R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwater leak behind toilet 180

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: water leak behind toilet 180
    Posted: 21 May 2018 at 1:20am
Hello all,

We hooked up city water; with pressure regulator and filter in place, had water coming out on to the floor from behind the toilet.  At first, I thought the water was coming in from behind the wall, but I think it was from the plumbing joint right behind the toilet that leads out into the outside storage.    Anyways, there is a joint with some metal crimps, does anyone have some information on how to fix this little joint?  I thought this was all pex but this looks like regular pvc.  

Its a 2017 Rpod 180 model. 
David
2017 r-Pod 180
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 7:48am
The 99.9% answer is the flush valve on the rear of the toilet is broken. If that doesn't get winterized really well, it will break. It's an easy enough fix, about $20 for the valve.

EDIT: I have also seen them break because it was Tuesday.. but mostly, because of the shape of the valve, water can settle back in the bottom of the valve body during winterization..
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 7:50am
I had a similar issue in my 179; thought it was a joint but turned out to be a hairline crack in the flush valve. Bought a replacement at local rv dealer, pulled toilet and replaced. Not hard to do. 

I used a mirror to see behind the toilet and isolate where the leak was. Its always possible that one of the joints is leaking.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 7:53am

+3.     It happens to the best of us.   

As mentioned, it's a fairly easy, inexpensive fix. Personally, I found it easier to just go ahead and pull the toilet.

Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 8:51am
Happened to me too. I can't imagine fixing it withouf taking out the toilet. Simple, but not what I'd call quick and easy. Parts on Amazon or any RV store.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 10:12am

I had to do mine about 3-4 years ago. I was a little too stingy with the pink stuff and we had some especially cold winter days that year.

If memory serves, it took about 30-40 mins. - not in a hurry. I think I paid $25 for the valve.

Also working from memory, I think the valve holds an amount of water. The pink stuff doesn't work very good when diluted. I learned to run a LOT of pink stuff through the valve.

xfitpanther View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 10:56am
The manual isn't handy, is it the same part of all the rpods?  I'm finding this Thetford 31705 Aqua-Magic V.   I haven't checked to see if this is even the problem, but can't hurt to have one.  It appears they fail often.  
David
2017 r-Pod 180
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 11:11am
Originally posted by xfitpanther

The manual isn't handy, is it the same part of all the rpods?  I'm finding this Thetford 31705 Aqua-Magic V.   I haven't checked to see if this is even the problem, but can't hurt to have one.  It appears they fail often.  

That's the one - mine failed for the same reason, appears like it wasn't properly winterized (just bought the trailer this spring). 
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by xfitpanther

I don't think these things fail very often, for what it's worth.  They do seem to be the weak link in the winterizing process.  If somthing's going to freeze and break it seems like this will be it. 

Some people use just air when winterizing, and some people use the pink stuff.  Some do both.  Whatever, make sure plenty of air or pink stuff is coming out of (into) the toilet when you winterize.  You'll never have a problem this way.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 6:19pm
Important for those folks that store their Pod without power or heat. AND freezing temps. I have winterized with both pink stuff and air, and only one freeze issue, that was the check valve I installed when moving my tank backflush to drivers side. Pod has power applied and ceramic heater at 50 degrees so no issues in Pod. That valve in toilet seems to be weak point. I make sure when I use air to blow out the toilet flush valve.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>