R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSway bars?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sway bars?
    Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:47pm
I live in the mountains of N Idaho. I've towed the deserts of Calif, Nevada, Oregon, Wyoming etc and into and throughout the mountains of Colorado. Towed last year to the families ranch south of Austin Texas along interstate 10 in nasty, nasty winds with a 2015 1500 Ram and to a lesser degree a '02 GMC 1500 Sierra. IMPO, installing a sway or WDH on a full size truck for a 179 is completely unnecessary.  :) Emoticons
2017 179 1/2
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 9:03pm
Really the only thing you must remember to do is to loosen the sway bar before backing up / into your campsite, otherwise you may very well toast it.  Other than that it is pretty straightforward and simple to use.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
SteveA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

Originally posted by SteveA

Interesting reading all these threads on pod sway and the many different opinions based largely on hands on experience. Some have none, some have a little, some even more... and so on. I have even read that a few are using a sway control device with their 3/4 ton trucks???  Yes it is a fact that if you load any trailer, especially a single axle light in the tongue weight you can and most likely will get sway. However I'm starting to wonder if coupled with some of the other FR quality control issues many have posted if maybe some of these units are leaving the factory with axle alinement issues as well? A double axle trailer that has an axle that's out of square will show obvious tire wear but a single axle will just crab somewhat and start to wiggle when its "set track" is disturbed i.e. cross wind or passing a large vehicle left front to left front. Just food for thought. 

This is purely anecdotal of course, but I don't think this is the case.  I towed my pod around 20K miles without a WDH or any sway control.  The only time I ever noticed any slightly alarming sway was when I had a tank full of fresh water.  The sway went away when I drained tank.  Otherwise towing has been excellent. No abnormal tire wear.

I let the forum talk me into getting a WDH with integrated sway control.  (My weakness!)  Now that I have it I guess I like it better than not having it and I buy into the argument that it's better to have it an not need it than to need it and not have it.

I have a double axle utility trailer that I have no trouble loading so that it sways all over the place.  It has always been easily corrected with some sensible weight redistribution.

Pods are short.  It's really easy for small weight distribution issues to have a significant impact.

TT

Hey Tars, 
Totally agree it's possible to improperly light load any trailer tongue, single, double or triple and force a sway condition. My reason for mentioning tandems and triples is because when there is an axle alinement issue improper tire wear becomes very noticeable but not so much with a single axle.  I've towed my 179 with almost every combo of fluid levels in the 3 tanks I.E. empty forward fresh and full gray and black, full black and empty gray and fresh etc. and it made no difference with regards to sway. 
I'm truly trying not to believe FR designed a line of Pods that when preforming one of their most basic tasks (carrying 280lbs of water just behind the axle) creates a "slightly alarming" sway condition. The point for me getting into this discussion was (because some seem to be having this issue and others don't) to simply suggest to those are to check and see if their axle is square to the tongue. The second item I'd check would be to weigh the tongue with the trailer empty, then weigh it how they load it for a trip and lastly with a full fresh tank. My guess is any combo netting less that 300lbs would be a problem.  I hope this helps. Smile
2017 179 1/2
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 7:33am
This may be slightly non responsive, but even with a full tank of water behind the axle, I think it's possible to load the trailer in a way to keep 10% to 15% of the trailer's weight on the tongue.  I'm confident that would eliminate the sway, at least in my case.  Depending on how you usually tow, that kind of weight adjustment could take a little bit of effort.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 7:43am
J&B,

You have a very good combo. Sway is something that can be experienced with a light tongue and or cross winds and drafts from passing trucks. It's recommended you disconnect sway if backing, I've seen them bent. Don't over tighten it, it's meant to apply friction. Also recommended you disconnect sway if you are experiencing road conditions where the trailer tires do not have sufficient traction, like ice. I don't see terrain as the big issue. I use a sway bar with a Silverado and a 178. I weigh my trailer tongue and never travel with a full FW tank. 179 is nice, no FW tank in the rear.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
craigwood View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 5:57pm
I tow a 179 with a newer F150, no sway or wdh.  I did purchase a longer ball mount (20") to allow me to lower the tailgate on the truck with the trailer attached (for easier access).  Does this add to any sway issues?  Have had no significant problems with sway to date.  Thanks in advance for any input.  
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 6:21pm
We also tow our 179 with our F-150  
Haven't had any problems with sway while towing. Not sure what the longer ball mount while affect.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 6:43pm
Craigwood,

IMHO No. Sway has most to do with tongue weight. Like a teeter totter. Put a 300 lb person on one end and a 100 lb person on the other, the trailer axle is the pivot point. If the 100lb person is on tongue end = sway, if the 300 lb person is on tongue end = no sway. Too simple I know, but basically it.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by craigwood

I tow a 179 with a newer F150, no sway or wdh.  I did purchase a longer ball mount (20") to allow me to lower the tailgate on the truck with the trailer attached (for easier access).  Does this add to any sway issues?  Have had no significant problems with sway to date.  Thanks in advance for any input.  
The longer mount will increase the relative tongue weight (longer moment arm). It will also increase the distance between the rear axle and the ball, which "could" affect the susceptibility to sway. That said, the F-150 is a pretty good size truck, and it is close to 50% heavier than a 179. It's not like you're towing with a Volkswagen bug.

We use an E2 WDH. No problems. We would probably use the same rig with our Tacoma.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
riotkayak284 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 11:13am
Use a Tacoma 2015 with one sway bar and don't have many problems.... 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>