R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBatteries?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Batteries?
    Posted: 23 May 2018 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Ditto! I run the dual 6V because I use a CPAP machine and we do boondock. I do not want to run out of power. If I could afford it, I would go with Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries which are smaller, lighter, and hold more power plus they charge faster. However, they have not yet reached a price point which I am willing to pay.

Keep checking http://www.aliexpress.com Best pricing I have found. Just by from the better suppliers! I find Littokala to be one of the good ones.
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 1:15pm
That is not the type battery to which I was referring. The NexGen ones or equivalent are.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by StephenH

That is not the type battery to which I was referring. The NexGen ones or equivalent are.

Search Ali for those then.. It's the site I was passing along.
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 12:55am
Thanks. I'll check back from time to time to see if they drop to a point where I would feel comfortable purchasing them. Until then, I'll keep plugging away with my dual 6V flooded cell batteries.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
SteveA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 9:41am
What battery set up you use may have a little to do with the age of your Pod. Newer Pods are all LED lighting inside and out which use very little battery power, this combined with the water pump and stereo are our major use the battery power in a '17 /2 179. We boondock much of the time, once stopped and setup the first thing I do is plug in a solar panel to keep the battery "topped off". With the fridge and water heater on propane (1  8gal propane tank upgrade), LED lighting, constant Sirius satellight radio playing and solar panel plugged in we have never had an issue with 1 large deep cycle rv battery.  If we wish to run the tv, ac, microwave or elect water heater (once the propane water heating element  failed) we start the Honda 2000i.  Using this system, this is a very self contained unit. 
2017 179 1/2
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by SteveA

What battery set up you use may have a little to do with the age of your Pod. Newer Pods are all LED lighting inside and out which use very little battery power, this combined with the water pump and stereo are our major use the battery power in a '17 /2 179. We boondock much of the time, once stopped and setup the first thing I do is plug in a solar panel to keep the battery "topped off". With the fridge and water heater on propane (1  8gal propane tank upgrade), LED lighting, constant Sirius satellight radio playing and solar panel plugged in we have never had an issue with 1 large deep cycle rv battery.  If we wish to run the tv, ac, microwave or elect water heater (once the propane water heating element  failed) we start the Honda 2000i.  Using this system, this is a very self contained unit. 

There you go! Smart usage! Knowing what you can and how is Oh so important! 

I'm running without a generator, also no AC or Microwave. TV is my Laptop. Music is internet or on a stick to my Oonz speaker. So far so good! Under 18amps (or 255 watts). Solar has kept up so far (130w panel). Fingers crossed it stays this way.. LOL
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Tom A View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 4:22pm
Thanks to all for your input and enlightenment.  As a newbe to trailer camping I am learning a lot here.

Now for a new thread on solar panels.

Tom
2018 Sequoia--2018 RP 190
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 4:39pm

I use two 12v RV/Marine batteries wired in parallel. These are backed up by a generator for recharging.

How long they last has a lot to do with the time of year, also. When temperatures fall, so does battery capacity. This is also when I use the furnace and it gobbles power.

Tom A View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 6:10pm
I was just advised not to leave my new 190 plugged into shore power because the stock inverters are not good enough and it will fry my battery.

Really?
2018 Sequoia--2018 RP 190
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by Tom A

I was just advised not to leave my new 190 plugged into shore power because the stock inverters are not good enough and it will fry my battery.

Really?

It wasn't just R*Pods or Forest River, but there were apparently a lot of bad converters in the overall RV market a year or two ago and people had a lot of trouble with them.  They quit working; I don't recall hearing about them frying batteries.  My converter (and it's a converter, not an inverter) is nearly 10 years old and I keep my pod plugged in all the time when I'm home.  Never had a problem.   RPod converters generally have a good reputation and the charger is supposed to be a really good 3-stage charger.

I'm curious where you heard that story....

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>