Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSolar Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solar Questions
    Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 10:36pm
We want to install 2 100 watt solar panels on the roof. We want to know if anyone has done this. Is there a custom rack designed for the Rpod? We have the 179.
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 9:33am
Guess you like camping in the sun?  I like the shade of a pine tree and an extension cord for the solar panels.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 10:30am
Owners have added solar panels on the roof. without knowing what floor plan you have, what you want to accomplish, and what your needs are, it's difficult to give good advice. I suggest you try searching the forum for "solar" tons of info and discussion has gone on over the years.
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 6:01pm
its..... You may want to consider some other options for solar panels than a rigid attached style.  They don't give you a lot of flexibility vis-a-vi where the sunlight is, unless you are parking in the salt flats of Utah or in the Arizona desert.  If that's the case, you may want to invest in a generator to run your AC.  

The flexible panels and the suitcase style panels give you more alternatives to get your panels into the sun, without necessarily having your trailer in the sun.  If I had it to do over again, I'd probably get the suitcase style panels that come with their own controller.  All you have to do is connect them to the battery.

We have a 100W flexible panel.  I have it set up so I can put it on the camper shell [aka topper], on the front or back of the roof of our Pod, or on a table, the ground or anywhere else there is good light.  The times I've used it we've had enough power to meet all our DC power needs, including running the heater in the morning, charging phones and a computer, lights, etc.  We don't have a tele [either DC or AC] but do have a small inverter to charge the computer battery.  We have power to spare.

You may want to do a quick assessment of your DC power consumption and tailor your solar panel wattage to fit your needs.  There is no point in buying way more than you can use unless, of course, you want to sell surplus power to other campers who are running out of watts.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 6:10pm
I have a 100 watt suitcase style Renogy w/built in controller and it provides more than enough power for our day-to-day needs - we too have a 179. We always use propane for our fridge so our 12v requirements are minimal. We're in Colorado so most days we have lots of sun. As lostagain described, we have a long cable on ours so we can move the panels during the day as the sun moves. Not sure I'd want fixed panels (although more often than not our Pod ends up in the sun!). When folded up, the panels are easy to carry and store when travelling. 

FWIW, my son has a van with 100 watts of panels fixed to the roof, but he is usually out in the desert somewhere (he's a climber). 
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 8:49am
We also use the Renogy 100 watt suitcase system. It is great! We have a 25’ cord and can move the panel to follow the sun. We have used it for 2 seasons and it has surpassed our expectations. The panel keeps our  two 6 volt golf cart batteries fully charged. We have been out as long as 2 weeks in one place without shore power and still had plenty of solar power for all of our needs.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 9:02am

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
itsjoprairie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 8:50pm
What did you run with the power? 
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 7:26am
Originally posted by itsjoprairie

What did you run with the power? 

You don't "run" anything with solar. You recharge the battery(ies).

When boondocking, your 12v is running everything except the a/c, microwave, and outlets. You run the fridge on propane, it needs 12v to run it's brain. Water heater on propane, it needs 12v to run it's brain. Lights, entertainment center (on most models), Fantastic Fan, etc all run on 12v.
itsjoprairie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 7:39am
Thanks. I was wondering if you got enough solar from the batteries for a heater or AC. We live in Texas so AC is a huge must when camping here. I didn't think you could get enough from a small solar set up for those!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>