R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAC Issues - Generator Overloaded?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC Issues - Generator Overloaded?
    Posted: 20 May 2018 at 12:35pm

War considerations aside, and for what it is worth, I have owned a Champion 2000W inverter for about 4 years. It has performed flawlessly.

mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 6:22pm
I run my AC on a Generac 2000, and have posted that several times on the forum, I think the OP has a generator issue.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 6:34pm
When I looked at the dual fuel gensets the output was less on LP.  Something to check.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 7:19pm
Try finding an inverter generator that is not made in China today. Look at all of them. I did a search and the US made ones are not inverter generators. The US companies may design, but they are made in China.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 7:25pm
About  the original issue of the generator bogging down restarting the AC:  Could it be that something else kicked on?  Like maybe you had the water heater on AC and it went into a heating cycle.  Or you're a dummy like me who's cooking a pizza or something in the microwave and the AC tries to restart.  Even something like those shouldn't stall a 3500W gennie, but might be something to consider.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 7:47pm
Have a bad batch of gas?  
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 11:14pm
I've run our AC on our Generac iX2000, although I had to make sure I did not have anything else that would use significant power running and that the batteries were charged. I agree that something must be wrong for a 3500 watt generator to not be able to power the AC, whether that is choice of fuels, very high ambient temperatures, generator malfunction, or some other cause.

By the way, have you made a bonding plug to take care of the floating neutral when you are running the generator? While that may not be causing the issue, it is a good thing as it will keep a circuit analyzer happy to not have an open ground. One is easy to make. Connect the ground (green) terminal to the neutral (silver) terminal in a plug. Do not connect the hot (gold) terminal. This plug then becomes your bonding plug. Plug it into one of the 15A outlets on the generator and your load (R-Pod) plug into the other terminal (15A) or the 30A plug if available. Normally, bonding is done in the breaker panel when you are connecting to shore power. Since the generator does not have that bonding, the bonding plug serves that purpose.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 11:08am
There was nothing else on that would have increased demand on the generator.  The water heater was off, there is no micro or tv, & no other appliances were plugged in, such as my wife's hair dryer.  As for a bonding issue, I had a ground wire attached to the generator and a nice metal stake driven into the dirt, so it should have been adequately grounded without connecting the neutral to the ground.  Supposedly, the neutral and ground are connected though the frame of the generator.  I prefer having the ground really wired to mother earth.  The real question there is my stake, driven into the dirt long and conductive enough.

In any event, sold the generator I had on Craig's List in one day for a good price.  It was too noisy and heavy anyway.  I'm going to get an inverter generator and look into a starting capacitor for the AC unit.  I'm leaning toward a Champion duel fuel 3100/2800W unit.  I considered the service availability, the length of the Champion warranty vs. the cost of the Predator add-on warranty, the ease of returning it to Costco if I have problems with it, etc.  and the Champion seems to come out on top, especially considering the fact that it'll also run on propane, albeit at a little lower output.

Since the AC started and ran just fine for multiple on/off cycles on shore power, I am leaning toward an issue with the compatibility of the two devices.  I kind of think the inverter's cleaner power may take care of the problem.  If not, it's back to the back yard alter (a Weber grill) to sacrifice the chicken.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 11:20am
Originally posted by furpod

We ran our 13.5 on a Honda 2000.. but most won't. The Yamaha 2400isch runs every one that anyone has ever hooked it up to.. so a 2800 should do fine.

...as long as you don't try to run the microwave at the same time that the AC compressor is running. Running both can push close to 30A when the compressor starts up; I've actually had the main breaker in the Pod trip once with both on.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 11:46am
Yes, overloading can make everything not work.  But for us, life is simple.  We don't have, and don't want, a microwave. We took out the TV and put it to a new purpose in my wife's sewing shop.  We don't use any high demand electric appliances except for my wife's hair dryer, which she only runs it on shore power.  The only other plug in AC appliance we have is a coffee grinder that was not in use at the time of the problem.  

As I flail away on the keyboard, I realized that the fridge may have switched to AC as it was on automatic, thus could have switched off the propane.  Next time I try to run our AC on the generator I plan to buy, I'm going to switch off all other power sources at the breakers to make sure only the AC is connected.  If that doesn't work, then I'll likely return the generator to Costco and just not use it.  Most of our camping is in the western mountains where it's not really hot enough to need AC.

Thanks for your [and to all] for your suggestions.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>