R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWater

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water
    Posted: 22 May 2018 at 7:39pm
+1 with Tars  
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 7:52pm
We are still using the same anode rod that came on our 177 when we picked it up March 2011, so it is now over 7 years old, almost looks like new.  Maybe because it has never seen municipal water with all the added chemicals, Our 177 has the FW tank in the rear, nevertheless we always leave with it full of delicious well waterl unless we are only going for a couple days, then 1/2 full is more than enough.  Thanks to furpod we got on a semi - regular track for sanitizing our FW tank.  Did it the first year we owned it and then went over 4 years before we did it again,  Now we  try to sanitize 1x/year just to be safe.

Once we put water in our HW and FW tank which is usually late April or early May, it remains in the tank until we winterize in November.

God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
lgblau View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 12:10am
Everyone, evidentially, missed the whole idea that I was relating to. It had nothing to do with the operation, and or maintanance of the water heater. I simply asked if anyone drained their tank to save on the weight. Sorry if I somehow confused my post. 😎
Leonard🌵
2017/179
2017 Ram 1500
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 1:20am
Wind resistance is a much bigger factor than the approximately 50 lbs of water in the water heater. I agree that leaving it full is best. Quantity of water in the fresh water tank is a different question as to the amount to carry. We travel with a full FW tank since we do tend to stay at places without hookups while we are enroute to a destination.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 7:24am
Igblau,

Nope I don't drain water heater. Actually that 6 gals of water could come in handy. You can use the water pump and take water from hot side for emergency purposes. Won't be hot, but who cares.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 7:52am
Originally posted by lgblau

Everyone, evidentially, missed the whole idea that I was relating to. It had nothing to do with the operation, and or maintanance of the water heater. I simply asked if anyone drained their tank to save on the weight. Sorry if I somehow confused my post. 😎

We did go off on some tangents, but I think we mostly got your point and the answer is no, no one worries about that extra 50 pounds.  It makes no discernible difference to your MPGs and if you are calculating your weight with regards to your towing limits that carefully, you should probably be looking for a larger TV. 

I was listening to Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers, once when a listener asked whether driving with your headlights on (during the day) caused one's gas mileage to go down. His brother insisted it would.  Of course the Magliozzis laughed and said no, but then they got into one of their "yeah, but" discussions.  They allowed as how there is no such thing as a free lunch and yes, the extra electrical load on the alternator would cause the engine to use slightly more power (= gasoline).  Short of some big fancy MIT white board calculations though, they guessed that 2 identical cars driving across country, one with lights on and the other off, assuming identical driving conditions, etc., the car without lights might use a dollar less in gas.  

50 pounds of water would probably cost more than leaving your lights on, but still, it would take a pretty sharp pencil to calculate how much more.  If your time is worth anything, you probably aren't going to come out ahead draining the water heater.  And you could end up spending more on Teflon tape than you'll save on gas.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 8:48am
I'll add a little more to that. We have (had actually, sold it last year) a utility trailer that when full weighs as much or more than our R-pod. However, it is very low profile. The mileage we get pulling that utility trailer is at least 30% better than what we get pulling our R-pod. So the weight matters, but not nearly as much as the wind resistance. I think about 50 lbs of water in the water heater and think... meh.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 11:12am
I check the anode rod necessarily every time I sanitize, which is about once a year. I might do twice a year depending on how long the Pod has been sitting idle.

I figure it'll last this season and then need to be replaced. When I sanitized this spring, half of it was down to the central steel rod but the other half still had considerable magnesium remaining.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
lgblau View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 4:40pm
Thank you very much for your replies. You are really , a bunch of  great Podders.
Leonard🌵
2017/179
2017 Ram 1500
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 8:12pm
I will join the chorus and keep is short and simple.  No, I do not drain for the reasons the above posters gave.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>