R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBatteries?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Batteries?
    Posted: 26 May 2018 at 9:18am
Again just me, but I don't leave Lily plugged in. I'm a believer in working the batteries.

I tend to go all week using the radio (and a few other items) to purposely draw down the batteries. Then I'll hook up the solar panel and charge them. Kinda the same system I used when I had the battery bank in the garage (and I was known to shut off my panels to insure a good draw). This system worked well for 18yrs. I've now switched to direct-tie (grid-tie) on the garage. Technology has improved so much, it just made sense. Plus no battery maintenance!!

I have a battery tender that I will probably use this winter. Really haven't fully decided yet how (or where) I'll deal with that. Still plenty of time to work that through.
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

I'll admit -- I'm in over my head.  A 4 stage converter sounds better than a 3 stage converter, especially to hear a 4-stage converter salesman talk about it, but I've been around this forum for a while and I don't recall anyone ever complaining that the stock WFCO converter fried their battery.  I don't think I'd run right out and buy a new converter based on one person's opinion.  I'd probably wait for either my battery or my converter to fail and, depending on why one of them died, maybe shop for a new converter then.

Again, I've left my converter plugged in for months on end with no problems whatsoever.

I think it was StephenH who posted this link for me a few days ago, about the WFCO: http://wfcoelectronics.com/wfcos-three-stage-converter-handles-every-charging-need-for-your-rv/

TT

Thank you for referencing the thread! 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 8:19am
We are jealous!!! We really like Frisco, Oregon Inlet and Cape Point!!!
We will be heading down the end of September and staying there for there for the month of October, can't wait!!! Really thinking if the weather is nice and the fishing is good, we hope to add a chunk of November tour stay as long as we get back before to much snow flies!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 8:12am
Originally posted by Leo B

We have the one 12v battery, going to be using our renogy 100w solar panel/set up to keep the battery charged, and hopefully not have to worry about battery capacity. We will charge it while camping and not have to carry a second battery. 
Just bought the solar stuff over the winter, playing with it now so we will be ready for the season.

Our Renogy suitcase is deployed right now in Frisco, NC.  Doing a great job, although at the first of the week not so much.  It was very overcast for a couple of days.

You bring up a good point, indirectly.  It doesn't matter too much what kind of battery you have or how many.  They are all going to drain down eventually if you don't have some way to recharge them.  Without the ability to recharge, you are always counting watts and living in the dark.  That's okay for some people but I have one 12v battery and I can boondock all week with no problem with the Renogy suitcase.  I also have a 2200w generator, which hasn't gotten much use this week.  It does let me crank up the air conditioner or cook some biscuits when I want to too though.

There's a guy a couple of sites down who must have 400 watts of solar on a lazy susan platform on top of his big diesel pusher.  Plus he has one of these:

Probably another 600w, when the wind's blowing, which it usually is here.

Anyway, 1 12v battery is fine for me.

TT

2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 6:39am
We have the one 12v battery, going to be using our renogy 100w solar panel/set up to keep the battery charged, and hopefully not have to worry about battery capacity. We will charge it while camping and not have to carry a second battery. 
Just bought the solar stuff over the winter, playing with it now so we will be ready for the season.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Ghosthawk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 4:25am
In my case I will probably stick with the 12v, in part because I already have a second deep cycle battery. It will be doing trolling motor service this summer. Come fall I think it will move into the back of the SUV as a "spare". Or it might get moved to the hitch in a second battery box. Having a second battery there without having to buy anything. That just seems like the belt and suspenders option.

I suspect we'll get tired of no internet, no tv before we run out of water or power.

Still I'm a long time believer in the 2 is one, one is none rule.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 9:02pm
I'll admit -- I'm in over my head.  A 4 stage converter sounds better than a 3 stage converter, especially to hear a 4-stage converter salesman talk about it, but I've been around this forum for a while and I don't recall anyone ever complaining that the stock WFCO converter fried their battery.  I don't think I'd run right out and buy a new converter based on one person's opinion.  I'd probably wait for either my battery or my converter to fail and, depending on why one of them died, maybe shop for a new converter then.

Again, I've left my converter plugged in for months on end with no problems whatsoever.

I think it was StephenH who posted this link for me a few days ago, about the WFCO: http://wfcoelectronics.com/wfcos-three-stage-converter-handles-every-charging-need-for-your-rv/

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Tom A View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

Originally posted by Tom A

I was just advised not to leave my new 190 plugged into shore power because the stock inverters are not good enough and it will fry my battery.

Really?

It wasn't just R*Pods or Forest River, but there were apparently a lot of bad converters in the overall RV market a year or two ago and people had a lot of trouble with them.  They quit working; I don't recall hearing about them frying batteries.  My converter (and it's a converter, not an inverter) is nearly 10 years old and I keep my pod plugged in all the time when I'm home.  Never had a problem.   RPod converters generally have a good reputation and the charger is supposed to be a really good 3-stage charger.

I'm curious where you heard that story....

TT

FOREST RIVER OWNERS GROUP:

BandJCarms Avatar

Meter.

Most OEM converters/chargers are not 'smart' converters, not four stage. Needs to be four stage to not fry batteries if left plugged in to shore power a long time. PD brand, Boondocker brand. Bestconverter.com is good source.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
2018 Sequoia--2018 RP 190

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by Tom A

I was just advised not to leave my new 190 plugged into shore power because the stock inverters are not good enough and it will fry my battery.

Really?

It wasn't just R*Pods or Forest River, but there were apparently a lot of bad converters in the overall RV market a year or two ago and people had a lot of trouble with them.  They quit working; I don't recall hearing about them frying batteries.  My converter (and it's a converter, not an inverter) is nearly 10 years old and I keep my pod plugged in all the time when I'm home.  Never had a problem.   RPod converters generally have a good reputation and the charger is supposed to be a really good 3-stage charger.

I'm curious where you heard that story....

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Tom A View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 6:10pm

Really?
2018 Sequoia--2018 RP 190
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>