Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedused 180 vs new 189

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: used 180 vs new 189
    Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 3:12pm
Hi every body. We don't own an r-pod as of yet. However tomorrow(Mon 7/09) we driving 4 hours to look at a 2016 180. Supposedly like new from a dealer in Troy, Oh. If we don't like it or there is a quality problem, we are going to buy a new 189 from Avalon RV, Medina. on Tues. Does anyone have thoughts on which way to go. The difference in price $4,000 between new and old. Also both dealers insist we need wd/sway control, another $500 to $700. We had this on our much larger Jayco we just sold, was hoping to avoid it on this one. Sorry  for being so long winded, but any input appreciated.

Thanks
Greg
GM&CM
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 3:35pm
Hi Greg, what are you towing with?
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Greg&ChrisM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 3:42pm
2015 nissan frontier v6
GM&CM
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 3:49pm
Hey Greg, so I'm sure you have checked your tow vehicle parameters, if you're at 5000 + you a capability, the WDH may assist, but not be necessary. As far as new or used, how handy are you? New with warranty is an asset to new owners, if you are retired like me, I fix my own stuff because I need projects:)
Mike Carter
2015 178
Greg&ChrisM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 3:58pm
I'm leaning toward not getting wdh. both the 180 and 189 are around 2,800 lbs/ 290 tongue weight, the truck is rated at 6500. The warranty is only 1 year. Maybe I answered my question. I can't help feeling the dealers are seeing another 500 to 700 in sales, not what i need. I could add it later if I feel I need it.
GM&CM
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 4:28pm
I tow a 179 with a Ridgeline v6, and am glad that I have a WDH - it is a smoother and more stable ride. As to which pod to get, I would base it on floor plan preference. All trailers have little issues that come up from time to time (and sometimes big issues) and if you are comfortable dealing with them then I'd say go used if you like the trailer. We did the same - our 179 was a year old and we paid $4,500 less than new. Lots of cushion there for modifications, repairs, etc.
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 5:28pm
Greg,

I agree with you. Hook and tow, not like WDHs are a rare item. If you see a need, move forward on improving.
Mike Carter
2015 178
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 5:43pm
Greg & Chris, you don't need to by a WDH from the dealer.  They're much less costly from places like Amazon and eTrailer.  There's no reason you can't set it up yourself, following the directions.  The only thing that will get a little complicated torquing the nuts.  You'll need a good torque wrench anyway to keep the lug nuts properly tightened, and you can use it for the hitch nuts as well.  The only nut that is a problem to tighten is the one for the hitch ball.  I torqued all the nuts on my Fastway e2 except the huge nut on the ball, which I took to a shop where I get other automotive work done and they torqued it for me.

My truck is about the same size and capacity as yours, though much older, and I can say, with several thousand miles of travel, often in very windy condition, that the WDH makes driving much easier and less fatiguing.  It's been a very good investment.

By the way, welcome to the forum.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by Greg&ChrisM

I'm leaning toward not getting wdh. both the 180 and 189 are around 2,800 lbs/ 290 tongue weight, the truck is rated at 6500. The warranty is only 1 year. Maybe I answered my question. I can't help feeling the dealers are seeing another 500 to 700 in sales, not what i need. I could add it later if I feel I need it.
The 180 or 189 are going to be well over 300 lbs when they're loaded up. I think our 179 is over 400. You can buy the WDH yourself & install it yourself. Not a big deal if you follow instructions. It does take a big torque wrench though.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
OldNeumanntapr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 2:07pm
The tongue weight (wet) on my 180 weighed in at 540lbs, with a full propane tank, the power jack, and a group 27 deep cycle battery. I have a V6 Tacoma and just bought an Equalizer 600/6000 WDH which seems to work well. It tows much better and the trailer doesn’t fight the back of the truck on the highway.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>