Topic ClosedTow Vehicles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tow Vehicles
    Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 4:52pm
Just read an article on top 10 most reliable vehicles for under 10K. The big 3 were all well represented with the Chevy Silverado (2007) at top of list. I have a 2006 Silverado that has never failed.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by rawellman

Buy a domestic older truck as a near throw away, given the former Big 3's poor reliability record, and hope it doesn't break down for 6 months ?
You've been reading the wrong material. Many, many vehicles, both foreign and domestic easily go 100,000 miles/10 years these days. It's kind of the standard by which vehicles are measured these days.

That said, my brother-in-law is still driving the 1985 Nissan King cab that we gave to him over 10 years ago. It had around 200,000 miles on it when we gave it to him for $1. It could barely get out of its own way, but it was still running.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 7:10pm
Yep.. between a '99, an '04, and a 2014, we put well over 400K miles on Ford Expeditions over the years, many many of them towing either a camper or equipment trailer. Never got left afoot once. I do pull my own maintenance.
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 9:26pm
We also have had great experience with a Ford Expedition. We use it for towing and it does a hreat job. It has the same chassis, engine and components as the ford f150, but with an suv body
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 8:37am
I had a 94 Chevy, extended cab 4X4, that had 342K on it when I sold it. Still going. I also did my own maintenance and fixed anything that failed quickly.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 10:29am
171,500 thus far on our 2012 Highlander with nothing done to it other than regular maintenance items. It gets mostly highway driving (my commute is 40 miles each way through mostly farmland).
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 9:30pm
Poor reliability?  As I mentioned before my 94 F-150 has 318,000 miles and still runs great!  It has the 5.0 V-8 with a stick shift on the floor.  The best part, at work the guys call it "deer-slayer"  as it has accumulated 31 deer kills since I purchased it in 1998 and numerous 'hits' that I don't even keep track of except from year to year.  This year it has hit 3 deer so far, at anywhere between 35-45 mph.  It pays to have a great bumper up front.  Don't know of any newer trucks (unless they are military that could hold up to the same abuse.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
rawellman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 8:44pm
Can't refute your experience with your F-15. That said I'd limit my dusk/dawn and nigh time driving before you get unlucky and have a deer crash through your windshield -- hope it never happens.

My last domestic was a '72 Dodge Charger, 318, 2 brl, 225 hp; it had rust thru at 88K miles above  both front fenders when I bought an '80 Honda Accord.

Since that I buy only Honda and Toyota.  I have NEVER replaced an alternator, power steering pump or starter not to mention rock solid drive trains. Earlier Japaneese vehicles did rot away long before they failed mechanically. My 2003 Camry 5 speed and 2004 Sienna both have around 210 K miles and little to no rust.

Were it not for the Japaneese GM would still be selling inline 6 cylinders getting 18 mpg on a good day. I owned a '64 Pontiac Tempest so I speak from experience.

So say what you want about buying American (most "imports" now are made by American workers) but the Japaneese did the former Big 3 a favor by pushing them to build better vehicles. They incidentally have been savy enough to avoid states where the UAW holds sway and workers don't call the shop steward if they are asked to turn on a light switch that they claim is the electricians job.  If the UAW ever gets into Toyota I will have bought my last Toyota. I'm not anti union and understand that the UAW had an important role at their beginning. I certainly support unions for underpaid and over worked hospitality industry workers; I'm sure there is also a long list of other workers who deserve better pay and benefits.

The root cause of the issue is a difference in cultural values. The Japaneese practice "Continuous Improvement" in all they do. American corporations only worry about how they can make things cheaper to improve the next quarter's balance sheet starting with fat cat CEO multi million dollar salaries.
rawellman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 8:57pm
How does your Highlander handle towing ? Does it have the bullet proof 4lL V6 that is now used in the new 4Runners?

Were starting to think Sequoia with a V8 but they get horrible mileage even when not towing and they are very pricey. The Sequoia is a Tundra with an SUV body.

Also considering the new 4Runner which does have the 4L and a claimed 5000 lb capacity. I have pulled my pod with a new Tacoma with the new Atkinson Cycle 3.5L V6 which is in the new Highlanders and I wasn't impressed -- it still worked harder that I thought it should based on it's engine specs.
Capt Kidd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 9:11pm
So I mostly American?  I had a 1984 Plymouth mini van that I put 384,000 miles on.  Two engines two drive train two sets of front seats but I was happy with it.  I have had 2 PT Cruisers the first was a 2001 the first year and I put 150,000 on it and the next was a 2005 rag top that I also put 150,000+ miles on before I traded it in on a 2016 Dodge Durango V6.  Better mileage by 3 t 4 mpg and uses reglular not premium.  I have about 10,000 miles on it and am really happy with it.  I tow a 2016 R-Pod 179 with it and am really pleased with it.
The Pirate's Pod
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>