R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow long will a full propane tank last?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: How long will a full propane tank last?
    Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 8:05am
The vehicle and wiring plays a great part on whether enough power is supplied to both charge the battery and run the refrigerator. Some will, some won't.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 8:02am
46 days on the road in my 182g towed by my Tacoma.

The Tacoma will not only run the frig on Battery, but will also recharge the battery while traveling. The length of the drive will determine how much charge is added to the battery.

My propane tank was 3/4 full as I left for the run. I ran AC power 1/4 the time, propane when camped (boon-docking), battery when traveling. The tank lasted a month.

Heater was on only twice to take the chill off, BBQ, hot water & stovetop each day/evening.

Your tank will go for quite a while. I was very pleased to see how long it lasted.
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Hayduke View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by OldNeumanntapr

Originally posted by Hayduke

My Tacoma has the towing package with the heavy duty alternator, but i don't know offhand how much it outputs.
I guess it's a moot point if the propane option is colder and doesn't use much gas to run the fridge.

Your Tacoma with towing package has a nice upgraded alternator, but the wire gauge to the 7-pin connector is not adequate to run the fridge.  I'd stick with propane while traveling, unless you upgrade the wiring.

Is the factory Tacoma wiring sufficient to charge the trailer battery while on the road or should the wiring still be upgraded?

I wouldn't count on the wiring to charge a drained battery to full in a day of towing.  I think of mine more as a battery maintainer than a charger.
2012 177 HRE
2017 Tacoma Double Cab
OldNeumanntapr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 11:56am
Originally posted by Hayduke

My Tacoma has the towing package with the heavy duty alternator, but i don't know offhand how much it outputs.
I guess it's a moot point if the propane option is colder and doesn't use much gas to run the fridge.

Your Tacoma with towing package has a nice upgraded alternator, but the wire gauge to the 7-pin connector is not adequate to run the fridge.  I'd stick with propane while traveling, unless you upgrade the wiring.

Is the factory Tacoma wiring sufficient to charge the trailer battery while on the road or should the wiring still be upgraded?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 12:00pm
Thanks all for the advice. Looks like LPG is the way to go.
Hayduke View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 11:37am

2012 177 HRE
2017 Tacoma Double Cab
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 8:53am
You might be fine using the battery while driving.  Worst case your food won't be cold or you might need a jump start once.  After that, you'll use propane!  But, really, if your truck is set up for it, you could be good.  Keep in mind, if you stop for an hour or two either your truck battery could be drained or the power will be cut off to the trailer so your ice cream might melt.

To your original question, I spent a very cold few days in the Smoky Mountains one winter and went through a 20lb bottle of propane in about 2.5 days.  I have a dual tank system now, that switches automatically to the full tank one one gets empty, and, kind of belt-and-suspenders, I have Mopeka.com tank monitors on my tanks, so I can accurately check what's in the tanks on my phone.  Haven't run out since.  Normally, in sane people camping seasons, a 20# bottle of propane will last months.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 11:37pm

StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 1:17pm
It depends on the TV's ability to supply power. Some can and some can't provide adequate power to both charge the batteries and run the refrigerator concurrently. My Nissan Frontier has a 110 AH alternator. I'm not sure what gauge wire is used to supply 12V power. I am not going to risk it. If I had a 130 AH or larger alternator and knew that 10 gauge wire was used to supply power, it would be different.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 11:32am
What about using the battery for the fridge while driving, like going up I5 for eight hours? Wouldn't the truck's alternator be constantly charging both batteries?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>