R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Picked up a 2019 179 (couple concerning items..)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPicked up a 2019 179 (couple concerning items..)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Picked up a 2019 179 (couple concerning items..)
    Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 4:35pm
So I have a question...

I purchased a new rpod 179 from a dealer in Ohio, I live in Oregon. I just got home and I'm noticing a few things..

1. The toilet leaks.
2. The retaining screws for the blinds in the kitch are ripped out of the wall (nobody has touched them), I have a hard time believing the "jiggled loose" on my road trip.
3. The rubber gasket inside the rpod that is near the top of the slide-out "shifts", it is loose.

How do I get these items fixed if I'm so far from where I purchased the rpod?

Thanks,

-Pete
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by Pete_PDX

So I have a question...

I purchased a new rpod 179 from a dealer in Ohio, ...How do I get these items fixed if I'm so far from where I purchased the rpod?

If it's Couch's, call them ASAP and tell them. My limited experience with them persuades me that they will help you out by finding someone fairly close to you to look at it under the Forest River warranty. If bought from someone else ... ? - Maybe it will require you to work the phones.
Pete_PDX View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 1:12am
Originally posted by Happy Tripping

If it's Couch's, call them ASAP and tell them. My limited experience with them persuades me that they will help you out by finding someone fairly close to you to look at it under the Forest River warranty. If bought from someone else ... ? - Maybe it will require you to work the phones.

Yeah, it's Jeff Couch's. I'll call them tomorrow and let them know what's up.
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 3:48pm
Please get back to us as to how you were treated by Couch. Warranty work is pretty important and a big criticism of Couch, and others like them, is that warranty work will be hard to arrange.

My experience (once) was that they would find a place that would do the work, but it might be an hour's drive down the road. I accepted that, considering the $$ I saved.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 4:12pm
Forest River highly recommends you buy locally for exactly this kind of situation.  Couch's can save you a lot of money on the front end, but cost a lot of time and money on the back end.

None of your problems are very serious and they don't have to be done by an RPod dealer or under warranty.  Warranty work is nice, of course, but even buying your Pod locally can mean a 4 hour round trip to the dealer for service and leaving your Pod for a week or two or six.  There may be other local shops that will do this kind of work.  That's the other side of paying thousands less for your trailer.  And you can always do it yourself.

I hope you find a warranty solution, but the point of view of most local shops is going to be that you want to eat your cake and have it too if you want things done under warranty.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 5:03pm
  We bought our rpod from Couch's RV and had our rpod serviced under warranty at Camping World in Florida.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Pete_PDX View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 2:52pm
I have already contacted Couch's RV. They want pictures and they'll start a warranty on the 179.

So, I just got done taking pictures and I figured I would share. I'm authentically curious about this. I learned that it's not the toilet leaking, rather, when you shower, water gets behind the toilet and leaks through the floor. Here are some pics...

Can you guys take a look? If you have a 179, would you mind peeking behind your toilet to see if the caulk goes all the way back?
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 6:24pm
   I would say that it is warranty problem and take it to a dealer that will take care of it under warranty and have them check for any damage from the leaking water. I still recommend Camping World if there is one close to home. We had very good experience in Florida with the Camping World near our home.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Pete_PDX View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 6:25pm
Yeah I've supplied the images to Couch's.

Thanks for the camping world suggestion.
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 7:54pm
I have a 179 and something doesn't look right to me. I had to pull my toilet this spring to replace the flush valve (it hadn't been winterized properly, didn't realize it until after I'd purchased it used). There wasn't any caulk around the toilet, nor did I caulk it when I replaced it. No leaks. 

Hard to tell from the photo, but almost looks to me like the leak is coming from around the floor drain, not from the toilet (I could be wrong). If its the toilet, I wonder if its just not set properly. Could be as simple as seeing if the toilet bolts are too loose (there are white plastic caps covering the bolts on each side of the toilet base), or maybe the toilet is just not sitting right. If so, it should be possible to loosen and remove the bolts and see if the gasket is seated properly in the toilet flange (should be able to do that without removing the water supply to the toilet).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>