R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBatteries?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Tom A View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Batteries?
    Posted: 29 May 2018 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by rumman

All I do is boondock for a period from 5 to 8 days and have never ran out of power. Running 160 watt solar panel on roof thru a solar charger with 2 6 Volt batteries. Have a 2014 RPod 179 and my largest draw would be the running of the furnace which is used quite often. Its the best money I have ever spent above and beyond the trailer. Would definitely be the first thing I do when I ever obtain a new RV. Quite easy to install yourself with lots of Youtube videos online. You can't go wrong.

And which solar panel are you using?
2018 Sequoia--2018 RP 190
rumman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 6:27pm
All I do is boondock for a period from 5 to 8 days and have never ran out of power. Running 160 watt solar panel on roof thru a solar charger with 2 6 Volt batteries. Have a 2014 RPod 179 and my largest draw would be the running of the furnace which is used quite often. Its the best money I have ever spent above and beyond the trailer. Would definitely be the first thing I do when I ever obtain a new RV. Quite easy to install yourself with lots of Youtube videos online. You can't go wrong.
2014 RPod 179 towed by 2016 Chev Colorado (V6).
Tomcheryl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 5:41pm
thank you for your post. i was debating on getting two 6v batteries but i also want to get our solar up and running. We are the newest of new when it comes to ALL of this. Any tips tricks or hints on type of solar system and how to set it up would be appreciated.   Thanks 
Cheryl
Life is short,it’s time to roll
amnman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 10:23pm
Today, I just converted my Lead acid battery system on my R-pod 171 to lithium battery. 

Components:
1 Battleborn Lithium battery 12v 100aH $949 (w/ free shipping)
1 Progressive Dynamics Converter modification for my WFCO power system $235 (includes shipping)
2 ANL fuse holders $14 ($11 for a 10-pack of 100A fuses)
2 24" 5AWG cables with ring terminals (5/16") already installed $11
1 Group 31 battery box.

Took me 1/2 a day to install. Longest period was installing the converter mod. You replace the DC board and swap the wiring/fuses to the new DC board as well as the battery cables. Then remove the converter power circuit board and replace it with the new one. 

The fuse/fuse holders and cables are attached to the battery. The cable from the RV are attacked to the fuse blocks for additional safety. 100ah Lithium battery can send 200 amps for 30 seconds, enough time to start a fire with a short, so the fuses will give at 100 amps.

So I guess you are wondering why I did this? Well for something simple as "creature comforts" My ice machine and 1Kw pure-wave inverter could kill a 100aH lead acid battery w/ solar charging in less than 3 hours (voltage alarm goes off) before filling the basket.  

I setup the lithium battery (charged) with the same inverter and ice maker, I can fill the basket TWICE and still have power left over. Took my 200w solar charger and reprogrammed it for Lithium. The charger is a Victron MPPT 75/15 using battery clamps for a battery connection. After peaking the solar panels every 1/2 hour, the solar system recharged that battery in 6 hours.

So I bought all the other components needed to install this in my R-pod and the rest is history.

Be responsible with technology, or technology will make you irresponsible. ~ Me
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 11:53am
Just as an added piece of information. In my pre-retired life, we ran a rural internet company providing internet services to rural areas where such things as cable or DSL were impractical (too much wire, not enough customers). We had a dozen remote sites that were mostly solar powered, and some that had AC close enough to use smart chargers. The sites on smart chargers spent almost all their time on so-called "float mode". The amount of time amounted to years (6 or more). A battery can live in float mode almost all of its life.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 5:47pm
I agree with Kieth-N-Dar.  Sometimes simplicity and repurposing junk you already have makes the most sense.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 5:34pm
It seems everyone has their favorite gizmo when it comes to camping.  I cringe when a new owner signs on and the line forms of people who tell what the newbie "has to have" to camp.  I think if anyone bought it all the items their cost would equal the cost of the trailer, and a second pickup would be needed to haul it all.  I have been here for a while and never recall anyone with a fried battery from the stock converter.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 3:53pm
Thanks GlueGuy. Spot on. Everything on the interweb needs a bit of clarification. I am a 24/7 hooked up guy and my batteries are fine. Been so for years. I manage same for cars in my shop. Never had an issue with my 3 stage converter in the Pod. Sure somebody will come up with 5 stage converter, then we'll all need that. Common sense is an uncommon virtue.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 3:48pm
Thanks GlueGuy. Spot on. Everything on the interweb needs a bit of clarification. I am a 24/7 hooked up guy and my batteries are fine. Been so for years. I manage same for cars in my shop. Never had an issue with my 3 stage converter in the Pod. Sure somebody will come up with 5 stage converter, then we'll all need that. Common sense is an uncommon issue.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 1:19pm
The big difference is between 2-stage and 3-stage chargers. A 2-stage cannot distinguish between load and battery. To be 3-stage, there needs to be a separate circuit for load and battery. The 4th stage, and the need for it depends mostly on the frequency/duration of charge/discharge cycles.

Many/most so-called 4-stage chargers allow an equalize cycle to be commanded manually. Some allow you to schedule the equalize on a monthly (or whatever) basis. Otherwise the 4th stage almost never gets run. So in essence, a separate load/battery circuit defines both 3 and 4 stage chargers.

After the bulk/absorb cycles are done, a decent charger should be in float most of the time. Solar controllers also have an "idle" stage where the power input (the sun) is not available. Interestingly, this is not (normally) considered another "stage".
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>