FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Everything... Need Advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Everything... Need Advice
    Posted: 19 May 2018 at 5:53pm

My 0-60mph times could be measured in minutes.....at those times that I could even do 60mph.

I've been scoffed at many times for preaching nothing less than a V6 with a 5K towing capacity (V8 & full size is better). I do so for a reason.

It helps to think ahead, as much as possible. There is no power to accelerate out of a problem - only brake. Plan accordingly.

LMS View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 2:58pm
We're home from our initial 1200 mile shakedown cruise with our 2019 RP-189 towed by our 2017 Ford Escape.  Some of you were on target... the vehicle tows very well up to about 60 mph.  If good driving conditions, it can tow comfortably close to 65.  With a load leveling, anti-sway hitch there are no control issues, including when braking, up to 55-60 mph.  Cross-winds in excess of 35-40 mph are a problem but are an issue no matter what type of RV you have (I always parked my Class A in high wind conditions).  We traveled I-75 south from Michigan to I-40 then cut across the Smokey Mountains to I-26 south. So we did have real mountain driving but not the severe grades you would find on 441 through the Smokey Mountains National Park or out west.  Since the Escape has the select paddle shift option, I found that 5th gear was a comfortable level and maintained the engine around 2400 RPM (High gear, 6th gear just doesn't work).  And, cruise control was usable on all but the steepest inclines and downgrades.  Gas mileage averaged 15 MPG for the trip from MI to FL.  Only on the steepest inclines did I find it necessary to downshift to 4th gear to maintain speed in the truck lane without stressing the engine.  Downgrades were a breeze with only the occasional braking required.  We were able to keep all weights just under max except for the car's rear axle which is running about 40 lbs overweight, total weights are within range.  I think I can re-balance my load in the Pod a bit to get all weights within range.

Bottom line, if you are buying a tow vehicle to pull your Pod, don't select the Ford Escape, its #3500 lb capacity is undersize for an ideal tow.  If you have a Ford Escape and want to tow a Pod, do it; but with caution and full awareness of your limitations.

PS...  We love our new Pod (named it 2 Peas in a Pod) and are looking forward to our next trip.  The weather is a bit hot right now to enjoy local FL weekend outings but a couple of days on the beach is in our future.
Lew
RP-189
2017 Ford Escape
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 3:17pm
That was a good and detailed account of towing with the Escape. We towed our 2016 RP179 with a 2016 Escape until we hit ice with a cross-wind. My experience parallels yours. We now tow with a 2010 Nissan Frontier but at significant altitudes, miss the power of the Escape's Ecoboost engine. The escape is not ideal, but it can work if one is aware of the limitations.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123