R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedto slideout or not to,.. that is the question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: to slideout or not to,.. that is the question
    Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 11:21am

Slideouts? I don't need no stinkin' slideouts!

Well, I intend this subject to be 'eye catching'.

The special value of an r-pod is the ability to tow it with a reasonably light tow vehicle. Roominess isn't in it. In fact, I believe that once your primary interest becomes 'roominess', none of the r-pods is the best travel trailer choice for you, which is why so many people here have opted for Lances (a name just randomly picked out of the blue) and other, bigger, trailers. 

Now, I will come right out and say that we have a 171 and love it. However, I do have to admit that the limited room in front of the stove requires a 'mealtime waltz' when we have to go back and forth to get stuff. However, accepting this compromise, what we have gained is a lighter travel trailer without the fears of bent frames, or water leakage, or trees in the wrong place for extending the slideout, or jammed slideouts, or the other problems that seem to come with slideouts. 

A 'side tent' like the cheaply constructed but usable r-dome or the better quality Pahaque, cures most of the space problem, anyway. 

So, if you are considering an r-pod, at least give a close look at a 171 or 172 ,with a side tent, before being tempted by a bigger (and more problematic) model.

There, I feel better.
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 12:12pm
Just an off hand guess, maybe this is one reason for 11 different models of R-Pods. "You can have it your way."
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 1:24pm
This is about as useful as never ending posts about other pod related topics that are more a metter of personal choice than data.  I wouldn't have a Pod without a slide,  We enjoy the extra room, and there are very few slide problems compared to the number of RVs with them.  Like every thing else with an RV the problems you list can be avoided with minimal care and maintenance.  If an owner is unable to take care of these then perhaps a trailer is not ideal for them.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 1:25pm
To each their own.. slideouts are an ancient and proven technology.. can they have problems? yes. Is it any kind of regular thing? no. 

The slideout in a 177 vs no slide in a 171, only gives about 8 sqft of space extra, BUT that's just about 40% MORE space.. and while 8 sqft isn't even a nice linen closet, 40% more floor space when you have 2 adults and 2 dogs inside.. is pretty darn nice.

While we fall in the category of the "group who went to something bigger.." we came to R-pods from something even bigger then what we have now..  LOL..

But, it wasn't because the Pod made us unhappy, it was because our needs and usage changed. Week before last we went to the ERU, spent 9 days there, and my wife was able to work from her onboard office space with no issues, while me and the dog did our own thing throughout the day.. So we got to camp and socialize for the whole week, while only burning up 2 days of her vacation time. Works for us. I suspect, in a few more years, when she retires, a 178 is our next TT.. though.. we have a strong desire for a truck camper, now that we again, own a pick-up.
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 1:42pm
I'm not sure what you mean by "bigger (and more problematic) model". Our 179 has been very reliable.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 1:48pm

Well, if the OP is soliciting opinions on the matter......

I suppose I fall into the "to each his own" camp. I agree wholeheartedly that just inches can make a big difference in these things - both in a practical manner and "feel".

My (present) Coleman CT187QB, no slide, at 19'2", falls between the old and the new Pods, length wise. It is a bit wider at 84". I removed the OEM dinette/seating and made a smaller version, in order to gain a few inches of floor space. Dixie appreciates the extra room!

My reasoning in not getting a slide is that I am outside most of the time and the slide would be "just one more thing to fool with". That said, IMHO TTs with slides "feel" much bigger.

My 2010 Coleman is in it's 9th season of camping and the thought of something new has crossed my mind. A part of me finds something smaller attractive. However, I don't know that I could give up the toilet and shower.

mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 2:51pm
When we looked at R-Pods - we saw the 171 and 172. My wifes comment " we already have a teardrop." Personally think fine for some folks, not our cup of tea.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 4:38pm
It's funny that my wife was sold on both our house and our 179 due to the kitchen. She does a lot of baking and has become a pretty good wiz at the convection microwave.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 5:38pm
We owned a 173 (no slide) for 6 years. We loved it and used it extensively, including several 4 week cross country trips. We put a lot of time and effort into mods to make it fit our needs. We thought it was perfect.
Until we saw the 179.
We talked about  them, looked at them, looked at all of the clones and tried to be happy with our 173. Didn’t work. 
We bought a used 179 and now we love it more than the 173. it is MUCH better because of the extra length, the better floor plan and the slide out.  To us, the 179 is luxuriously large, spacious and has lots of storage space. We feel like we have moved up in many ways.
I will probably never own another travel trailer unless it has a slide out.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 5:56pm
We owned a 173 (no slide) for 6 years. We loved it and used it extensively, including several 4 week cross country trips. We put a lot of time and effort into mods to make it fit our needs. We thought it was perfect.
Until we saw the 179.
We talked about  them, looked at them, looked at all of the clones and tried to be happy with our 173. Didn’t work. 
We bought a used 179 and now we love it more than the 173. it is MUCH better because of the extra length, the better floor plan and the slide out.  To us, the 179 is luxuriously large, spacious and has lots of storage space. We feel like we have moved up in many ways.
I will probably never own another travel trailer unless it has a slide out.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply