R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedConverter Not Working

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Converter Not Working
    Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 4:25pm
When installing the PD 4655 the internet pictures are better than the black and white printed directions. The wires are crossed meaning the AC wires are on the right side of the converter and DC wires on the left. That means they must be crossed to reach their required connections. Not a big deal they will reach. Go slow triple check the connections take pictures prior and any questions ask. You will be very happy with the PD unit.
Steve
Lexus GX460
R-pod 180 2017
1 black lab
landshark View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 1:13pm
Here is my update.  

So the Progressive Dynamics PD4655 converter arrived within 4 days of ordering off Amazon.ca.  It came with a serial number.  

Install was straight forward.

Now when I plugged in the shore power, the thin red wire on the 4 wire jumper (header) smoked and melted instantly.  

The voltmeter I installed last year does not register a charging from the converter.  If I leave 12 volt things on, it will slowly go down.  I treat my two golf cart 6 volt batteries better than I do my children, so I know they are ok.  

Does the 4 pin jumper wire that send info to the LED indicating charging mode necessary ensure correct operation of the converter?

With the replacement of the WFCO converter with the PD4655, nothing has changed battery charging wise.  I checked all breakers, fuses, grounds, including grounds off battery on trailer frame.  All are ok.  If I turn my battery switch off and only the microwave and the tv work, nothing else.  I am pretty sure other things worked without connection to the 12 volts, like the slideout.  

I read that if the panel that has battery condition and grey/black water buttons, has battery LED light lit (C=Charge?) that the charger/converter is working.  I do get the top red LED lit, but if I run 12 volt til it gets to 12.3 volts it goes down.  Normally the battery LED would go down after 12.5 volts.  

Is there something I am missing, there seems to be a disconnect with the charging system between the batteries and converter?

Thanks for any help.

Bob

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 8:33pm
Smoking and melting wires is never good and indicates a serious wiring issue. Are you sure your polarity is correct?
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
landshark View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Smoking and melting wires is never good and indicates a serious wiring issue. Are you sure your polarity is correct?

Man, I can not believe I got the polarity wrong?  I was so sure I had it right that I did not even bother to check the polarity fuses.  After walking away from the problem, Stephen H comments got me to go back and review my wiring.  

After install of 2 new fuses and connecting the white and black wires properly, everything works great.

Now I just need where I can get a new 4 pin jumper wire to replace the one I fried.

Thanks everyone.

Bob
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 3:15pm
Glad you got it figured out. Sorry I can't help you with the 4-pin jumper wire. Too bad Radio Shack isn't around anymore.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
landshark View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 3:19pm
Yep, miss the old RS.  I have sent a request in to Progressive Dynamics, told them my dog ate the jumper harness.

Bob
Vernonymous View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 6:43pm
Newbie Vernonymous here. Landshark, you mentioned using a 12 volt battery charger for two 6 volt batteries. Are you charging the two batteries together? I need to buy a charger and don't know if I need something to charge them individually or together. With this in mind, what charger do the rest of you recommend for two Trojan T-105 batteries?
landshark View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 6:52pm
Yes, I charge my two 6 Volt batteries (US Batteries-US2200 232 amp hours 20 hr rate) together in series.  I use the NOCO Genius G7200 battery charger. I also use a Renolgy solar battery panel, 100 Watts to keep my batteries charged when boondocking

The charger can do 24 Volt charging which is why I originally bought it as I have a Toyota Land Cruiser HJ60 that runs on 24 Volt.  

Bob
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 7:18pm
When I had the dual 6V batteries out, I kept them hooked together and used my 12V charger with them. In the 'Pod, the converter takes care of them just fine.

---------(+)  6V Battery 1 (-)----------(+)  6V Battery 2  (-)------
Connect+                                                          Connect-

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Podski4us View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 2:20pm
Hello from another newbie. Sorry to interrupt and not too sure where to post my question. I too have a 180 and the power converter is dead. For what I'm reading everybody that had a problem with it seems to go on replacing it. Does anybody knows what really gone bad to it. Maybe it's just a matter of replacing resistor or capacitor. Please help.
Thanks Efren
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>