Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAdventure: Bledsoe Creek State Park

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adventure: Bledsoe Creek State Park
    Posted: 03 May 2018 at 11:20am
It's a long story, so.... http://www.tripsandtravails.com/2018/05/bledsoe-creek-state-park-travail-level.html
The adventure came on the way home when the left side tire delaminated quite energetically and took the fender with it. There are pix at the blog linked above - if anyone has any suggestions on repair options and/or finding more robust tires, I would certainly appreciate hearing them!

Update: as to tires, I have ordered a pair of Goodyear Endurance to replace what was on there.
Dave Gamble
Grove City, OH
http://TripsAndTravails.com/
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 11:45am
Thanks for sharing.  Since you encountered all that trouble, you should be good to go.  i replaced my tires with carlisle tires.  many folks have gone through that is why i went ahead and replaced almost new tires.  im sure the other victims will have some recovery information for you. 
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
Subzilla View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 12:36pm
How old were the tires and what brand?  The factory brand on my '17 is "Constancy" which on other forums has questionable reviews.  Which BTW, mine are D rated with 75 MPH speed rating and 65 lbs.
Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
DaveGamble View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 12:45pm
They say Ridgway Sport ST. Made in China, and they presumably meant Ridgeway.

From their website:

RIDGWAY SPORT ST

The Ridgway Sport Radial ST tire exemplifies the ruggedness and resilience of the small town in Colorado in which it was named. Built with custom aluminum molds for a precise and consistent finished product, the Ridgway Sport ST is a durbale and reliable tire. The Ridgway Sport is available in both Radial and Bias Ply construction. 

I have the bias ply. 

Dave Gamble
Grove City, OH
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by texman

Thanks for sharing.  Since you encountered all that trouble, you should be good to go.  i replaced my tires with carlisle tires.  many folks have gone through that is why i went ahead and replaced almost new tires.  im sure the other victims will have some recovery information for you. 

How many?  I have seen a few.  How many people have had problems with Carlisle tires.  I have seen complaints about them.

If the interweb is your source for data it will over estimate any "problem" by a factor of ten.

Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 10:17pm
DavGamble sorry to learn about your misadventure with the tire blow out and your fender going the way of the wind! Though a good RV repair shop should be able to order a replacement fender and repair your troubles. As for the tires you've already ordered the top tire manufactured for an trailer which is a smart move on your part. I hate to mention to you or anyone else who wonder but the vast majority of tires that are used on camper tailer's or any type of trailer are made in South East Asia and specifically China. One exception is the tire you ordered which I believe is made in the USA. No mater where the tire is manufactured the important part when considering RV tires is the speed rating, load range, and the number of ply's that make up the tire and the higher that is the better. Unfortunately in order to save money RV manufacturers put the cheapest tires they can buy as possible that have low speed ratings and load ranges and less number of ply's. This the reason Rpod owners and other RV owners have had problems with Carlisle and other tires such as you sadly found out. In fact Carlisle makes an excellent Radial Trail HD tire with a speed rating of M (up to 81 mph.) and a load range of D (2040 pounds per tire), 8 ply tire that far exceed what Forest River puts on our campers and equals the Goodyear Endurance tire. Since we only have two tires "meeting the road" I can't stress enough the best mod you can make on your camper is improve your tires as you sadly have found out the hard way.

Now I will get off my soap box! Wink
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 6:16am
Yes, better tires will definitely reduce my stress levels. I talked to my local Tire Discounters (from whom I have purchased 30+ tires over the years) about the Goodyear Marathon, but he said those were no longer made in the USA. I am not immediately put off my Made in China - I have many fine and trustworthy things that were made in China. He went on to tell me that the Endurance is made in the USA, but what really sold me was getting two Class D tires with an S speed rating for only $34 more than a pair of Class C with a much lower speed rating.

I don't intend to drive over 112mph - I think the only way I could do that would be to drive over a cliff and I figure the bigger problem in that case would be the abrupt stop at the bottom. I never planned on driving over 75 mph either, but that limit was far closer to my cruise speed. In other words, I was routinely closer to the danger zone with those that I ever could be witn the S rated tires.

I have a large-ish RV dealer nearby and drove out yesterday to get a fender and some of the other little bits on order. No idea how long that will take.

I'll be driving that stretch of highway later today - I'm wondering if I'll see my old fender lying on the side of the road.
Dave Gamble
Grove City, OH
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 7:30am
Which Goodyear Endurance tires are you getting, specifically?  I'm only seeing 81 mph speed ratings at my local Discount Tire, which may have a more limited selection than Tire Discounters.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

Which Goodyear Endurance tires are you getting, specifically?  I'm only seeing 81 mph speed ratings at my local Discount Tire, which may have a more limited selection than Tire Discounters.
TT

I think your part right Tars that the speed rating on the Endurance at the least an M good for 81 mph. though I have a note written down saying N which would be 87 mph. and a quick search on the net confirms this rating. Unfortunately who ever told OPof this thread it has an S rating doesn't know what they are talking about and I'd be very suspicious and shop elsewhere.

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/endurance/sizes-specs
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 4:28pm
I’ll have to let you know Monday once I get them put on. I did go for the class D load rating, not the class c, so that might have an effect on the speed rating. He told me they had an S speed rating, but we will see on Monday.
Dave Gamble
Grove City, OH
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>