FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTurning Full-Time - Event Date: 07 Jun 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Turning Full-Time
    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 12:19pm
Hi folks!

I'm heading out in a month or so to live & travel full time across the Midwest from Florida. I have a Forest River RPod 179. It'll be myself, and my 2 dogs. I do have experience travelling & camping in my trailer ,but this will be my 1st full-time living scenario. 
If there's any " i wish i would have known this, or wish I thought of that" advice anyone would like share i t would be appreciated ?  Also, any advice in general like must have tools, what to know                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

when it come to maintenance when you're a full-time traveler, and common things that could go wrong?                        

Thanks in advance
-K 2017 RPod 179

Thank:
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 1:41pm
Essentially, it will be like your previous experiences, but just longer. Make sure your 179 is in good shape before you leave. Check the torque of the lug nuts and the torque of your hitch if the manual specifies. Check your battery/batteries for the appropriate amount of electrolyte unless it/they are maintenance free and add distilled water if needed to make sure the level is above the plates (or have it done for you). Keep track of your gas use. While the refrigerator and stove don't use much, the water heater does use more so if you don't want to run out, have a spare tank or take the tank to be filled before it is critical. You don't want to run out in the middle of the night since the battery will not run the refrigerator for more than a brief period before it too is discharged.

Also, go through and make sure all water fittings and drain fittings are tight and won't leak while you are on the trip. Other than this, it is the normal maintenance such as using rubber seal conditioner/lubricant on the rubber seals around the slide-out, door, and windows and lubricating the slide-out track. One other thing to check is the hanger straps for the black and gray water drains. Make sure those are tight. You don't want one of them to come loose and drop on to the pavement. I had that happen with the black water drain.

Things can go wrong, but don't worry too much about it. Most likely, you will be fine. Just be observant of what is going on with your tow vehicle and RP179. On top of everything, have fun and enjoy your trip.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 2:57pm
Sounds like a great time! Congrats!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
K8i View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 7:31pm
That is all excellent advice! Thank you! I appreciate it!
Live2Camp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 11:01am
Sounds like a great adventure! I agree with advice given here and also carry a good canvas tarp. If you have to get on the ground for tires, looking underneath, whathaveyou when it's hot and/or gravelly or rocky, you'll be happy to have it. They're also good in the "two uses and a backup" department since they make great insulation over ice chests, shade cover over pet corrals (meaning, those little corrals that a lot of people have in their campsites), many uses. They're relatively heavy but so worth it. I also recommend making, using and updating checklists. Have fun! 
2017 R-Pod 179 HRE (the green one)
His:Ford F150 double cab 4WD; Hers/mine:Tacoma V6 double cab 4WD
Still love rugged, diggin' comfy too
ArenaBlanca View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 2:07pm
Must have tools -- small air compressor and a tire pressure gauge.  Always check the tire pressure before moving the Pod.  My wife and I spent 5 months in our 179 last year and managed to stay married.  Enjoy yourself and visit our national parks.
Enjoy Life!!
crankster78 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 9:13am
Greetings
I'm in my 4th season with my 179.  It's a very livable floorplan  I've installed dual lP tanks and a group 27 battery.  I removed the short queen and put in a twin innerspring,  Installed a shelf behind it.  Do a walk around any time you stop to check everything out, always check the tires.   I also travel by myself, but don't have dogs.  
Happy travels!

Crankster 78   2015 R 179  F-150 PU.    
Crankster 78 R-179 2015
Live2Camp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by crankster78

Do a walk around any time you stop to check everything out, always check the tires.   I also travel by myself, but don't have dogs.  Happy travels!

Crankster 78   2015 R 179  F-150 PU.    

+1 to walkarounds! I was "trained" to do this as a kiddo on all of our camping trips and even long day trips, with just our car and utility trailer. It's such an ingrained habit that I do a walk-around of my truck on most of my errands to town before returning home (we live in the coast mountains so this isn't as strange as it might sound Smile ) It can head off a lot of problems and just generally keeps us more in tune with our vehicles and trailers. I also like to take photos of how things look when they're new (including new to me), so it helps me figure out later on if something is broken or has a problem.  
2017 R-Pod 179 HRE (the green one)
His:Ford F150 double cab 4WD; Hers/mine:Tacoma V6 double cab 4WD
Still love rugged, diggin' comfy too
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 1:52pm
+2 for the walk arounds!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
K8i View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 3:00pm
Big smile

Thank all so far for the awesome advice as i sit here with pen and paper taking down my notes! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>