Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHitch Adapter - Event Date: 09 May 2018 - 09 Jun 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Hitch Adapter
    Posted: 10 May 2018 at 8:37pm
The tow bar I have is weight distribution hitch and there is no room once I have the hitch attached to the vehicle to add the Traveller thus no option to purchase a longer shank.
RogerSJ
Randrestj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 7:43am
Has anyone used the Jack-it by Lippert, price is very reasonable compared to the alternatives, just wondering about the quality and its toughness?
RogerSJ
ParPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 7:47am
We saw the Jack-it at this years trailer show and it is a pretty solid unit.  The bikes they had on it were the same kind that we have and they were on there pretty tight - no wiggle.  The lifting the bikes onto it didn't seem that it would be that bad and one nice feature with the unit is that you can take a large part of it off if you're travelling without your bikes.  We bought it and the maiden trip will be this weekend.
Bob&Margaret
2017 179
2016 Toyota 4Runner
2 sets of Golf Clubs
athayersmith View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 8:33pm
I called rpod - they said the frame can take up to 150 lbs, although the other posts I saw said 62 lbs.  They assured me 150 was ok - we got a yakima ridgeback 2 bike carrier (32 lbs. + 2 bikes @ 35lbs each=107lbs) - it is adaptable to either a 2" or 1 1/4" hitch - the rpod has a 1 1/4" and it was easy to put on.  We had a sway/wgt distribution hitch put on (might not have been necessary, but we wanted to be safe, not knowing much about this stuff!!) -hitch weighs a LOT - problem - the bikes really bounce around while we're driving (we each took turns following each other to see how bikes handled). The hitch installer suggested we use straps from the rt and left sides of bottom of frame to tighten up the bikes a bit.  Any suggestions welcomed.  Other than the fact that we would probably have to replace the bike carrier more often than expected-sounds like the frame should be able to take the wgt?  Thx, in advance.

Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by athayersmith

I called rpod - they said the frame can take up to 150 lbs, although the other posts I saw said 62 lbs.  They assured me 150 was ok - we got a yakima ridgeback 2 bike carrier (32 lbs. + 2 bikes @ 35lbs each=107lbs) - it is adaptable to either a 2" or 1 1/4" hitch - the rpod has a 1 1/4" and it was easy to put on.  We had a sway/wgt distribution hitch put on (might not have been necessary, but we wanted to be safe, not knowing much about this stuff!!) -hitch weighs a LOT - problem - the bikes really bounce around while we're driving (we each took turns following each other to see how bikes handled). The hitch installer suggested we use straps from the rt and left sides of bottom of frame to tighten up the bikes a bit.  Any suggestions welcomed.  Other than the fact that we would probably have to replace the bike carrier more often than expected-sounds like the frame should be able to take the wgt?  Thx, in advance.

you might consider this one:

My wife is a lightweight 5'1" and she can easily handle this carrier by herself. With our old Yakima rack, I used to have to install it for her on her weekly rides, not any more.No problem handling 2 bikes. 
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 8:28am
We use a rear bike carrier with 2 bikes.  We did some extensive welding of a new 2x2 cross beam from frame to frame, additional triangle gussets and a 2" receiver welded to both the original and the new cross beams.  We also eliminated a lot of motion in the bike rack by using 2 cam straps-1 on each side of the rack that are attached to eye bolts drilled into the ends of the frame.  another important thing to eliminate motion is a hitch tightner that will keep the shank tight in the receiver. We have followed the pod and watched our bikes-there is virtually no movement with the additions we made.  there are some pictures in our mods.  they are from our original 173, but we have done the same mods on our newer 179.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Randrestj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 11:02am
Did purchase a longer shank for my WDH and the Swagman carrier that fits over the hitch, very pleased with the result.  Bikes sit on the TV and in plain view when driving.  The only downside was that I had to extend the safety chains on the trailer, not a biggie.
RogerSJ

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 9:01pm
Thanks for the input = I hate to get another bike rack, but it might come to that.  Appreciate your time.  
Ann

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 9:05pm
Thanks- do you think cam straps would help if that was all we did?  Otherwise, we're thinking of just carrying 1 bike on the back and putting the other one in the pod.......we're feeling like we've learned a lot, (and are going continually to HD and Camping World).  Hopefully the bike rack is it.
Thx,Ann
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12