R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery & Propane case

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery & Propane case
    Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 12:48pm
I've recently had several things stolen from my garage because I made it an easy target and left the side door unlocked.  Part of my response is to secure trailer a bit more....  

Is there anyone out there that other than getting something custom fabricated - that has found a good product that to either secure the propane tank and battery OR works as a cover/container for the propane tank and battery. 

I'm well aware anything is just going to be a deterrent... I just want something that won't make the items an easy target / will slow down people and make it seem like too much trouble worth dealing with.

My guess is I'll end up making something but if anybody has images / URL / product names etc something they are currently using and are satisfied with I'd appreciate suggestions.

Thanks
R-Podder by process of elimination
2014 RP179
2011 GMC CrewCab Short Bed
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 2:10pm
For the batteries, I made a custom lock-down bracket. It isn't foolproof, but it should slow down anyone who is looking for an easy target. I had made a different version previously, but it was too cumbersome to use. This version is much better when it comes time to remove and do maintenance on the batteries (dual 6V). As for the propane tank, I have not locked mine down. So far, we have not had any issues.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
WillG View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 2:18pm
Thanks,
that seems like a simple reasonable solution 
Is that a kill switch for battery when not in use?
I wanted to add one of those also - I saw an earlier thread about instructions that had been posted by another member but search came up short so I was going to resort to YouTube.....

Much appreciated.
R-Podder by process of elimination
2014 RP179
2011 GMC CrewCab Short Bed
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 3:29pm
Yes. It is for the times we have had to take it for repair and have not had shore power available to keep the batteries charged. It eliminates totally the parasitic draws of the CO/LP detector, refrigerator circuitry, etc.

The disconnect switch was ordered from Amazon. It is waterproof so having it exposed to weather is not an issue. It is wired so that the negative terminal of the batteries connects to one terminal and the negative wire for the R-Pod connects to the other terminal. It is simple to install. I drilled a hole with a hole saw in the lid of one battery box and then four holes for the bolts. I just had to make sure that there was clearance for it above the battery (not above the posts or caps).
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 7:21pm
We just ran a chain around each plastic battery box that is tight enough that it can't be easily slipped off the boxes.  The bitter ends of the chain go around each box and on the way pass through the handles of the propane tank.  Each end is padlocked with a fairly decent Master outdoor grade padlock.  The only way to get the batteries out or the tank off is to cut the chain.  It's far from thief proof, but it's makes it a hassle to take, thus at least keeping the lazy snatch and grab thieves at bay.  The only bad thing is it's a little bit of a hassle to get at the batteries or change the propane tank.    
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply