Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedjato look here

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: jato look here
    Posted: 19 May 2018 at 3:01pm
Never read your post about your trip to RMNP, that is our favorite national park of any we have been to!  Due to my job  I have never been able to be there except in spring or fall.  Realizing this was a long time ago when you went, but was it filled to capacity (campground wise) then, like it is sping and fall now?  BTW, nice pics!
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by jato

Never read your post about your trip to RMNP, that is our favorite national park of any we have been to!  Due to my job  I have never been able to be there except in spring or fall.  Realizing this was a long time ago when you went, but was it filled to capacity (campground wise) then, like it is sping and fall now?  BTW, nice pics!

I moved your post.

Yes, Aspenglen was full every night. They were turning several away daily. I suspect it has only gotten worse.

I was in site B19, if memory serves. It was the only site available for the dates I needed. IMHO, the B loop is best but, no generators allowed.

RMNP is absolutely way cool! I keep telling myself that I need to get back there. My only disappointment was not seeing any Big Horn sheep.

I had just purchased my Pod about 2-3 weeks prior. I had been pulling a 990lbs. Coleman Taos popup with ease with the GMC. However, I decided that I really, really, really wanted an Rpod.

jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 4:31pm
Thanks for moving me, didn't think about what I had just done, change the OP original post and went down a different rabbit trail. In other words, hijacking the intent of the topic. 

Anyway, the road you showed, Trail Ridge Road, cresting at 12, 183 feet has afforded us the blessing of seeing quite a number of Big Horn sheep, but that was in mid September both times we saw them.  Also the Old Fall River Road is probably nearly as spectacular even though it is a one-way gravel road with a speed limit of 15 and numerous switchbacks we often have seen wildlife along this road as well.  I believe we were one of the last to travel this road before it was closed in September of 2013 due to the massive flooding that took place that year.  The day we took it (one day before we were asked to leave due to flooding) the road was getting pretty dicey in spots!

David, you gotta go back, hearing and watching the Elk in September is an unforgettable experience as seeing, as you have, all the other wildlife and natural beauty of the park.  Thanks for posting!
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by jato

David, you gotta go back, hearing and watching the Elk in September is an unforgettable experience as seeing, as you have, all the other wildlife and natural beauty of the park.  Thanks for posting!

+1  When the elk are in the rut it is like being in the middle of a wildlife video.  We have been there twice during the rut, once when it snowed.  the snow kicked it into high gear.  Spectacular!

We have seen sheep nearly every time  in the park.  The first time was on the road a few miles from the park, other times on sheep meadows.  I feel grateful this great park is there each time I visit.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 5:56pm

Uh-oh.....I just looked. There is a spot I like available in August.

john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 3:59pm
My grandmother took Fall River road to the top on her wedding trip in 1916 in a 1915 Buick.  I don't know what happened to the photos but I recall seeing them.
 Post Reply Post Reply