R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedstill can't decide which WDH rating

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: still can't decide which WDH rating
    Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 1:29am
Looking to purchase an Equalizer WDH. As I understand, the rPod is a little under 4,000 lbs wet. The brochure lists the tongue weight for the 180 as 340 lbs, but there is some question if that includes the weight of the battery (64 lbs), full propane take (approx 37 lbs), and power tongue jack (24 lbs). People here have suggested both the 400/4000 model and the 600/6000 model. I don't want to load up the trailer axel too much with a bigger weight distributing hitch than I need, because of the single-axel trailer. On the other hand, I would like to have a bit of leeway on the tongue weight.

I talked with the local trailer hitch shop and told him that etrailer.com wanted an EXACT tongue weight before they could make a recommendation. I estimated a little over 400 lbs so they suggested the 600/6000. I told the hitch shop owner that my PreRunner only dropped an inch when I hitched up the rPod and he was shocked. He said that the tongue weight must not be that much so he thought I should go with the smaller 400/4000. Should I take the trailer to the local truck stop and have the tongue weighed to be certain?

Mostly I want the 4-point sway control that the Equalizer offers, and I also want to better distribute the weight so my rear tires are not being overloaded. I figured that even one inch lowered in the back would still affect my headlights, and I don't want people flashing high beams at me like when I had my tent trailer on my 2002 5-lug four cylinder.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 8:38am
So far, I have never seen an issue, nor felt bad about recommending 600 pound bars for any Pod. It is in fact what most pod owners use.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 9:04am
When we got our RP-179, the dealer told us the 600/6000 was the best choice for this size of trailer. We never questioned it, we just did it. We've never had an issue.

Don't forget that in order to get the balance, the weight bars and hitch have to be adjusted for the TV/TT combination. The difference will be that he 400/4000 will be at 90% (or close to that), and the 600/6000 will be at 60% (or close to that).
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
OldNeumanntapr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 10:23am
Will the 600/6000 model transfer more weight to the trailer axel? I was told it wasn't a good idea to load up that axel too much.

I have a shell on the truck, but don't plan on carrying anything heavy in the bed. Just an ice chest for drinks and a small bin with a little bit of firewood, no more than a night or two worth. I know that all goes into the tongue weight calculation.

I do like the 90% 60% comment. Good point. I'm leaning toward the 600/6000.

On a side point:
Anyone here with a Tacoma with the factory BFG Rugged Trail TAs? My front tires are six-years old and are cracking where the sidewall meets the tread, which I've heard is a characteristic of BFG Rugged Trail tires. I want to replace the front two with a different brand. Someone suggested Hancook. Are they good? Any other recommendations?
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 10:42am
Go with the 6000/600 Equalizer. The smaller model is close to it's capacity and leaves no room for growth. I used the E2 6000/600 with an RP 172/Honda Pilot combo and still use it on my CampLite 21RBS/Tacoma rig.

As for Tacoma tires, look at BFG AT/KO2s. Great tires.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 11:08am
Go to your local reputable hitch dealer/installer with your TV and specs for your trailer.  They'll set you up with a WD hitch, sway control and brake controller.

We're lucky to have Council Hitch, 219 N 16th St Council Bluffs, IA 51501. 712-322-4717 near by.  (Shameless plug for a great business.)  Many local RV dealers use and recommend them.
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 11:46am
Originally posted by OldNeumanntapr

Will the 600/6000 model transfer more weight to the trailer axel? I was told it wasn't a good idea to load up that axel too much.

They're adjustable, so you set them where they need to be.  You could get a 600/6000 and set it up to not transfer any weight or, probably not with a 600/6000, but you could take all of the weight off the rear axle and take the rear tires off entirely. (Not recommended.)

Anyone here with a Tacoma with the factory BFG Rugged Trail TAs? My front tires are six-years old and are cracking where the sidewall meets the tread, which I've heard is a characteristic of BFG Rugged Trail tires.

Sounds more like a characteristic of 6-year old tires.  If you've gotten six years out of them I'd put another set on in a heartbeat!

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

Go with the 6000/600 Equalizer. The smaller model is close to it's capacity and leaves no room for growth. I used the E2 6000/600 with an RP 172/Honda Pilot combo and still use it on my CampLite 21RBS/Tacoma rig.

As for Tacoma tires, look at BFG AT/KO2s. Great tires.

Thanks. Good point on the being close to capacity.

I've had BFG All Terrains before. They are good but VERY expensive, and not good for gas mileage.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by crw8sr

Go to your local reputable hitch dealer/installer with your TV and specs for your trailer.  They'll set you up with a WD hitch, sway control and brake controller.

I have a Draw Tite digital brake controller that was just installed by the rPod dealer. THEY told me I didn't need the WDH, but I think I'd like to have it, if for nothing more than the sway control. 

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 12:41pm
Just got off the phone with eTrailer. They were VERY helpful! I explained what I had and they thought the 600/6000 lb model of the Equalizer was best. She said the tongue weight range of that model was from 200 to 600 lbs, so it would be the best match for the rPod.

I also called the RV dealer where we purchased from and they recommended the same model. They said that the 340 lb tongue weight on the brochure did include the battery, propane tank, etc.

Awesome! I will be ordering soon, and I have an appointment for installation on June 28th.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>