R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWater

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water
    Posted: 22 May 2018 at 10:17am
Good Morning....This is probably ridiculous, but are any members draining the hot water tank daily, while traveling. That is about 50lbs of extra weight.
Leonard🌵
2017/179
2017 Ram 1500
PodWa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 2:05pm
I don't drain my hot water tank when traveling.  I like to keep that tank full from the time I dewinterize in the spring until I winterize in the fall.  I feel that the possibility that I will forget to turn off the electric water heating element, drain the tank, and then plug into shore power at the next stop and burn out the heating element outweighs any savings that carrying the extra water will accrue.  The six gallons of water in the hot water tank is included in the trailer's specified water capacity of 36 gallons -- 30 gallons in the tank and 6 gallons in the water heater.

Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 3:15pm
I've never heard of anyone draining the hot water heater while traveling.  The larger debate is how much fresh water to carry in the main fresh water tank.  The consensus seems to be anywhere from 5 to 30 gallons.  I sure don't know how to do the math but that extra rolling weight doesn't have nearly the impact on MPGs as you might think. And if you're that close to your weight limit you are cutting it too close.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure the water heater holds 6 gallons.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 3:20pm
Owned Airstream, R-Pod, and Lance.. in 10 years of pretty active TTing and being on forums, I never heard of a single owner doing this..  My biggest worry would be arriving at a park and plugging the Pod in, and with no water in the WH, it being left on, or turned on, before the WH got refilled. Stuff happens, we get distracted.. boom.. out $15 for no reason whatsoever. Embarrassed

mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 3:29pm
+1 to Furpod - during season I never drain hot water tank. I carry some water in FW tank but never full. Enough to use latrine on road. I take extra caution to ensure HW tank has water before I turn on HW heater. Lot of years of RVing, I drain HW tank at end of year, refill prior to first trip.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

I've never heard of anyone draining the hot water heater while traveling.  The larger debate is how much fresh water to carry in the main fresh water tank.  The consensus seems to be anywhere from 5 to 30 gallons.  I sure don't know how to do the math but that extra rolling weight doesn't have nearly the impact on MPGs as you might think. And if you're that close to your weight limit you are cutting it too close.
We carry the water gated mostly by the destination. If we know water  is going to be in short supply (e.g. boondocking) we will take water. If we're going somewhere with full hookups, we take none. YMMV.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

The larger debate is how much fresh water to carry in the main fresh water tank.  The consensus seems to be anywhere from 5 to 30 gallons.

A lot depends on the R-Pod model. If you have one of the ones with the fresh water tank at the rear, keep it as empty as possible to avoid sway issues. Fortunately, the 179's has the fresh water in the front-most tank.

I, too, leave water in the water heater until the next sanitization.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
flat6s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 6:09pm
I drain my hot water tank after each trip.  Gets me a good look at the anode. Also gives me a chance to clean out all of the debris in the bottom of the Hot water tank.
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 6:26pm
Well, flat6s, you're the one. That anode rod will change by season, not trips, however you be using some really bad water. What ever floats you're boat, it's your Pod.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 7:08pm
I agree regarding the anode.  Looking at it once a year is plenty.  I can't remember the last time I checked the anode rod on my water heater at the house. The water heater will function fine without an anode rod -- though it will probably last longer with one.  Point being, if you check the anode once a year and it's gone when you check, you aren't too late to replace it.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>