R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSway bars?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sway bars?
    Posted: 13 May 2018 at 12:46pm
My 172 has the aft fresh water tank as well. I traveled with the fresh tank full, and my grey and black empty, just over a week ago. I was a little nervous knowing that isn't the optimum condition. I only noticed a sway at one point on the highway where i hit some uneven pavement. Normally I only put about 10 gals for flushing or rinsing while we travel. I have wdh so i assume that keeps the sway to a minimum. I would think a sway bar at the least is never a bad idea.

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 2:55pm
While I normally don't travel with the fresh water tank full I have on many occasions and have never had any sway.  I pull with an F150 4X4 Supercrew, and have been across the country in all kinds of weather passing and being passed by large trucks and in heavy cross winds.  I have no sway control other than the sway control built into the truck.

I think if your tow vehicle is adequate the tank is not a factor.  If your situation is marginal by all means do what you need to to prevent sway.    I disagree that the position of the tank is a defect in design.  It is just a factor to consider when loading your trailer and TV.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
HandsCamping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 4:33pm
Do you disconnect the sway bar in the rain?
Stanley & Erica Hand
Alabama
Rpod 176
Chevy 2500HD
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 4:34pm
Keith-n-Dar. Exactly, not a design defect, it is a factor you need to be cognizant of. I have had sway issues before I was aware of the effect of a rear FW tank and the fact I compensated at the tongue end and knew the tongue weight. Just a learning thing. My TV tows fine, I added sway bar and it works. The only thing I would caution folks on is I have had trailer sway based on tongue weight, not capacity of the tow vehicle. Just my opinion.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 4:36pm
Hands Camping - NO, ice or snow would be different, but why be towing a trailer then anyway?
Mike Carter
2015 178
HandsCamping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 4:38pm
mCarter Thanks. I had just read that you had to disconnect In The rain.
Stanley & Erica Hand
Alabama
Rpod 176
Chevy 2500HD
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 4:44pm
Those road conditions where you have traction issues, will have an effect on towing, rain is not an issue. Stopping may be an issue but your sway will be ok. In IMHO.
Mike Carter
2015 178
SteveA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 6:03pm
Interesting reading all these threads on pod sway and the many different opinions based largely on hands on experience. Some have none, some have a little, some even more... and so on. I have even read that a few are using a sway control device with their 3/4 ton trucks???  Yes it is a fact that if you load any trailer, especially a single axle light in the tongue weight you can and most likely will get sway. However I'm starting to wonder if coupled with some of the other FR quality control issues many have posted if maybe some of these units are leaving the factory with axle alinement issues as well? A double axle trailer that has an axle that's out of square will show obvious tire wear but a single axle will just crab somewhat and start to wiggle when its "set track" is disturbed i.e. cross wind or passing a large vehicle left front to left front. Just food for thought. 
2017 179 1/2
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by SteveA

Interesting reading all these threads on pod sway and the many different opinions based largely on hands on experience. Some have none, some have a little, some even more... and so on. I have even read that a few are using a sway control device with their 3/4 ton trucks???  Yes it is a fact that if you load any trailer, especially a single axle light in the tongue weight you can and most likely will get sway. However I'm starting to wonder if coupled with some of the other FR quality control issues many have posted if maybe some of these units are leaving the factory with axle alinement issues as well? A double axle trailer that has an axle that's out of square will show obvious tire wear but a single axle will just crab somewhat and start to wiggle when its "set track" is disturbed i.e. cross wind or passing a large vehicle left front to left front. Just food for thought. 

This is purely anecdotal of course, but I don't think this is the case.  I towed my pod around 20K miles without a WDH or any sway control.  The only time I ever noticed any slightly alarming sway was when I had a tank full of fresh water.  The sway went away when I drained tank.  Otherwise towing has been excellent. No abnormal tire wear.

I let the forum talk me into getting a WDH with integrated sway control.  (My weakness!)  Now that I have it I guess I like it better than not having it and I buy into the argument that it's better to have it an not need it than to need it and not have it.

I have a double axle utility trailer that I have no trouble loading so that it sways all over the place.  It has always been easily corrected with some sensible weight redistribution.

Pods are short.  It's really easy for small weight distribution issues to have a significant impact.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
J&B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:19pm
Yeah, making myself a little crazy about this sway bar issue.....Silverado 1500 pulling a 179.  So far, a couple thousand miles around Fla., don't even know it's back there.  But heading to mountains soon, get a single sway bar, just because, just incase????  Suggestions for easy to use/understand sway bar?     
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>