R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedConverter Not Working

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Converter Not Working
    Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 3:35pm
 WF-8955-PEC 30 converter in my 2015 Rpod 180 that after only 1 year,  is no longer working.  Read about how these unit fail fairly regularly.  I just got back from a 4000 km trip to the Yukon and did some gravel road towing and that may have been the cause (vibration).  My batteries are good, (pair of 6 volt only 8 months old and I never let them get below 12.4 volts.  

I have done all the testing in the owners manual and what I have found on the web and have determined the converter is dead. (tested grounds, breakers, fuses etc)

My options are:
1) Replace with same unit (Amazon.ca) for $270 with free shipping.
2) Replace with Progressive Dynamics PD9260CV Inteli-Power 9200 Series 60 Amp Converter/Charger with Built-in Charge Wizard.  Amazon.ca price is about $380.  (Recommended by member on this forum)

Is the Progressive worth the extra $100?

Thanks

Bob

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 3:46pm
That's not the one you need.. you want the PD Model #PD4655V.. It is designed to be a direct swap. The one you have linked is a deck mount. I don't keep up with CA pricing etc. The PD unit is very much better then the WFCO unit.

But here is an Amazon Link
landshark View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 6:49pm
Thanks furpod for the link and directing me to the correct model.  I can get one on Amazon.ca with prime, CAD $330.

Bob
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 7:23am
BTW, don't order the pendant.. it's near useless, and the circuit board does everything anyways.
Lear111 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 7:28am
I just replaced my WFCO converter with the progressive dynamics 4655. It is a direct replacement and can be done by you. The company warns about internet purchases some that do not come with a serial number. I purchased mine from best converter RV electrical supplies and it was legitimate. Unfortunately my first unit made an unusual noise but progressive was aware of the problem and immediately replaced it with no questions or paperwork. A good American company who stands by their product. Took about 1 hour the first time and 15 minutes the second time for installation. It works great.
Steve
Lexus GX460
R-pod 180 2017
1 black lab
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 10:20am
shark, you may want to contact WFCO about a warranty replacement.  Seems to me their warranty is 2 years, if I recall correctly.  Then you can keep it as a spare after buying the new Progressive Dynamics converter.  Since I recently replaced my WFCO with a new one (still working just fine) this is what I plan to do if there is a failure during the warranty time.

Also, one member suggested putting a little foam cushioning below the converter to dampen the vibrations.  I tried it with a piece of thin carpet pad and all is working nicely.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
landshark View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 10:56am
Originally posted by furpod

BTW, don't order the pendant.. it's near useless, and the circuit board does everything anyways.

What is the "pendant"?  

Thanks
Lear111 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 12:18pm
I agree with lostagain on the WFCO warranty. I kept my old one also as a back up. The pendant is a small box with a light on it that flashes corresponding to the output of the converter. 14.4 volts for fast charge also can force it into that mode with the pendant but not recommended. 13.6 volts for normal mode and 13.2 volts for float or maintaining mode. The pendant came with mine but a cheap voltmeter installed off the distribution box tells you the status without figuring out confusing light flashes.
Steve
Lexus GX460
R-pod 180 2017
1 black lab
landshark View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by lostagain

shark, you may want to contact WFCO about a warranty replacement.  Seems to me their warranty is 2 years, if I recall correctly.  Then you can keep it as a spare after buying the new Progressive Dynamics converter.  Since I recently replaced my WFCO with a new one (still working just fine) this is what I plan to do if there is a failure during the warranty time.

Also, one member suggested putting a little foam cushioning below the converter to dampen the vibrations.  I tried it with a piece of thin carpet pad and all is working nicely.  

Thanks for info about the warranty, I did call my local RV who is an authorized dealer with WFCO products, I do still have 8 months left on my warranty but I need a working converter now. We are currently living out of our RPod 180 while we wait to take possession of our new house.  

The RV shop said they were taking appointments for the middle of August.   They did say I could bring in just the converter (lower part) and get it approved for warranty replacement.  I did buy on Amazon.ca the PD4655V converter, it was $140 CND cheaper than the local RV shop.  

Will cushion the unit as recommended.  

Thanks all for the quick replies, nice to get this fixed quick as need to go get away as we are currently camping at the in-laws. 

Bob  
landshark View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Lear111

I agree with lostagain on the WFCO warranty. I kept my old one also as a back up. The pendant is a small box with a light on it that flashes corresponding to the output of the converter. 14.4 volts for fast charge also can force it into that mode with the pendant but not recommended. 13.6 volts for normal mode and 13.2 volts for float or maintaining mode. The pendant came with mine but a cheap voltmeter installed off the distribution box tells you the status without figuring out confusing light flashes.

Got ya, I have a voltmeter installed so I can read the VDC of the battery  (running 2 6volt, also have a Renology 100 watt panel for boondocking charging).  While I wait for my new converter, i am charging my batteries with a NOCO 7600 smart charger.

Thanks again

Bob
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>