R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedstill can't decide which WDH rating

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: still can't decide which WDH rating
    Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by OldNeumanntapr

Will the 600/6000 model transfer more weight to the trailer axle? I was told it wasn't a good idea to load up that axle too much.

On a side point:
Anyone here with a Tacoma with the factory BFG Rugged Trail TAs? My front tires are six-years old and are cracking where the sidewall meets the tread, which I've heard is a characteristic of BFG Rugged Trail tires. I want to replace the front two with a different brand. Someone suggested Hancook. Are they good? Any other recommendations?

The WDH won't transfer more than it is set to. The idea is to transfer enough to the front tires to level out both the TV and the TT. That's the whole point of going through the setup procedure.

WRT Tires: What is the date code on your tires? It will be a 4-digit number stamped on the sidewall. It shows the year/week that the tires were made. For example, 1220 were made in the 20th week of 2012, and would be recommended to retire in the 20th week of 2018 (about where we are).
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
OldNeumanntapr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 3:25pm
Date code on the front tires are from 2012 and will be retired this summer before the Oregon trip. The rear tires are from 2015. 
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 4:01pm
When on the edge of tongue weight and trying to select a WDH , it's always better to get the next higher ones, rather than the rating that just barely satisfies the requriement. it sounds like you HSOULD have 600 pound bars. If they sell in 200 pound steps get the 600 pound bars.

My EMPTY trailer tongue is about 555 pounds, but if I am loaded, and both my gray and black are nearly full, I will be right at 770 pounds. So i opted for 1000 pound bars., rather than 800 pound bars per recommendations. Sway control is still very active even at lighter tongue loads, and on my Blue OX I only have to move one chain link from light tongue to heavy tongue to correct tow vehicle sag.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 12:21pm
No issues at all with the 600/6000 E2 on our 179 and Highlander. The Highlander is even unibody, so if any vehicle had a problem, ours would.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 12:58pm
Thanks. I will be ordering an Equalizer 600/6000 in the next few days.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 10:07pm
Just had Heacock Trailers, the local hitch shop, install my new Equalizer 600/6000. WHAT A HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!!
Just driving it 13 miles home on both two lane roads and the freeway I can tell a big difference. No more bouncing when going over freeway bridges like before. I noticed with the standard ball hitch that the front of the trailer would sometimes
move the back of the truck side to side while on the freeway, like it was sashaying from side to side. That has stopped now with the new WDH. I was surprised when they weighed the tongue that it clocked in at 540 lbs!!! Wow!
Full propane tank, full water tank, and group 27 marine battery really add to the weight. (I tried to load the trailer up as if we were leaving on a trip, so that they could accurately access the weight distribution.)

The ONLY bummer is that one of the mechanics put a hole in the diamond plate (not very tough is it?) with one of the Equalizer side bars during installation. Matt, the owner, said he would order a new diamond plate from Forest River. and install it free because it was their fault. I have to bring the trailer up there again which is a pain. Brand new trailer and there is already a hole in the front!
Billy Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 10:09am
i have a brand new 190 and i also went with the 600/6000 hitch.....very good investment....the trailer pulls like a dream and very little sway if any.
2019 RPOD 190
2017 Chev Colorado 4 X 4
Yellow Lab and English Springer Spaniel
zen2b1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 2:21pm
I was 'advised' by my RPOD retailer when I bought my 171, that due to it's light tongue and overall weight (2340 ?) I would only need a sway control arm...weight distribution would be useless at less that 5000 lbs (overall) and less that 500 (tongue weight).   I pulled it back from Oklahoma City to NM and it towed very easily..., However; I did notice some "groaning" noises coming out of the front steering or shocks...but the 4  runner was completely level....I am thinking an E2 (600/6000) would remedy this problem?  171 pulled by v6 4 runner.  on the border of needing wd hitch?  I think ToolManJohn may be right...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 3:10pm
Depending on how you set it up you can emphasize sway control over weight distribution.
I love my Equalizer!!!
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 3:15pm
zen2b1, what is the change in ride height for the front of your 4-runner with and without the pod attached?It may be "completely leveled", but still unloaded on the front axle. The only way you'll know for sure is by taking it to a weigh station or use your own scales to find out what the individual axle loading is with and without the trailer. OTOH, if it tows well, without sway, you may be fine.

We love our E2.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>