R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew to Rpod. New to camper trailer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to Rpod. New to camper trailer
    Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 10:53pm
Howdy!! We have just bought a 2016 Rpod 180...so exciting! We really are newbie campers as we camped so long ago we forget it all. 

What I’m looking for are some tips and advice around setting up the interior of this fun trailer. We are going for a practice overnight this week before we head out for about 4 days in a week or so. Please share any wisdom. 

This used Rpod doesn’t have a microwave, and we likely won’t have a camper bbq by this week.....we won’t starve!!, LOL. 
poston View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by Trigirl

Howdy!! We have just bought a 2016 Rpod 180...so exciting! We really are newbie campers as we camped so long ago we forget it all.

Howdy yourself!  We just bought a 2016 180 also, and we're new to camping trailers too.  We've been tent camping.  

As a matter of fact, we just came in from the driveway, trying to figure out how to set up the R-dome.  Got it up in about 30 minutes, but getting it tightly tensioned and everything will have to wait until we have more sunlight!

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 5:53am
Setting up the dome just take practice and repetition. We started out the same and had it down to roughly ten minutes after a short time.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Trigirl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 9:43am
We have a canopy, not the dome on ours. We haven’t tried it yet! 
poston View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Leo B

Setting up the dome just take practice and repetition. We started out the same and had it down to roughly ten minutes after a short time.

Yeah, if you've set up tents before, it's not too hard.  I can see that it might be harder if the Keder rail gets dirty.

Our only fail was not getting the arch pole onto the sleeve.  We were looking for a sleeve on the inside!  In the sunlight, it was easy to see.  Thumbs Up

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 5:39pm

What I’m looking for are some tips and advice around setting up the interior of this fun trailer. We are going for a practice overnight this week before we head out for about 4 days in a week or so. Please share any wisdom. 

This used Rpod doesn’t have a microwave, and we likely won’t have a camper bbq by this week.....we won’t starve!!, LOL. 

Tgirl take a look at the different mod threads here on the forum and you'll find a ton of ideas on the different ways people have set up their camper interior. Enjoy!
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
Blender Bob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 9:06am
If dry camping, a couple of small plastic tubs, small enough to fix in the sink with the cover on -- helps rinsing dishes to conserve water. Also, small broom and dust pan. Also got a small trash bin, (one that can be stored under the sink for travel) to catch the little things not needed. Also have a small white, soft canvas tarp, like painters use, for outside next to the stair to hold shoes before coming in.  ENJOY!  
Bob
2015 Chevy Colorado Z71
2018 178 R-pod Hood River Edition
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 11:45am

Welcome Trigirl (and Poston) !
From one 180 owner to another here's a few tips.

The 180 is lacking in storage, especially clothes, and cooking stuff. There are a few ways around this with added shelves and drawers and such, see my mod link by my signature at the bottom.
We started out with bins under the bed for clothes, but after mods we no longer need them.

We use the single drawer under the dinette seat for pans and such and kitchen drawers for kitchen utensils and such, The cab above the sink and half the dinette uppers  for kitchen dry goods and plates/cups & such.
Baskets and bins are everywhere and in everything.

My wife removed the bottom drawer from the fridge day one so we could put milk/wine bottles in the door shelf, and found a plastic clear bin at BB&B that fit perfect.

The fresh water tank is in front of the axle  on the 180 and full will add over 100 lbs to the tongue weight while towing and the black water and grey water tanks are behind the axle and when full reduce tongue weight by 100 lbs or so,( with an empty fresh tank). Plan accordingly depending on what you tow with.

Always leave at least 1/2" of water (About 5 Gallons) in the black tan or you will get a nice pyramid that is very stubborn to remove. 
Battery usage is a big discussion with many opinions. IMHO  Don't let a 12 volt RV battery go below 50%, and install a volt meter or carry a portable volt meter. 

There is way more you get to learn about depending how and where you camp, Boondocking?, drycamping with water only 100' away? , partial RV hookups?  full rv hookups? It's all fun and you will learn as you go :)
Have Fun!! John 

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

poston View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by voisj

There are a few ways around this with added shelves and drawers and such, see my mod link by my signature at the bottom.

Not meaning to hijack Trigirl's thread, but I wanted to thank you for all your great posts about mods.  In fact, my wife and I pored over your mods and descriptions before we even bought our pod.  We figure we must think like you, because they all make sense.  We don't want to make a cheap knockoff of the Slopod, but your ideas and execution are so good!

Keep up the good work!

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 10:33am
:), It's All fun.
I ran into Crazycoyote in his 180 in AZ last week at a campground, 2 180 mod nuts together, so much fun! He made a video (Utube- search " RP180 RPOD MODS 2017 Trailer" 
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>