R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenerator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generator
    Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 8:18pm
If it works out, we will appreciate it for those times we dry camp overnight in Walmart parking lots or truck stops when the weather is hot. From what I have read, I should be able to leave the iX2000 in eco mode so it will both run quieter and be more economical.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
FrayAdjacent View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 3:09am
Originally posted by StephenH

I am hoping it will help in hotter weather and higher altitudes. The Generac iX2000 does start and run the AC but it really surges at compressor start-up. I am hoping this will smooth out the generator's running during compressor start-up since it will lower the initial required amperage. I doubt it would enable me to run the AC and microwave simultaneously though.

Yeah, 2200W... the newer Dometic 13,500BTU unit runs at 1670W. The microwave is probably 1200W. You won't be able to run both simultaneously. Just turn off the AC for a few minutes while you're nuking the foods, then turn the AC back on!  
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 8:43am
Originally posted by FrayAdjacent

Yeah, 2200W... the newer Dometic 13,500BTU unit runs at 1670W. The microwave is probably 1200W. You won't be able to run both simultaneously. Just turn off the AC for a few minutes while you're nuking the foods, then turn the AC back on!  

I forget sometimes and start the microwave while the air is on.  My generator, a Yamaha 2400, shuts down.  Not a big deal.  There are very seldom, if ever, times when it's more than the slightest inconvenience to swap out between the air and the microwave.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
voy108 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 1:29pm
I have the Predator 3500 running right now. I question whether I have the newer 13,500 a/c or not. Now, the Predator had 4 real light hours put on it so I wanted to make sure that it would do the a/c. It is running at over 1900 watts...to as high as 1984. That was after startup which I didn't see. When I turned the a/c on the Predator barely hick upped. I want to put about 5 hours on it with the a/c running and then change the oil again. I changed it at 1 hour.
Doug
2017 R-Pod 171-green
2004 Ford Explorer
Lucy, my Terrier Rescue
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 11:52am
I'm *very* interested in hearing your results, SH. The EasyStart might make running one of our two Honda 2000s sufficient most of the time, particularly when we're working at our storage site.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
SteveA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 7:23pm
I purchased 1 of these on Amazon. Once plugged in (very easy to do) I was able to run my 2017 1/2 179 A/C with a 2000i Honda without issue. SUPCO SPP6 Relay/Capacitor Hard Start Kit with 500% Increase Starting Torque
2017 179 1/2
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 9:10pm
Perhaps I got a defective one or I wired it in wrong, but when I tried a SUPCO SPP6 Hard Start Kit, it made the AC impossible to run on the Generac iX2000. It would start and run without it if nothing else were running, but with the kit, it immediately lit the "Overload" light on the generator. That one went back. I think the EasyStart will work much better. It arrived tosday but it may be a few days before I can install it due to a forecast of rain.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
SteveA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 9:41am
Stephen, when I received mine I went to Youtube to see if someone did a video install and they had. The bummer was the video was clearly wrong as it instructed you to plug the Cap into the wrong spot (there are 2) as I couldn't get it to work either. After a call to Supco and a simple switching of the wires it worked as described. :)
2017 179 1/2
onazip View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 12:44pm
We use a Yamaha 2000.  Runs the A/C, fridge and lights just fine.  Haven't used the microwave yet, but I'll certainly turn off the A/C when I do.  
2018 Tundra
2018 176t
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 1:22pm
First impressions of the EasyStart:

Installation:
Not difficult. The hardest part is re-using the strain relief if you don't purchase the installation kit. I didn't since I had a good assortment of connectors and proper guage wire. I did go out and purchase heavy-duty flag style connectors though as I did not have any of those on hand (I thought I did, but didn't). The extras will go into my box for future use on other projects. The diagram that came with the EasyStart covered the wiring of different style systems. However, I went online and found a setup tutorial specific to the Penguin II model that is used on most, if not all, recent R-Pod models. I had to bend some copper tubing slightly to make just a bit more room, but that was not hard at all.

While I had it apart, I saw that one of the machine bolts for the fan motor was sitting in the bottom of the pan. I remedied that, putting it back where it belongs.

After completing the installation, I began the recommended five starts on shore power. Since the instructions say that there is an internal timer to prevent it from restarting within 5 minutes, I ran it until I could measure air coming out at about 60 degrees F, then cut it off. I did this with the fan speed on High.

Once the initial training was done, I started the Generac iX2000 and turned on the AC. The Generac dis speed up, but it did not have the same surge that it did without the EasyStart. It is running now and does not appear to be straining. I have it in Eco mode, and it still started the AC with no problem.

Evaluation:  I think this will be a good move. The proof will be when it gets hot or when we are at higher elevations. Today is cooler than it has been so it isn't a hard test today. When it starts pushing 100F again, then it will be a better test. In the meantime, I think the EasyStart is going to prove itself to be a worthwhile addition to the Dometic AC. It is a shame that Dometic does not build them with EasyStart circuitry in the first place.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>