R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDead battery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dead battery
    Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 5:02pm
Hello all we need your help again   
My husband and I are pulling our pod from phoenix to British Columbia.
After the first day we noticed our battery was not holding a charge but we did not worry about it because all of our stops were full hook ups. This has been our second battery with this pod the first one only lasted 5 months. We thought it was a dud and our dealer replaced it with a new one. We have taken the pod out approximately 12 times since we bought it in September 16, And they were all on short three day camping trips. At some point during the weekend we always have to turn the truck on to charge the battery. We are super conservative with our battery usage. On the third day we noticed the battery was not even recharging so we stopped and bought a new one. this new battery is also no longer holding a charge something must be drawing down the battery., And we have noticed that this happens while we are pulling.
We have solar panels and were able to recharge the battery to full capacity but this morning after three hours of traveling we noticed the battery is completely empty !!!! I thought it might’ve been the fridge so I turned that to the lowest setting possible before we got on the road, But that did not make a difference
obviously there’s a problem.
What could possibly be causing this problem ???
Thanks Cheryl

Life is short,it’s time to roll
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 5:14pm
Is the fridge on battery or propane when you are pulling?  Are you sure the TV can charge a battery thru the plug?  Is the HWH on propane?  Get a book about 12$, on amazon called the 12 volt bible for boats -- applies to RVs as well .  Read it and buy a digital voltmeter for another $10.  
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 5:14pm
Well, you have a drain issue. Something is draining that battery. The fact your TV is not charging may be a clue. The TV adds a different set of issues and you indicted this happens when pulling only. I think you need some expertise and guessing doesn't help you. The fridge should not be issue.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 6:47pm
Whether the fridge is the issue can depend a whole lot on how well your tow vehicle charges the Pod battery while on the road.  I think the fridge is an excellent guess (but just a guess).  It seems logical to run the fridge on 12v while on the road, but it still sucks the juice out of the battery.  It is, arguably, best to run the fridge on propane unless you have 120v hook-ups.

If it's not the fridge, we may need another clue!

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 7:34pm
You have at least a drain issue (as others have mentioned). You probably also have an issue with your TV not supplying 12V to the trailer. If it's not charging with full hookups, then you may also have an issue with the converter (or a bad connection).

I suggest you get a meter that allows you to actually see how much current is being used by your trailer when you think everything is off. Idle current on most R-pods should be less than 100 milliamps.

Then look at the TV not charging and/or converter not charging as separate issues.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 6:03am
Set your fridge to propane, always. Even when traveling. After the furnace, the fridge is the second biggest battery killer. The fridge will use resistance heat to run in DC volts mode.When you are in propane mode, only the electronics of the fridge use power (very little).

The other thing may be your charger/converter. Defective and not charging the battery possibility.

One 12 volt marine/RV "deep cycle" battery is not enough for a weekend running the fridge on 12 volts.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 7:54am
One 12V marine/RV "deep cycle" battery is not enough for overnight let alone a weekend if running the fridge on 12V. Even my dual 6V batteries did not last the night before the refrigerator started beeping the one time I tried. That was the first and last time I tried using 12V to run the refrigerator. Since then, it is either 120V shore power or propane.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 7:59am
Something I have seen. The TV may not be fully set up to supply 12V charge to the TT battery when towing. Many vehicles come with the tow package and a 7 pin connector, but require the addition of something as simple as a fuse to enable the tow 12V capability. Also because it is fused it can fail, I think you need a multimeter to determine just what the TV is supplying. I know you said you used it, but also said it didn't charge while traveling. Just a thought.
Mike Carter
2015 178
crankster78 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 8:44am
Greetings

Plug your TV to the RV and check the voltage at the RV battery.  If the TV is charging the battery, you should see about 13.6 or higher voltage.  Many TV's including my F-150 do not charge the battery.  When traveling I use the propane to run the fridge.  Turn it off when gassing up the TV.  

Crankster78
Crankster 78 R-179 2015
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 3:21pm
Cranster78, Why would your TV not charge the TT battery? Is it connected? To me that is a loss of capability.
Mike Carter
2015 178
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>