This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed4-cyl towing thoughts?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4-cyl towing thoughts?
    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 10:42am
Originally posted by ronahue

Certainly this vehicle would be marginal at best for what you want to do. I have had 4 Subaru Outbacks and think are are a fantastic car. Besides the obvious weight issue I would have 2 concerns, the frontal area of the r-pod and the CVT transmission. See if you can find out if their is a frontal area restriction, I know my Frontier has a restriction if 39 square feet which puts my r-179 right on the edge. While I love the CVT in my Outback I have no idea how it will stand up to towing a trailer. Good luck.
I did not see in the OP where a CVT was mentioned. However, if that is the case, I would never dream of towing with a vehicle with a CVT. At least not today. Someday maybe, but then again...
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
ronahue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 10:44am
I may be wrong but I believe that since 2015 the Outback has come only with the CVT no standard transmissions.
Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 12:44pm
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the outback has a max tongue weight of 200 pounds. My 172 has 250 + pound tongue weight. I actually traded my outback when I bought my pod. Everything together just sounded wrong. The low tow capacity, 200 pound tongue weight, unibody (no wdh recommended) cvt transmission all were headed in the wrong direction. I have seen a few people online that say they use a subaru outback to tow a pod, but I don't see many. I originally thought, "we don't bring much stuff, we should be ok", but thankfully i opted for the frontier. Reality is, you're gonna want to bring lots of stuff.

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 1:50pm
So in essence, the Outback just sounds like the wrong vehicle for towing, unless you're towing something really small and low profile (like a pop up). Too light, too small, wrong transmission, unibody. You don't even have to look at he engine.
bp
TrailerTrish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 1:33am
Thanks for all the suggestions. I’m a little overwhelmed by the breadth and quantity of opinion. I still haven’t finished digesting all of them. 

I just want to toss out that we already ARE towing, we HAVE towed over the Rockies and the Sierras, and the vehicle feels quite comfortable doing that. In CA, the highway speed limit for trailers is 55, and we tend to not exceed 60 anywhere. We don’t see the point in trying to go any faster - less control and higher fuel consumption. We aren’t in any hurry.  We don’t feel that it’s unsafe, and we bought the four-cylinder at the same time we bought the A-frame for that specific purpose. We bought the trailer at Camping World and they were aware of what we were considering for towing. You may or may not like Camping World - I certainly have my issues with them – but their shop didn’t think it would be a problem. Perhaps we’re shortening the engine life, but it only has 20,000 miles on it so far, so I think it has a ways to go.  We only do this a few weeks year. 

Getting a new TV is not an option. It’s a matter of towing or not towing an R Pod with what we have. Our current A-frame, a FR Flagstaff T12RB, is 2014 pounds according to ForestRiver. We have no add-ons and even have a subtraction: we use the dinette as a full-time second bed, so we took out the heavy particleboard table and replaced it with a much lighter sheet of plywood.  And we have very little in it. There are no cabinets to speak of, so we don’t carry anything. The small area under the sink holds less than 10 pounds of backpacking pots and pans, and the small drawer under the microwave holds our owners manual and registration.  We’ve never carried water ever. I do my dishes out at the camp spigot. 
In the outside hatches, we have plastic chocks and levelers, two folding lawnchairs and the electrical cord - that came with it.  And a small welcome mat to wipe our feet. We are not overloaded. 

Years ago, driving through Montana, we came across a poor dumb yuck who had been towing an overloaded travel trailer with a pickup. He must’ve been moving because it was loaded to the gills. And the reason I know it was loaded to the gills is because all his belongings were spread across the highway and down the embankment. He had spun, the trailer torqued onto its side, slid to the edge and had burst open. It was a mess and we felt sorry for him, but as soon as I ascertained that he wasn’t hurt, that he had a cell phone and had called for help, we drove around him and headed on. There was nothing we could do for him. But that stays in our mind and we have no intention of being like that poor guy. 

If we can’t do an R Pod, maybe we’ll just stick with the A-frame and I’ll keep suffering through going outside to pee at 3 AM at 35°.  We are in our 70s and I don’t think we have that much traveling left in us. I just thought I’d like to be a little more comfortable for our last year or two on the road.  I looked at a Scamp on Craigslist, but my 6’2” husband had to tip his head to the side to stand up. :(  If this doesn’t work, my next option might be to look at a VW Rialta. Fully self-contained and they still get something like 20 mpg.

One more question. The older RPods are several hundred pounds lighter than the new ones. If we strip off the roof AC, might that help? (I understand it wouldn’t do anything about the wind loading, just the weight and top heaviness).  Or once an AC is put on, is it possible to even close up that hole? (And in any used one, any TV/video would be tossed. We have our Kindles and iPad.)  But maybe the wind loading is the big stumbling block anyway and everything else is moot...  

Thank you so much for all of your answers, suggestions, and thoughts! 
Trish
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 6:48am
If you are unwilling to change vehicles, (and I totally understand that), then the Pod just isn't for you. The A frame you tow, has almost no frontal area when collapsed and towing. An R-Pod is a 8 foot by 7 foot wall.

Side note.. DO NOT buy a Rialta. or at least do a ton of research first.. Every single owner I have ever talked to, said the two best days of ownership were the day they bought and the day they sold.. (and the wife and I love VW's.. one in the drive right now, 6 in our "history" together)
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 10:11am
Trish, if you are in your 70's you have plenty more time for camping.  And you are absolutely right about the 3 a.m. issue.  That's one of the reasons we went to a Pod with a functional head, especially if it's raining or worse.  With our 172, we have no frills and I have taken out as much as I have added in weight.  That version comes with bunk beds up front, one of which I removed.  We also replaced the table with one that weighs a 10th of the original.  But in the end, Furpod is right, you may be able to get the weight down to something pretty close to your car's capacity, though certainly not below, but you still have the issue of windage.  Wind resistance on a full height trailer puts a tremendous load on your drivetrain and can affect the stability of your car on the road. 

With your 3 a.m. issue, do you have room to put a porta-potty in your popup?  I used one on my first sailboat and it worked fine.  The seat section separates from the holding tank, which is about the size of a small carry-on suitcase and is easy to carry to dump in a toilet.  You can get one for about $60. 

Again, best of luck.  And please continue to post, even if you don't have a Pod.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 10:23am
Sage advice from furpod and lostagain. The weight is certainly an issue, but the much larger issue is the frontal area. While an R-pod may be light, it does have a significant wind load. Do not ignore the wind resistance.
bp
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 10:50am
A wind deflector such as the AeroPlus from Purpleline or the AeroShield from Icon helps, but not enough to compensate for too much frontal area. The advice above is very sound. We just returned from a trip of close to 6500 miles with our 179 (Frontier tow vehicle). You would do well if you could manage to catch a strong tailwind every time, but probability is that you will encounter head- and crosswinds which will exacerbate the frontal area problem. Check Subaru's towing guide (should be specified in your manual as I could not find anything from Subaru online except the towing limit). For that vehicle, the pop-up is the best choice. As Fred stated above, perhaps you could fit a portable toilet in for the times it is neccessary at night. Eventually, you will be able to trade tow vehicles and then it would be time to revisit the R-Pods or even something a bit larger with a walk-around bed.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
TrailerTrish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 11:50am
 2” comes to mind, but it’s been three years since we did this. Camping World installed our hitch to tow the 2000+ lb A frame we had bought and recommended something much heavier than the bare minimum. 
Thanks for the link – lots of good info! I know there are a lot of factors involved and we don’t understand them all.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>