R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAC Issues - Generator Overloaded?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC Issues - Generator Overloaded?
    Posted: 21 May 2018 at 4:56pm
I can run AC on a 2K genset, I can't run it ICW the Converter Charge circuit or the microwave. So I don't run the converter or the microwave. The reefer made no difference. Not a fan of hard start caps unless needed.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Watts View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 3:50pm
I purchased the Champion 3400 dual fuel last week.  I haven't tried the AC and microwave, but everything else is working.  The noise level up close seems load (not on economy), but I suppose they all do.  I got mine from Amazon.  
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 5:06pm
Just ordered one from Costco.  .... the 3100W dual fuel.  A little less costly and their return policy is easier in case it doesn't run the AC.  My plan is to mostly run it on propane, though a little less powerful at 28OOW.  I was thinking of a refurbished from SuperGen, but the warranty was only 90 days instead of 3 years, and it'd have to go back to them for repairs, instead of to Calif., thus much more costly shipping.  No extended warranty was available with the rebuilt.

I checked with Dometic about the requirements for the AC unit.  Turns out to be an 11,000 BTU which the genny should easily handle.  The only thing that's iffy is the start up amperage which is momentarily very high at 53, but run amperage is 9.5.  Since it has a 15 amp breaker I guess it will be ok.  The run wattage is 1350, so I should have double its needs.  They didn't have a starting wattage.  

The other thing I learned from Dometic is that they consider my 2009 AC unit "really old"; bordering on ancient.  I got the impression that they make products with very short service lives.  This turned out to be the case with my fridge, which I replaced with a Norcold (in another thread).  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Tibof View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 11:33pm
The new Honda is a 2200.  It replaces the EU2000i and can be had for $900 including free delivery.  I don't know if it will run the AC.
2015 Pod Hood River Edition
2012 Tacoma Crew Cab 4 Liter
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 1:27am
Originally posted by lostagain

. . . In any event, sold the generator I had on Craig's List in one day for a good price.  It was too noisy and heavy anyway.  I'm going to get an inverter generator and look into a starting capacitor for the AC unit.  I'm leaning toward a Champion duel fuel 3100/2800W unit.  I considered the service availability, the length of the Champion warranty vs. the cost of the Predator add-on warranty, the ease of returning it to Costco if I have problems with it, etc.  and the Champion seems to come out on top, especially considering the fact that it'll also run on propane, albeit at a little lower output. . . .

Don't try to put in a hard start capacitor until you see if the generator you gets will start and run the AC as is. I tried putting in a hard start capacitor and all it did was make the AC impossible to run on the Generac IX2000. It would start and run without the hard start capacitor. When I put it in, thinking it would make it work better, the only thing it did was throw the load into an overload according to the generator's panel. I am now back to stock AC setup except that I painted the top cover white to reflect heat. That helped more than the HS capacitor did.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 8:25am
Thanks for the tip StephenH.  I had planned to give the genny a try before doing anything further.  Hopefully, we have enough capacity to start and run the AC.  My ancient Domeptic Duo-Therm cover is white, so I don't have the same heat issue as the black ones.  In trying out the AC with the newly arriving generator, I also plan to test it with the unrelated breakers both on and off to see if that affects anything.  ...and then there is always my sacrificial chicken....Tongue
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Tibof View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 10:34am
Tried to run the AC with a Honda EU2000i,  It worked fine.  Didn't try to run anything else with it.  Presumably the new Honda EU2200i would fare even better.
2015 Pod Hood River Edition
2012 Tacoma Crew Cab 4 Liter
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 8:32am
Originally posted by Tibof

Tried to run the AC with a Honda EU2000i,  It worked fine.  Didn't try to run anything else with it.  Presumably the new Honda EU2200i would fare even better.

Thanks for that.  I've yet to try running my AC with my EU2000i so I'm glad to know it works ok.

We removed the TV and the microwave from our RPod so no electrical load from them.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123