R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR Pod Advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R Pod Advice
    Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 8:36pm
I'm new here (my first post) and while shopping for a travel trailer, fell in love with the R Pod concept.  Is an R Pod 190 is big enough for myself (6'7", 300lbs), wife, 11 year old daughter, and 2 medium size dogs (20lb and 30lb)?  I have a 2016 Chevy Silverado V8 (3.08 gear ratio).  The gear ratio is actually what led me to the R Pods to begin with.  While those gears are great for daily mpg, they only allow for a factory tow max of 6100lbs.  We will be taking the R Pod to Yellowstone next month for 2 weeks.  

Is an R Pod 190 big enough for my crew and if anyone has a similar truck with high gear ratio, how does the R Pod tow in the Mountains?

Thanks in advance.
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 9:11pm
Welcome to the board Wadecool.  I think you might find it a little bit cramped, especially since all the beds seem to max out at 74" and  you're a tad taller.  You'd have to sleep diagonally on the bed.  The wet bath is also going to be a little cramped, as would, likely, the fancy bath with the separate shower.  Even with the slide out, it's pretty cramped in there.  Seems to me you may want to look for something just a little bigger, but with the Pod, the 190 would be your best hope. 
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 10:33pm
I'm 6'1", 180 lbs. My wife is 5'2". We travel in a 179 with one small dog (18 lbs). The wet bath is just barely big enough for me. The bed is just barely big enough for me, but it works. The 190 bath would work better for you, but I cant imagine the bed working with your height/size. And no idea how your daughter and 50 lbs of dog would work in the dinette bed. My advice - look for something bigger. Maybe just rent something for the 2 wks? I think that you need to take more time figuring out what would work best for you.
Kup-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 8:04am
I agree with Ben Herman, I'm also 6-1 and for sleeping, since the beds are configured across the trailer width wise, if my head is right near the one wall, my feet are touching the other wall.  It works but if you're any taller it will be a problem.
2017 RP-178
2021 F150 5.0l
"Lead me on a level path"
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 8:16am

Welcome to the forum!

My opinion......If it were me, I would take a look at one of these: http://www.forestriverinc.com/travel-trailers/no-boundaries

One of the 19s would be interesting. Also, I think they are even made in the same facility as Rpods.

Good luck!

wadecool View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 3:55pm
I appreciate the feedback! I’ guess I’ll either have to learn to sleep in the fetal position or wait til an R Pod comes out with a bigge bed.
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by wadecool

I appreciate the feedback! I’ guess I’ll either have to learn to sleep in the fetal position or wait til an R Pod comes out with a bigge bed.

There are a number of smaller (20+/- ft) trailers that have the bed oriented parallel with the trailer rather than width-wise like the rpod. My neighbor just bought one that has a murphy bed that might be worth looking at. It might be worth your while to take a few days and visit local rv dealers to see whats out there. We did that before we bought the pod; but it was interesting to see what other manufacturers do. You are likely to find something that would work better for your needs. 
 Post Reply Post Reply