Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHitch Adapter - Event Date: 09 May 2018 - 09 Jun 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Hitch Adapter
    Posted: 09 May 2018 at 5:53pm
Has anyone used a hitch adapter that converts the 1 1/4" to a 2" hitch.  I'm looking for a more robust bike carrier than the one supplied by FR, the Bike Wing and more choices with a 2" hitch.
RogerSJ
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 6:39pm
I think a 1 1/4 hitch is good for something like 200 pounds, which is way beyond what Forest River allows for the receiver.  The limiting factor is really the trailer frame.  If you really feel the need for somthing more robust you may want to consider options other than the rear of the Pod.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Randrestj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 6:45pm
Thanks, the 1 1/4" limits my choice of bike carriers and I'd like to have one that the wheels rest on a tray of sorts and also made for RV's, I've found a number that would fit that bill.
RogerSJ
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 7:32pm
I haven't seen it in writing -- at least in a long time -- but I think Forest River used to say the bike rack the sell is the only one they warrant for the Pod.  Look into it.  You may void the warranty against any frame damage. 

Personally, unless you're talking about more than two bikes, I think FR may be overly cautious in this regard.  Nevertheless, an adapter will push the bike rack out further from the bumper, thereby creating more leverage against the frame, especially as you're bouncing down the road.

I'm just delivering the party line -- people do what you're talking about and and more and get away with it.  A lot of people use roof racks on their tow vehicle or come up with bike carriers for the trailer tongue too though.  There's also the insecurity involved in not being able to see your bikes behind the trailer.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 9:55pm
The weak bumper mount on the rear of the Pods is bad enough but a 1-1/4 to 2" adapter is much worse. As Tars says it adds a long lever arm, extending the bike load further behind the bumper. Leave the spare on the rear and find another solution for the bikes. One option is to mount the bikes on the rear of the TV, between TV and TT. Swagman makes a nice sleeve rack that carries the bikes in a basket as you want. I've used it and it works well. It also puts the bikes on the TV so you can uncouple and drive to a bike trailhead without moving the bikes. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
cosmo751 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 7:23am
Consider a mount for the front of the tow vehicle. Better solution IMHO. There are pics on Google images.
"He not busy being born is busy dying."
MDPaddlersPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 7:26am
My opinion is counter to what most people think and do. I have a 1 1/4 adapter to 2 inch. I use a cargo rack to haul gear but, keep the total weight to 80 pounds. I have been doing this for two years with no problems.
MDPaddlersPod
2017 RPod 179
2002 Silverado1500
Randrestj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 11:05am
Just checked on that Swagman Traveler that installs on your TV tow bar and unfortunately the tow bar I have with sway control there is just no room to install this type of carrier on the tow bar.  Looks like a great option and great price if your tow bar can accommodate this type of carrier.
RogerSJ
Randrestj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 11:10am
I think I'll skip trying to add the carrier on the back of the trailer and resort to a model that clamps down on either side of the A- frame on the front of the trailer and bikes sit above the propane tanks.
RogerSJ
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by Randrestj

Just checked on that Swagman Traveler that installs on your TV tow bar and unfortunately the tow bar I have with sway control there is just no room to install this type of carrier on the tow bar.  Looks like a great option and great price if your tow bar can accommodate this type of carrier.

I don't know what tow bar you have but longer shanks are available. I bought a longer shank for my E2 hitch and it worked very well. BTW I think carriers that require lifting the bikes high above the propane tanks would be a real pain. I'm too old for calisthenics with my bikes. Wink
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>