R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRP179 Brake question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: RP179 Brake question
    Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 10:39pm
I noticed on our recent trip that the door side tire was wearing much more quickly than the slide-side tire. I have no idea why this should be the case. The wear pattern is not indicating an alignment issue. The one thing I did notice is that again, the brakes on the door side are very tight. I had adjusted them more than once to allow the wheel to not drag, but again, the brakes on the door side were so tight that I could not spin the wheel. I could turn it but it was tight.

Why would the brakes on the door side get so tight when the brakes on the slide side do not?
Could the tight brakes be contributing to the excessive tire wear?
I don't think I am loading the door side that much heavier than the slide side.

Anybody else have this problem of excessive tire wear and tight brakes on the door side? If so, were you able to solve it? If so, how?
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 8:39am
SH,

You should also see excessive heat from that hub. Like the semi on the road with a smoking wheel. After adjusting brakes to drum, the only thing that would effect the further adjustment is the self adjuster on that wheel. I have had drum brakes fail when a self adjuster is not working correctly or part of that mechanism is not working correctly. Perhaps you can remove the drum and have someone operate brake and see what shoes do. The other thing and this is outside the box, is a possible issue with ebrake switch, long shot especially when talking about voltage to both brakes. Lasty here's a link to a guy fixing a sticking brake with bad bushing. Might help. Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xSgQp10gEU
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 10:08am
The thing is that I haven't noticed excessive heat. Both sides feel about the same whenever we stop and I touch them. I don't see heat discoloration on the drum. It is much tighter than the other side. I'll check out the video and get the nerve up to pull the drum and see what it looks like inside.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 10:54am
Very interested in what you find, no heat makes no sense. Draggging brakes get HOT.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Bretboulder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 11:12am
I am having a similar problem with my 2015 Model 178 where the brake on the door side continues to stick, but I have not seen uneven tire wear. Sorry about not having a solution to tire wear.

I do have a question to others about a sticking/dragging brake, which is always on the door side wheel. When it first happened the RV shop told me wheel bearing grease got on the brake so the breaks were replaced. Two months later the same thing happened again - very grabby brake and the brake hub is very hot. I took it back to the shop and they said it just needed an adjustment. Now a few months later the same thing is happening. I am considering taking it to another RV shop but first wanted to see if anyone has had a similar problem and what the solution is. Thanks, Bret
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 4:20pm
Well, a contaminated brake doesn't necessarily stick, it slips. That can cause heat. The fact the hub is hot is an indication of the brake being overly applied to that wheel. The brake could be not adjusted correctly or the problem could be the brake is not working properly. I think you need a reputable shop familiar with trailer brakes. When you adjust those brakes they should be close enough to hub to move and engage with signal. not so far they can't engage and not so close they always engage. AND of course they have to not be contaminated. I recommend finding a shop that knows how this works.
Mike Carter
2015 178
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 5:08pm
I will see if I can find a shop nearby that can check them. After all the miles we have done, it probably is a good idea. Hopefully, we can get it scheduled and done before our next trip.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 5:20pm
Think so. My experience is as stated no heat, no drag. Something else happening there and you are a country wide guy.
Mike Carter
2015 178
sean p View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 6:37am
My tire wear on my 179 last year was do to a slightly bent axel. they told me it was a factory defect asa i only put 5000 miles on her when she needed fixing and NEW tires .
2016 179pod--BETTY
2010 nissan frontier
Sean and Doug
Butchie the morkie
touring the west
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 6:45am
Originally posted by sean p

My tire wear on my 179 last year was do to a slightly bent axel. they told me it was a factory defect asa i only put 5000 miles on her when she needed fixing and NEW tires .
Please describe the wear the tire had so I can see if this is possibly a cause. Was it only on one side or was it on both sides?
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>