R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnyone towing with Touareg TDI

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone towing with Touareg TDI
    Posted: 29 May 2018 at 9:27am
Not concerned about power, but it is on the smaller size, so curious about the overall ride/sway, etc.

I use weight dist and sway on current TV. (05 Trailblazer).
2018 R-Pod 171
2014 VW Touareg TDI
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 1:02pm
With a short wheel base, you may have better control and ride with a WDH.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 10:53am
What's the Touareg weigh? If it's close to, or less than the weight of the fully-loaded R-pod, then you will really want sway control. If the R-pod is on the upper end of the Touareg tow capacity, then add WDH.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Hayduke View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 11:28am
Originally posted by GlueGuy

What's the Touareg weigh? If it's close to, or less than the weight of the fully-loaded R-pod, then you will really want sway control. If the R-pod is on the upper end of the Touareg tow capacity, then add WDH.

Curb weight on a TDI (I think the specs I found were for a 2016 model...) is 4900 lbs.  And the tow rating is 7700 lbs.

2012 177 HRE
2017 Tacoma Double Cab
clickscrazy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 11:41am
Yes. I my Trailblazer is 5,000lb with 5,000 tow capacity. I use WDH and Sway with it. Tows fine, just is old and lacks some power.

The wheelbase on the Touareg is actually 9" longer than the trailblazer. 

I bought the Touareg. Its just had to imagine something so smooth has power.
2018 R-Pod 171
2014 VW Touareg TDI
w.o.y. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 3:37pm
I am towing a 177 with my 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan . Have not checked actual weights of both but dealer said I am fine with the two load levelling bars plus the addition of a shorter sway bar on one side . Only time I have noticed a little sway was when I drove with full water tank. 250 pounds of water sloshing back and forth behind the wheels of the trailer caused it so I now drive with empty water tank and fill up at my destination and all is fine .
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 9:24am
Originally posted by clickscrazy

Not concerned about power, but it is on the smaller size, so curious about the overall ride/sway, etc.

I use weight dist and sway on current TV. (05 Trailblazer).

The Touareg is very underrated as a tow vehicle. It is EXCELLENT as a tow vehicle. It has a good weight distribution, firmer European tuned independent suspension, 8 speed AISIN tranny (Japanese!!), and the TDI torque is amazing for a SUV. It's a great daily driver (actual for me 22 mpg 80/20 City/hwy).

Definitely get a small WD Hitch, it will smooth out porpoising over uneven pavement when towing. It's not actually necessary but it does make for a nicer tow experience. The Anderson WD system works as will other brands (Equalizer, and also Blue OX come to mind, I really like my Blue Ox).

If you have a TDI, expect 12-15mpg depending on other factors (wind, speed, hills). I have the 2013 and it was perfect for towing the 177 R-Pod. Currently, I tow an ATC 7X20 that weights 5800-6400 loaded for outings, I only feel the extra weight as a factor on the highway long hills climbs, still maintains 65 mph using 5-6th up long pulls, if I want to pass much slower semis.

The downside of owning a Touareg, it's a Volkswagen, which means every part costs German prices $$$, once you're out of warranty (10yr/100K Powertrain, 3yr/50K bumper -bumper).  I have an extended warranty. I recently did my brakes at 74,000 miles because the wear sensor finally lit up. I paid just shy of $500 for 4 rotors, 2 pad sets, and 4 sensors. I used OE VW rotors and pads, but aftermarket sensors. It turns out the rotors were still nearly perfect. Very impressed with low rate of wear, rear pads and rotors could have gone another 50k+ miles, but I replaced them anyway. Held onto the 4 rotors, will reuse them after turning next time around.

I also had the water pump replaced 73K miles (leaking), and less than 3 days after that, had a bad oil leak from the front crankshaft seal. Both fixed under powertrain warranty, no money. Other than that, it's been good.

The Touareg is technically now an orphan, as they are no longer being imported into North America. It means that as the years roll on, it may become more difficult to find a good service department (technicians move too). Something to consider for the future.

2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 9:25am
Originally posted by clickscrazy

Yes. I my Trailblazer is 5,000lb with 5,000 tow capacity. I use WDH and Sway with it. Tows fine, just is old and lacks some power.

The wheelbase on the Touareg is actually 9" longer than the trailblazer. 

I bought the Touareg. Its just had to imagine something so smooth has power.

Just saw this post.. You'll really love it towing. 

7716 tow - 770 tongue limit. With or with WD hitch (my OE hitch has the correct rated sticker). 
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
clickscrazy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 5:05pm
Got the Touareg. Next trip is in a week. Did a test tow around my neighborhood, felt fine.

I modified my current WDW hitch (Husky), so the pin is closer to the ball. It is still out of VW's spec of max of 6.5 from pin to ball....which is crazy.

It has 59k on and is a CPO, so I have a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty. Only service that has not been done on it is the trans service at 60K (I have ordered the kit).

Interesting you had an oil leak and waterpump issue at only 73K! Geez, I will have to keep an eye out for that.
2018 R-Pod 171
2014 VW Touareg TDI
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 5:37pm
Wish that I could find one (a diesel) to use as a tow vehicle. My daily ride is a Jetta TDI wagon and I LOVE that car. Even with diesel-gate mods, I average close to 40 mpg and it eats hills for lunch. Smoothest riding vehicle, and most reliable, that I've ever owned. Has 102K (bought new in 2011) and still runs and rides like new. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>