FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed172 vs 179

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 172 vs 179
    Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 8:43am

Hi all,

I have been looking for R-Pod for a few months. The best choice for my family (wife and 2 boys) I can find is 172. The kids really love the bunks.

In fact, I do not have too many choices due to the TV. I will be using 2007 Toyota Sienna with tow prep package (3500 lbs towing capacity) to haul the TT, and I will not change TV in next 5 or 6 years as I’m planning to give it to my oldest son when he goes to high school.

The closest dealer (2 miles away) do not have 172 in stock. The sales rep told me they could order it for me but the price he quoted was $2500 higher than another dealer (160 miles away).

I prefer to buy it locally as I understand the local dealer do not obligate to work on my TT since I don’t buy it from them. I don’t know if there is a room to negotiate but I will try it in the next few days.

The local dealer also have three 179 on sale. The weights on the labels are between 2921 – 2948 lbs. I assume the weights include dealer ordered options/dealer installed options. I think the minivan will handle 172 well with correct setup…..WDH w/ sway control, brake controller, etc. but I don’t know if it can handle 179 since it’s about 450 lbs heavier. There are 3 state parks near by so we just go to camp grounds for a couple of night during the weekend and I don’t need to load a lot of stuff. 

Any thoughts on this? 

Thank you. 

lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 9:03am
We have a 172 in which I took out the upper bunk and raised and, consequently, widened the lower bunk.  There are two of us, as a general rule, using the trailer.  and even with two it gets a little crowded.  Assuming your 2 boys are pretty active you might find the 172 a little cramped.  

As for your TV, the Sienna, with a 3500# towing capacity, you'll be grossly underpowered and will find it a little frustrating on the first long grade you come to, such as driving in the direction of CO.  As long as you drive where it's flat, you'll probably find the Sienna adequate but marginal.  

Maybe you should consider the cheaper 179 from your local dealer and buy a used pickup truck with the towing capacity to pull your Pod.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 10:21am
We have a 179 and really like it. We used to tow it with our Dodge Grand Caravan. Never had a problem up and down the east coast from Vermont to Florida. We upgraded to an F-150 in preparation for going out west and heading to Alaska. We really like the large kitchen but the overall consensus is that the couch really sucks as a bed. So unless you made some type of mod or the kids were going to sleep in cots out in the rdome, they might not be comfortable.  
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
NAP1947 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 11:04am
Welcome Cannot, we have a 179 and tow with an AWD, v6, Venza and are pleased so far.
Please carefully read your owners manual regarding towing, Toyota rates the Venza as 3500 pounds but unlike most others excludes the weight of 2 people, luggage for 2, towing package if equipped and a weight distribution hitch.  
To me this means closer to 4000 pounds.  Just for your info I weighed our 179 with full propane, 2-60 pound batteries, about 2/3 tank of water and our stuff at 3087 pounds.
It certainly handled both 2 lane and multi lane with steep hills very well and with the Andersen hitch we use I felt no sway from medium cross winds or transport truck/buses.
Good luck, let us know what you decide.

Susan and Norm
2016 Venza, V6 factory tow
2018 RP179
Cannot View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 11:55am
Originally posted by lostagain

Maybe you should consider the cheaper 179 from your local dealer and buy a used pickup truck with the towing capacity to pull your Pod.

Thank you for the reply.

Space might be an issue but we will spend most of time outside. Should be ok. 

I plan to buy a pickup truck once I give my van to my son. Don't really want to spend extra money on tow vehicle now. 

Originally posted by Leo B

We have a 179 and really like it. We used to tow it with our Dodge Grand Caravan. Never had a problem up and down the east coast from Vermont to Florida. We upgraded to an F-150 in preparation for going out west and heading to Alaska. We really like the large kitchen but the overall consensus is that the couch really sucks as a bed. So unless you made some type of mod or the kids were going to sleep in cots out in the rdome, they might not be comfortable.  

Thank you for sharing. 

The floorplan shows 75x45. It's probably not wide enough for kids. 
Cannot View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by NAP1947

It certainly handled both 2 lane and multi lane with steep hills very well and with the Andersen hitch we use I felt no sway from medium cross winds or transport truck/buses.
Good luck, let us know what you decide.

Thank you for sharing. 

The dealer actually recommends Andersen hitch. Would you mind telling me what model you have? 
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 3:10pm
From one Canadian to another. I hate to say it but you are full of it. The dry weight of the 179 is 2756#,2 batteries 120# 2/3 water 200# lp 48#. You have a total of 3124# and you haven't put a hairpin into the pod  
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 3:17pm
Cannot,

I think you are OK with the 179, especially considering you add on tow options and the fact you are camping locally. If you were to head West into Colorado, I'd say you were light with your current TV. If in doubt after you outfit find a weigh station and know your actually weight. Folks have a tendency to overpack and then after a few trips realize they didn't use the stuff. You don't need multiple batteries and full tanks of fresh water. You can adapt.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Cannot View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by marwayne

From one Canadian to another. I hate to say it but you are full of it. The dry weight of the 179 is 2756#,2 batteries 120# 2/3 water 200# lp 48#. You have a total of 3124# and you haven't put a hairpin into the pod  

That's why I prefer 172.....at least a few hundred pounds lighter. 

marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 3:55pm
We have a 2011-172, but there is only two of us, however we more or less sleep in the pod. In bad weather if were at the GC we play cards in the r-dome. The other thing we did not want was a slide, another mechanical thing that brakes down and a big hole that can leak. One other thing to check is the weight of the axle, ours came with a 3000# axle that we changed for a 3500#.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>