FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTow Vehicles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tow Vehicles
    Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 8:51am
Tow Vehicles ?

Anyone towing with a latest model Chrysler Pacifica or most recent Honda Odyssey  ?

I have been towing my 2013 R-177 with my 14 yo, 210 k miles Toyota Sienna but it's time to buy something new. I don't want a truck or an SUV, SUVs don't have the storage space a van does. My Sienna has 225 hp and works hard to pull the Pod and mileage is horrific, 9-10 mpg but I can live with that while towing because when not towing the Sienna gets 24 mpg on the highway.

Given my preference to avoid trucks and SUVs what suggestions does anyone have?

Ron

Midland, MI
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 4:30pm
I commend you on being able to tow with any of those three vehicles. They all have a tow rating in the neighborhood of 3500 lbs. Since the GVWR on the RP-177 is over 3700 lbs, I would call none of them exactly up for the task. That said, you've been OK with the Sienna, so I would go with the one that has the highest torque rating, and cross my fingers.

I would be happier if you were looking at something with a 4500 or 5000 lb tow rating.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
rawellman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 8:57pm
Thanks for your reply, the higher torque rating will be important. I appreciate that no vans are really built for towing even an RPod. I would really strongly consider the redesigned 2019 Sienna but rumors are that it won't be out until early 2019. Toyota does things right and won't take any vehicle to market that might risk their reliability reputation.

I may simply break down and buy $10-$15 K pickup to see how well I like it and buy time until the 2019 Sienna is available.  All the new generation vans have around 290 hp, since I have lived with 225 hp in my 2004 sienna, 290 would be an improvement plus the newer van have very advanced safety features.
Kup-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 9:19pm
I had a 2006 Sienna and after putting 300,000km on it, it was time to go.  We bought a Hyundai Santa Fe XL (AWD) which serves us quite well in comparison with the Sienna.  about a year or two later, we bouhgt our first RPod 178.

The Santa Fe has a 3.3l V-6 and has 5000lbs pulling capacity.  The "sport" driving mode is nice to have since it prevents it from shifting into 6th gear and keeps the revs up.  you can feel the pull on blustery days, but it handles the hills well.

Mind you, my son-in-law has an easier time pulling it with his Ram 1500!! but we still need the 7 seater SUV.

2017 RP-178
2021 F150 5.0l
"Lead me on a level path"
rawellman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 1:14pm
Kup-Pod,

Thanks for your insightful reply.  You sound like us in that you buy vehicles for the long haul --  a vehicles worth starts to be measured at 100 K.

I hadn't thought of a Santa Fe but will look into it especially since it tows better than your previous Sienna.  I was not even considering six cyl vehicles but with your report and a stated 5000 lb towing capability I'm willing to change my mind.

Sincerly,

Ron
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 6:39pm
We have been pleased with our 94 F-150 with 318,000 miles as well as an '08 Explorer and our current '13 Explorer which has a 3.5L V-6 and 290 HP.  Tows well and we average 12 mpg pulling our 177.  We still own and drive the F-150 but like the extra room in the Explorer for storage.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
rawellman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 10:09pm
Jim and Diane,

Good input thank you.  A temporary truck or explorer may be my solution until the 2019 Toyota Sienna is available supposedly early 2019. It likely will have 290 hp or greater.

Ron
Capt Kidd View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 10:40am
I tow with a 2016 Dodge Durango V6.  Just came back from a trip to Roseburg, OR.  Regular at Costco in Roseburg was 2.99 yeah!

I had the cruise set at 60 mph the whole way.  Going up hills I took it out of cruise and held the revs to around 3,ooo rpm.  Speed would down to maybe 45 some times but mostly was able to maintain 50 mph.

When I got to Chico, CA I had averaged 14.7 mph.  I was happy.

On the way up to Roseburg I didn't take it out of cruise and only managed to get 12.3 mpg.  I'm sure coming south it is more down hill but I think the biggest difference was not trying to maintain the 60 mph up hill.
The Pirate's Pod
rawellman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 4:33pm
Capt Kidd,

14.7 mpg is very good, I would be happy too !  I typically buy only new Toyota vehicles and keep them until their dead.

My dilemma coming into focus now is that I really want a van for the extra room they have vs. SUV's.

Adding to the problem is that I want to see what the promised redesigned 2019 Toyota Sienna has to offer.

So what do I do ?

By a decent "tide me over" vehicle expecting to loose no more that $2K ? 

Buy a domestic older truck as a near throw away, given the former Big 3's poor reliability record, and hope it doesn't break down for 6 months ?

Damn Toyota for dragging their feet on the Sienna redesign.
Capt Kidd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 4:40pm
SO I don't know about poor reliablity as I have also a 2007 Dodge 3500 Mega Cab with the 6.7 Cummings diesel and have no problems with it.

Hard choice, I guess I would wait as the 2019 should be out by early fall.
The Pirate's Pod
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>