R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAC Issues - Generator Overloaded?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC Issues - Generator Overloaded?
    Posted: 19 May 2018 at 8:31am
We just returned from a 2500 mile trip through AZ, NM, CO, across UT and though across central NV.  While at Lee's Ferry we tried to run our AC unit with a 3500W Champion generator, as it was like a sauna inside our Pod.  No deal.  At first the generator seemed to work fine, but when the AC cycled off then back to on, it bogged down the generator and would not run.  

Later on the trip, we stayed in an RV park [described in another post], and I ran the AC on "shore-power" and it worked just fine, cycling on and off several times until I turned it off.  I suspect the issue is with the generator  I haven't any idea why a 3500W/4000W peak generator would not support the AC unit.  Nothing else was turned on and the batteries were well charged.  

I'm going to sell the Champion since it's far too noisy and doesn't seem to be compatible with the AC, but thought it would be a good idea to figure out why it wouldn't work before shelling out a ton of money for another generator.  I'm considering Harbor Freight's Predator 3500W inverter/generator that's been discussed in other posts, but don't want to buy it unless it's got the needed capacity to support the AC.

Any ideas?
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 2:38pm
"3500w Champion Generator".. is this an inverter genny, or a standard genny?

Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 3:07pm
I have a Champion 3500W gen set made for RV use with a 30 amp output the Pod connects to directly   Everything runs well on the genny just like on shore power.   Mine is not "far to noisy."  Conversation is easily possible next to the generator while running, and when I tested it the first time I could hardly hear it when on the far side of my garage.  Much quieter than a lawn mower, and quieter than many other generators I hear in campgrounds.

I think there is a problem with your generator if it is loud and underpowered.  I don't think it is a general fault with the product.  Good luck.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 6:21pm
Furpod, it's a standard generator.  I think that may be part of the problem ... or I failed to sacrifice a chicken.  Embarrassed

I found a Champion 2800W inverter generator on Costco on-line that seems to be made for RV use in mind and runs on gasoline or propane.  I may give it a try, especially in light of the Costco return policy.  If it doesn't work, I can always take it back.  It supposedly it runs at 58 dBA, which is comparable to the others of similar power, including the Predator.  The price is $850 including shipping.  

My biggest concern is whether it is powerful enough for the rPod rooftop AC.  I checked my manual and it gives the power needs of practically every AC unit Dometic makes, so I have to sort out what the model number is to check the power requirements.  Unfortunately, Dometic doesn't put the model number in an obvious place.

Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 9:22pm
We ran our 13.5 on a Honda 2000.. but most won't. The Yamaha 2400isch runs every one that anyone has ever hooked it up to.. so a 2800 should do fine.
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 10:06pm
Thanks for the info Furpod.  Much appreciated.  
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 11:40pm
Having seen and heard the Harbor Freight Predator 3500, I have been wanting to buy one. I was really impressed with it. It was running a food truck at a local event. The owner had several and two were running. The loudest thing was a piece of loose trim on his trailer (he had an accident) that was rattling.It was easily possible to carry on a conversation in a normal tone of voice standing beside the two of them that were running. He said they have been reliable. He does change the oil regularly and uses synthetic. Perhaps that is part of why they are holding up so well.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 10:16am
Right now the Predator is on sale at Harbor Freight for $700.  It's tempting.  

Assuming comparable quality, since both the Predator and Champion are made in China, there are advantages to each.  The Predator has a higher output while the Champion will run both on LP and gasoline.  It looks like both would serve the purpose well.  
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 11:09am
Originally posted by lostagain

... both the Predator and Champion are made in China

Because of Chinese aggression in the South China Sea which may involve us in a war with them, we may want to consider NOT buying 'Made in China'. Just a thought and enuf said.
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 12:27pm
Now I found the Champion from Supergen <https://www.supergenproducts.com/catalog/cat-100002/inverter-generators> for the same price as the Predator, though the Supergen unit is a "refurbished" model.  

Hmmmm???
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>