FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPotential newbie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Potential newbie
    Posted: 03 May 2018 at 8:36am
Hello everyone!

I am looking at an R-pod as an affordable way to move out of my parents' house and live in a desirable urban location on a low income.

I make <$30k a year in the service industry, so buying a house is out of the question for me. Renting an apartment is also out, as even studio apartments or one-bedrooms would eat up more than half my monthly income. I could afford to rent a room in a shared house, but I have had bad experiences living with strangers in the past, and I don't have friends to split housing costs with. So, acceptable options for housing that I can afford are limited.

I grew up in a rural area, and my whole life I have wanted a change of scenery. I would love to live in a popular urban area, like San Francisco, Austin, Denver, or Seattle. Since I can't afford to rent or buy traditional housing, I have to be creative and think outside the box of four walls on a foundation. That's where travel trailers come in.

Tiny houses on wheels, cargo vans converted into campervans, RVs and travel trailers are all becoming more popular as people try to live better lives on increasingly smaller budgets. Ideally, I will find someone on Craigslist or by posting flyers who will let me park a small trailer in their backyard and hook up electrical, water, and sewer. I'll pay below market rate rent and also half of any utilities I use. Because I plan to stay in one place, rather than spending extra money on a tow vehicle that will mostly be my daily driver, I'll have a cheap subcompact city car and rent a truck when I have to move.

In terms of size and layout, I really like the R-pod 171. I would make a lot of modifications, but I could live comfortably in that small of a space. I work full-time and like to spend a lot of time outdoors, so I would only ever really be there to shower, eat, and sleep.

I'm still doing a lot of reading about "alternative" housing/living and comparing options before I take the plunge, and this forum has been a great source of information, so thank you to everyone who has posted here sharing their experiences!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 11:06am

Welcome to the forum!

Rpods are a lightweight travel trailer. They are designed to be "light" and for occasional recreational use. They are not designed for daily, full time use. So, you would be using it beyond it's design parameters. I would expect frequent repairs/maintenance. This may offset any potential savings. In another post, it was mentioned that just a control board for the fridge was several hundred dollars. Something to think about.

GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 1:25pm
I second David's thoughts. I'm not sure that a travel trailer is in your best interest. It is designed to go down the road and "be light". I think the most any of us use them is perhaps on an extended trip of a month or two. Typically we go 4 days to a week, although we do look forward to some longer trips real soon now.

I think if you look into one of the tiny homes, and find a place to put it you might be happier with the result.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 1:41pm
Find a place to park it first.  Many of the desirable places have laws against  that.  I know some folks who move frequently for work that do what you want to do but with a larger RV.  Many of them are designed for full time use.  But they are much more expensive.  Those folks park in RV parks and pay a fair amount of rent per month.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 2:22pm
Over a year ago I spent 90 days in mine after I had moved out of my apartment and right before retiring. I spent it in a low cost park and it saved me huge bucks over an apartment. I did not have any major failures or maintenance issues. I used the shower/latrine and laundry facilities at the park. I have a 178, and an improved mattress. Here are issues I had, that were not necessarily problems, just little things.

Heating and AC no problem. Water and sewer no problem. Limited cold food storage, lot of boxed things and microwaveables. I did a lot of grilling. Clothes - although I have mods to add hanging clothes and foldables I used a clothes rack in my truck and rotated in and out daily work wear (I wore business attire to work). The park had a 90 limit - so if I had stayed more than 90 days, I would have had to change spaces and the count would start again. Part of my stay was in cold weather, part was in the end of tornado season. Be cognizant of weather. I made it 90 days and could have done more, I jut didn't have to. What made it easier, was one person. There were multiple guys living in 25 footers at same park on work details. I agree the Pod is probably not the best choice for daily living, but it absolutely can be done. On my part for at least 90 days. Good luck and Happy Trails.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 2:34pm
Welcome! We stayed in our for just over a month every year on our southern trips. I think it could be done, if you were handy with repairs. There have been some active members who were full-timing in rpods while traveling all over the country.
Its what you make of it. I would suggest something a little bigger with a full bath and a bigger refrigerator though. 
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by Leo B

Welcome! We stayed in our for just over a month every year on our southern trips. I think it could be done, if you were handy with repairs. There have been some active members who were full-timing in rpods while traveling all over the country.
Its what you make of it. I would suggest something a little bigger with a full bath and a bigger refrigerator though. 

I wonder what happened to the full timers.  I recall a couple with kids trying it.  In my house that would have ended in divorce.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 6:29pm
Had I been with someone, I'd be famous for a Forensics Files Episode. :) The community was already colorful. Many stories I could only share in private. The MPS were in there every night. Very transient.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 6:43pm
Yeah it was a young couple in a 171  had videos for a while went by "go for broke"
Then the was Birdie diane or something like that they full timed in a 179. 
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 6:50pm
There was a guy in the campground with a Class A. Man, wife and two kids. He completely remodeled the inside while I was there. Lowes' truck everyday, floors, appliances, electrical, everything. He put it all in dumpsters in the camp. End of the day he packed up and left.
Mike Carter
2015 178
 Post Reply Post Reply