R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBrakes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brakes
    Posted: 22 May 2018 at 5:37pm
Brake question.  I took our 179 in for a bearing repack.  They called me and told me that the brakes were caput and needed to be replaced.  I was somewhat taken aback by this as the trailer isn't all that old.  We bought it in 2016 and took delivery of it  in July of that year. The did a session with us on how to set the brakes - which we followed.

Because we only used the Pod locally for about 2.5 months that year, last summer I didn't take it in for the bearings.  It hadn't been anywhere really.  Last year was our first major trip and everything was working well.  Set the brakes the way we had been taught....nice tug from the trailer, no sudden jerking, no skidding - everything  seemed to be working well

So when I got the call I went into the dealer and they showed me the shoes and the drums.  One side of the shoes were worn right down on each side and ergo----the drums were shot as well.  Nobody turns drums anymore so the whole system needed to be replaced.

Is this normal for trailer brakes?  We reviewed brake set up with the Service Staff and according to them I was doing it right...am I going to be looking at another complete brake job next year?
Bob&Margaret
2017 179
2016 Toyota 4Runner
2 sets of Golf Clubs
 Post Reply Post Reply