Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Everything... Need Advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Everything... Need Advice
    Posted: 18 May 2018 at 9:30am
If I were you, I would call a company that will rent a pickup truck and tow the pod back to Fla with that.  I know that Enterprise will rent them but they are a little pricey.   However, a couple of weeks of truck rental may be cheaper that car repairs, monthly truck payments, and/or hospital bills.  Better safe than sorry.
Enjoy Life!!
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 1:05pm
We towed our 179 with our Dodge grand Caravan for 3+ years. You can tow a pod with a 3,600 rated vehicle. We tower up and down the east coat, White Mountain of NH, Green Mountains of Vermont, Pocono Mtn in eastern PA. No problems and I feel safely.
I will admit it is a lot better towing with our Ford Pick up now. But it is all up to how you feel when you start towing.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 3:17pm
Your Grand Caravan is longer and heavier than an Escape.  The OP needs to be careful NS TOW SLOW.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 5:17pm
+1 - the rating is close but the Caravan as stated is longer and heavier. When it goes wrong there's not a lot of time to either change your mind or correct the bad decision. There is a ton of acceptable tow vehicles out there, why cut yourself short and put yourself and others in jeopardy. It makes no sense to me.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by mcarter

There is a ton of acceptable tow vehicles out there, why cut yourself short and put yourself and others in jeopardy. It makes no sense to me.

Well, ....There is always a spectrum of risk in life, and individuals vary in their ability to handle risk, and risky situations.

I don't personally think that driving an Escape automatically puts themselves and others at risk, and it's a little patronizing to say so, in my opinion. 

I agree that there are much better tow vehicles, but if this is the best one for them at this point, no one can say that they are wrong. They do have proper equipment - a tow package and a weight distribution hitch, and a good attitude.
"There comes a time in the affairs of a man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation" - W.C. Fields
ParPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 7:07am
We started off towing with a 2012 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 w/towing pkg.  It was rated for 3500 lbs. so a similiar vehicle to the Explorer.  We also had a E2 hitch set up.  We were pulling our 179.  The vehicle did it but just barely.  We were always careful about what we put into both the Pod and Rav with respect to weight.  Tanks were always empty and with exception of the odd valley/hill we're pretty flat here.  I also had it on North Dakoka/Minnesota Interstates where we did alright as well......but it's pretty flat there too.
You're at your limit - no question but try it and see.  I suspect that if you decide to stay with the Pod (and you should!) you're going to be looking for a vehicle upgrade.
Bob&Margaret
2017 179
2016 Toyota 4Runner
2 sets of Golf Clubs
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 2:02pm

I think I still hold the record for the "most wimpy" tow vehicle - a 2008 GMC Canyon, 4 cyl., automatic, with a 3200lbs. tow capacity. It pulled my RP173 from central Indiana to Rocky Mts. National Park and back. It wasn't the most enjoyable drive that I have experienced. There were times when I could not maintain even the minimum posted speed limit on the highway. Headwinds were the biggest issue.

My position regarding tow vehicles is: There is what I would recommend, and then, there's "what ya got". Can it be done? Yes. However, as mentioned above, you'll likely be shopping for something with a little more muscle as soon as you can.

http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1050&KW=Rocky&PID=9239&title=rocky-mountain-high#9239

mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 4:59pm
David, You may be right:) There is a ton of info on the interweb about towing with the Ford Escape, and most have towed the lighter Pods. My response was directed at the OP and the 189. He's at 80% without adding a single pound. At the risk of "patronizing", I guess best answer to a bad situation is a good attitude. Not being prepared. That's an afterthought. IMHO it's is an issue when a tow vehicle is at it's limits, we see it everyday on our highways. I see it in campgrounds. Honesty is a better policy than people pleasing.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 5:30pm

It brings back fond memories of "foot to the floor" and only able to reach 45-50mph at times. It was not fun. There is no way in H@ll I would recommend a vehicle like that. If a person really wants a Pod (like I did).....just understand what you are getting into with a small tow vehicle. You can get down the road but, I can just about promise, it will not be a pleasant experience.

Buying my Pod was very expensive. I had just purchased (new) the GMC Canyon in 2008. I purchased (new) the Pod in June-July 2009. In October 2009, I purchased (new) a Chevy Silverado 5.3 V8. My wallet was screaming!     

mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 5:38pm
Yeah Buddy, and I'm sure you had a good attitude but you were a safe tower. Not somebody reliant on karma.
Mike Carter
2015 178
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>