R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow long will a full propane tank last?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: How long will a full propane tank last?
    Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 2:17pm
Question: How long should a full propane tank last before needing to be refilled? I filled my tank on my Coleman Tent trailer once 15 years ago and it still had gas inside when I traded it in on my rPod 180 earlier this month.
We only used the propane for cooking with the tent trailer so it lasted forever. Now with the rPod the propane runs the stove, fridge, hot water heater. I thought that the panel gave info on the status of the propane, but I guess it’s only for the water tanks.

I was planning on running the fridge on 12 volt while on the road but it seems that propane is better for cooling, but it would use more that way and need to be refilled more often.

Would it last for a two-week trip?
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 2:25pm
Best for us is to use shore (AC) power when available. I don't use the battery for the refrigerator having had one experience when the R-Pod was new of discharging my dual 6V batteries in less than 8 hours. Refrigerator on propane uses very little propane. The stove uses more. The water heater and furnace are the big users of propane. So, to answer your question, it all depends on which appliances you use and how much. There is no set answer as to how long it will last. In the summer, you can expect multiple weeks on one tank. In winter, you may only get a few days if it is bitterly cold outside. I speak from experience here. I've camped in both.

Now, given that it is summer, I would expect your full propane tank to last for the two-week trip unless you are running the water heater a lot for long showers (you would run out of water quickly) or spending all day cooking, neither of which are plausible scenarios. Relax and enjoy your two week trip. If you want to get an idea of how much propane you have left, boil some water and pour it over the side of the propane tank. Wait a few seconds and feel the tank. Above the propane tank will still be warm but it will be cooler where the liquid begins and below.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 2:47pm

It should do 2 weeks easy. I use a little more than one 20lbs. tank, per season. The fridge (only) would run about a month on a full tank.

TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 2:51pm
The furnace is the biggest guzzler of propane. If you can avoid using it and use an electric space heater instead (assuming you have shore power), your propane will last a long time. On our last trip, the propane finally got low enough to where I want to refill it before heading out again. That was after more than a year.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
OldNeumanntapr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 3:41pm
Thanks for the tips. I would rather run the fridge on propane while on the road but just didn’t know how much gas it would use. Going to Oregon in late August for the rPod meet up at Cannon Beach. This will be our first major trip with the new 180, and our first real trip for a few years, because of the roof damage from the tent trailer. What an improvement the rPid is over the Coleman!!!
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 3:54pm
I always run the fridge on propane while traveling - that way if we stop for lunch or whatever, it won't run down the battery. FWIW I recently added a 2nd tank to my tongue just to have that insurance - but my last trailer (pre-rpod) we could easily do most of a summer on one tank. We need a little bit of furnace now and again here in the west, but always use lp for hot water, stove, and fridge (we rarely stay in campgrounds where there is ac).
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 6:18am
As Stephen mentioned above, using the battery for the fridge is a no win situation.  The first time we used battery for cooling our fridge, the battery was totally drained in about 6 hours.  We normally camp in spring and fall with a few weekend trips during summer.  Fall camping in the Rockies takes its toll on propane use as we find ourselves in 40 degree weather during evenings so the furnace runs a lot.  We enjoy our national parks, hence no electricity so we are using the battery for everything, hot water, lights, furnace, cooking.  Even with all that useage we may burn through two 20 pound tanks/year but usually only go through one.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 11:32am
What about using the battery for the fridge while driving, like going up I5 for eight hours? Wouldn't the truck's alternator be constantly charging both batteries?
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 1:17pm
It depends on the TV's ability to supply power. Some can and some can't provide adequate power to both charge the batteries and run the refrigerator concurrently. My Nissan Frontier has a 110 AH alternator. I'm not sure what gauge wire is used to supply 12V power. I am not going to risk it. If I had a 130 AH or larger alternator and knew that 10 gauge wire was used to supply power, it would be different.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 11:37pm
My Tacoma has the towing package with the heavy duty alternator, but i don't know offhand how much it outputs.

I guess it's a moot point if the propane option is colder and doesn't use much gas to run the fridge.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>