Runner Limited
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 7:07am
GG has your answers.

The two heating systems are completely separate. Neither system "talks" or is connected to the other. They even have separate thermostats. In fact the propane thermostat is set a few degrees lower then the electric, so if both are available, and it's just "maintaining" water temperature, it will only use the elec. side, so as to save your propane.

The DSI tries to light, because you turned it on. With no gas turned on, you are guaranteed to get a "DSI Fault", because the system couldn't ignite.

And yes DSI means Direct Spark Ignition, which means it doesn't have a "pilot light", but ignites as needed.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>