R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWater

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water
    Posted: 24 May 2018 at 10:04am
Well mcarter , I am not sure what you meant by " I'm the one"... but okay.
I do not drain the hot water heater after each trip to inspect the anode.  I have been pulling travel trailers for 20 years, so I am aware how long an anode will last.  I drain the hot water heater after each trip because there is 6 gallons of water sitting in the hw tank for maybe a month between trips.  Its probably well water from my well, or from a campsite well, so it has no chlorine it.  So untreated water sitting in the hot sun with no chemicals for thirty days is a breeding ground for bacteria, which I have had three times in twenty years.  I continue to be in the water works, water treatment business even after 47 years of service.  I know contaminated water, I know bacteria and I know what it can do to people and animals. I have covered this subject several times on this forum about drinking water from the fresh water tank.  Some agree and some disagree and that is the way it should be.  I am only stating what I do, because like you say, it is my R pod and  I can do what I like with it.  I drain the hw tank because I do not want to risk contaminated water.  It takes a few minutes to pull the anode out and let it drain.  While the anode is out, I take a look at it.  Have you ever looked on the floor of your hot water tank ?  Where do you think the anode granules end up ?  How much of that does it take to plug up your faucets ?  I am not using bad water as you state.  It is normal for well water to have a little sand it once in awhile along with the anode debris.  I use a shop vac to clean up the floor of the hot water heater.  Perhaps you should take a look at yours .  I consider this routine maintenance on my trailer and preventive maintenance for the health of everyone on board the trailer. By the way, if you re not concerned about bacteria, then why in the world do you sanitize your water system once a year ?  Which is almost worthless by the way, because that is only good for your first load of water.  The second load of water you put in gets no effect from your chemical sanitizing.  But like you said, It's your R pod and you can do whatever you want.
Thanks for letting me clarify my statement.  I love the forum.  Best of Luck and Happy Trail to all
Joe
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 11:05am
Joe,
You look to be the one to ask this question. What about the water filters such as the Camco TastePURE KDF/Carbon Filter that go inline? I use one of those when I fill my tank and also when I am connected to city water. Do these filters stay sanitary between uses or do they become breeding grounds also?
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 11:10am
Bugs in the water, that's why we don't drink tank water (also tastes like the tank).  Our practice is to treat tank water like we treat tap water when we travel to México.  It's ok for washing, but for all other consumption purposes bottled water is safer.  In fact, my wife always insists on doing a final rinse of dishes and such with bottled water just to be safer.  As she always reminds me:  "Mejor cuidar que llamar la policia."

... and to StephenH, carbon filters are great at getting out nasty chemicals and some metals, but they generally don't filter bacteria.  Most filters do not have the filtering capacity to block bacteria, except the reverse osmosis type.  But bacteria are persistent little buggers who can grow on the wrong side of the reverse osmosis filter, too.  And if the tank has bad bacteria in it, you can filter 'til the cows come home and it won't stop the bacteria from growing in your tank.  It's just a 30 gal. pond of stagnant water maintained at the perfect bacteria growing temperature.  The only thing it's a little short on is stuff for the bacteria to eat.  

We all need a certain level of contact with bad bacteria to keep our immune systems strong, but too much, especially if you have a compromised immune system, will make you sick or worse.  Contaminated water has been the bane of all humanity for millennia.  It's the perfect vector for disease.  What you can't see can hurt you.

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 12:08pm

First, allow me to say that I do not, nor have I ever, consumed water from my fresh tank. I buy "bottled" water at Walmart for about $.89 per gallon.

I had an experience a few years back that may be of interest. After decades of camping, this was a "first".

http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2098&KW=bulge&PID=19828&title=ive-been-slimed#19828

Since that happened, I add 4-6 ounces of bleach to my fresh water tank. There is always a small amount of bleach in my "fresh" water. Though not scientific, my nose tells me when it is time to add more - when a faint bleach odor is not longer detected in the water.

An unintended benefit - when I shower, I'm not only clean.....I'm SANITIZED!   

flat6s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 12:14pm
StephenH... yes...the filter is a breeding ground, when it is not in use. If you are putting it away wet and then re -using it later, you are setting yourself up for bacterial growth, rapidly.  Now, if you drain the water out  then put it in front of a fan to dry it, you are getting closer to being ok.  However, the plastic fresh water tank is not a food grade tank. Plus, lostagain has nailed it that it is a 30 gallon pond of stagnant water.  That is where my recommendation remains...do not drink the water from the fresh water tank.  If you must use water from the tank, then skip the filter and chlorinate every time you fill up using HTH tablets or liquid.  Do NOT use bleach.  It is not the same as chlorine, regardless of what the some
 of the posters on this forum state.  Lostagain has completely nailed it on his post above.  Now, as far as your filter goes, I consider those a one time use filter.  As long as it is on line and has fresh water passing through you are ok.  Just remember, it is not filtering bacteria.  You cannot filter out bacteria. You must treat bacteria. If it sits in the cargo bay of your rpod still wet from the last use, for any time at all, you are making your drinking water unsafe.  The remedy...DO NOT DRINK WATER FROM YOUR FRESH WATER TANK.
Again...everyone has their own opinion.  This is mine.  If yours is different, then that is good.  Discussion makes the world go round.   Thanks to everyone
Joe
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by flat6s

StephenH... yes...the filter is a breeding ground, when it is not in use. If you are putting it away wet and then re -using it later, you are setting yourself up for bacterial growth, rapidly.  Now, if you drain the water out  then put it in front of a fan to dry it, you are getting closer to being ok.  However, the plastic fresh water tank is not a food grade tank. Plus, lostagain has nailed it that it is a 30 gallon pond of stagnant water.  That is where my recommendation remains...do not drink the water from the fresh water tank.  If you must use water from the tank, then skip the filter and chlorinate every time you fill up using HTH tablets or liquid.  Do NOT use bleach.  It is not the same as chlorine, regardless of what the some
 of the posters on this forum state.  Lostagain has completely nailed it on his post above.  Now, as far as your filter goes, I consider those a one time use filter.  As long as it is on line and has fresh water passing through you are ok.  Just remember, it is not filtering bacteria.  You cannot filter out bacteria. You must treat bacteria. If it sits in the cargo bay of your rpod still wet from the last use, for any time at all, you are making your drinking water unsafe.  The remedy...DO NOT DRINK WATER FROM YOUR FRESH WATER TANK.
Again...everyone has their own opinion.  This is mine.  If yours is different, then that is good.  Discussion makes the world go round.   Thanks to everyone
Joe

Could you give me a little more info on "HTH"?

flat6s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 12:28pm
HTH is a chlorine that is used to sanitize water.  It is used in swimming pools, we use it to sterilize new water main that has just been installed, we use it to sterilize our tapping equipment that taps water main.  We use it in tanker trucks that provide fresh water during a disaster, such as a tornado.  One time we had an employee dump bleach into a tanker of water.  That cannot be consumed.  We had to dispose of that and rinse the tank.  HTH tables or liquid can be purchased at Walmart or just about anywhere that sell small kiddie pools.  HTH tabets are the easy to use.  Probably 2 to three tablets will treat the 30 gallon of water in you fresh water tank and make it safe to drink.  Without the bleach smell.  Taking a shower in bleach water is not good.  Drinking bleach water is worse.  Again...the easy solution is to drink bottled water, IMHO.
I thank you for allowing me to express my opinion.....Happy Trails
Joe
flat6s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 12:31pm
the HTH is located in stores where the swimming pool supplies are
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by flat6s

HTH is a chlorine that is used to sanitize water.  It is used in swimming pools, we use it to sterilize new water main that has just been installed, we use it to sterilize our tapping equipment that taps water main.  We use it in tanker trucks that provide fresh water during a disaster, such as a tornado.  One time we had an employee dump bleach into a tanker of water.  That cannot be consumed.  We had to dispose of that and rinse the tank.  HTH tables or liquid can be purchased at Walmart or just about anywhere that sell small kiddie pools.  HTH tabets are the easy to use.  Probably 2 to three tablets will treat the 30 gallon of water in you fresh water tank and make it safe to drink.  Without the bleach smell.  Taking a shower in bleach water is not good.  Drinking bleach water is worse.  Again...the easy solution is to drink bottled water, IMHO.
I thank you for allowing me to express my opinion.....Happy Trails
Joe

Thanks for the info! I'll take a look at Walmart and see if they have some HTH. I seem to recall hearing something negative about bleach a while back. I already knew not to consume it. Bleach water really dries my skin after a few days of use!

Again, thanks for sharing your knowledge & experience.

xfitpanther View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 12:50pm
What is different about HTH vs Chlorine Bleach?  
David
2017 r-Pod 180
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>