R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedhard towing with Honda Pilot - HELP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: hard towing with Honda Pilot - HELP
    Posted: 28 May 2018 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by GlueGuy

Originally posted by furpod

Even my super duty recommends a higher octane when towing.  
I thought Super Duties were all (mostly) oil burners? Where do you get high octane diesel? Confused

Super Duty is a badge. Diesel or Gas either way. And there actually IS such a thing as premium diesel with higher CETANE ratings (usually over 50). Typical cetane for diesel is advertised on pumps a "40 minimum cetane rating". Around here (Connecticut) there is no premium diesel available. I've looked.

And a gas vehicle WILL tow better and maybe have a VERY small increase in fuel economy using premium fuel (91 and higher). Higher octane resists pre-detonation. Most gas engines make their maximum rated horsepower and torque ONLY using premium fuel. They will all run on lower octane fuels, just not the same power due to the ignition timing (spark) being moved to prevent pre-detonation. Modern cars are good like that now, largely unnoticeable driving characteristics using low octane fuel.

But the OP should not expect huge improvements in fuel economy. Make sure tire pressures are at max cold PSI all around , car and trailer. You might get 1mpg more from that alone.  Definitely pump premium 91+ Octane when towing. Go back to 87 when you're not towing.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Pod613 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 2:25pm
I've only done one trip with my Pilot and RP176 but I could literally watch the gas gauge move. :)

We had some head and cross winds with some gradual hills but all highway. In my estimation, it burned gas a twice the normal rate.

I drove no more than 100-105km/hr (62-65mph).

I watched my RPM and it averaged 2600. 

I plan on filling up with premium gas next time to see if it makes a difference.
2019 RP176
2016 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 3:16pm
I tow a 179 with a Ridgeline (basically pickup version of Pilot) and our mileage when towing drops from 20-24 avg w/o trailer to 11-13 avg with trailer.
flat6s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 1:12pm
Ben...are you using high octane when towing with your Ridgeline ?

Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by flat6s

Ben...are you using high octane when towing with your Ridgeline ?

I haven't to date - this post is the first that I've heard about it. We're going back out next week, will try it with the next tankful of gas.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 1:53pm
We generally use regular fuel in our F-150, and it routinely gets between 19 and 22 on the road. When we're towing the R-pod, we switch to premium. It still drops to 12-14 when towing. The R-pod is a pretty big wind dam. I would imagine it would really impact the aerodynamics of a Honda Pilot; the F-150 is already somewhat of a beast.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Markie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 7:24pm
My wife and I have towed a 2013 178 with a 2011 Pilot around the hills of central Pennsylvania for several years.  Our mileage as I recall was around 12-13 MPG. We have since purchased a 2015 Sliverado with a 5.3L V8 and get around 14MPG. I agree with the other members the fuel octane makes a difference but also where you purchase fuel. Fuel purchased at some of the convenience stores is low quality. Google " Top Tier gas" for explanation. 

Other things I noticed about pulling with the Pilot.  Although the Pilot towing capacity is rated at 4500 lbs the 3500lb loaded camper was a challenge for the V6 at times on hills around here. A Long hill would tax the engine and transmission. The V6 always did the job and we never had any problems mechanically but it always felt like we could use more power.

On the issue of the camper being level the incorrect hitch drop is a concern. Make sure you install the correct drop to level camper before starting out.  We installed a Fastway E2 WDH (weight distribution hitch). This helped with sway and ride quality. Many on the forum don't think a WDH is necessary but  with the Honda Pilot it handled better in cross wind and porpoising after a bump in the road.

One other thing to check for mileage is camper tire pressure. We would pressurize original factory tires to the max 50PSI but even at max pressure the tires always looked low. I have since refitted the camper with "D" load rated tires at 65PSI. There is less sidewall flex and it pulls allot better.

One last thing, I always engaged the trailer towing button on the gear shift as needed on hills. This would run the engine at higher RPM (2500-3500) for more torque and less shifting. I wish you well on your trip and If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
Markie
Mark & Vicki
R-POD 178 & 2015 Silverado 5.3L
Weimeraner "Zeke"
Thompsda View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 9:07am
Thanks for the response @Markie

CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 10:10am
I towed a 172 with a 2010 4WD Pilot for more than a year. On level ground at sea level the pilot is adequate but in the mountains it strains. I was able to negotiate the Rockies but sometimes in second or even first gear. The Pilot transmission is odd in that both fourth and fifth gears are overdrive with third gear being straight through. Honda compensates for this with a high rear end ratio. Best towing is in third gear which is D3 on the shifter. Gas mileage should be 10-12 MPG at 60 MPH. Definitely use premium gas. I found it made a 2 MPG difference when towing. You should also install a transmission temperature gauge such as the ScanGauge and watch it. Heat is an enemy for transmissions and transmission oil. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 10:20am
On our Frontier, I find that if I am in mountains or hills, turning overdrive (OD) off helps. I leave the transmission in Drive otherwise unless I am on a 6% or more downward slope. On this trip so far, mileage has varied between 10.6 and 14 (one exception of 17) mpg per tank. The low ones had lots of climbing and/or headwinds. The high ones were aided by a tail wind and/or more generally downhill. So far, we have been from near sea level to about 8,000 ft in elevation.
Also, I noticed that gas octane ratings out west were different.. Instead of regular being 87 octane, I have seen 86 and 85 octane. Since the Frontier specifies 87 octane, I have been using mid-grade which has been 89 or with the last one, 87 octane. Performance has been better. I should try premium when we fill up next to see if that also makes a difference.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>