R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTrailer Brake Controller Issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer Brake Controller Issue
    Posted: 02 May 2018 at 8:24pm
GlueGuy,

That concept may work fine for a Ford system that senses a light connection, for those of us without that, the blue wire the brake controller tells you when a trailer is connected and monitors power draw of the brake. Granted not familiar with Dodge, but my Chevy could care less about a flat 4 with no brake controller input.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 8:28pm
Not sure about that stuff but we had the same problem and went through 6 visits, etc and that was what finally fixed it, and it has worked ever since.  
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by mcarter

GlueGuy,

That concept may work fine for a Ford system that senses a light connection, for those of us without that, the blue wire the brake controller tells you when a trailer is connected and monitors power draw of the brake. Granted not familiar with Dodge, but my Chevy could care less about a flat 4 with no brake controller input.
He's talking about 2017 Dodge. That's not exactly an "antique". Our truck is 3 years old. Certainly not an antique, but older technology (or at least I would think so). I just think a year old truck would sense a trailer by something other than the brakes. Not all trailers have brakes.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 5:47am
We'll see when he finishes with trailer check. I can't imagine what a brake controller circuit would use if it didn't monitor brakes.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 8:43am
We had the same results they checked the computer to make sure it was programed right, check all the lights, checked all the wiring replaced the factory in dash brake controller twice with brand new ones, replaced the pigtails under the truck twice, we replaced the 7 pin connector, checked everything 4 different mechanic could think of, brought the pod into the ford dealership twice on the second time, they found crack/break in one of the trailer brake wires. said something about may a rock or something hit it and didn't break it all the way then with hitting a pothole or something along the interstate it finally went. it would do an alert saying trailer disconnected, would stop and check and the 7 pin connector was connected, the lights worked the directionals worked but the trailer brake would not work.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
PodWa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 9:21am
Thanks for all the helpful information.  I needed some ideas to point me in the right direction.  We are working on this and will have the trailer checked out at the dealer's service center next week.  I have heard of others with similar problems, and there does not seem to be a common cause.  I'm betting that this has something to do with the backing plates that were replaced earlier.  I will keep you all informed of what we find.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 9:24am
Originally posted by mcarter

We'll see when he finishes with trailer check. I can't imagine what a brake controller circuit would use if it didn't monitor brakes.
We bought our truck without a TBC. When we pulled a trailer using the 4-pin connector, the truck would sense whether a trailer was connected (or not). It didn't have a TBC at all, so I believe that the TBC is not (necessarily) part of the equation.

When we added the TBC, in addition to sensing the existence of a trailer, it also knew there was a brake circuit.
bp
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 10:37am
Why would a four pin connector need to interact with the TV.  I have never noticed my F150 indicate anything when I pull my boat.  When I have the Pod behind if not connected it tells me if I manually try to apply the trailer brakes.  unless I initiate an action there is no response from the truck.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 11:02am
Originally posted by Keith-N-Dar

Why would a four pin connector need to interact with the TV.  I have never noticed my F150 indicate anything when I pull my boat.  When I have the Pod behind if not connected it tells me if I manually try to apply the trailer brakes.  unless I initiate an action there is no response from the truck.
Ours is a 2015. It just seems to know when a trailer is connected regardless of the trailer brake controller. It did it before we even had a TBC. That's why I believe the TBC and trailer sensing are two different things. I am, of course, assuming that the system on a 2017 Ram would be similar.
bp
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 2:35pm
Quote from OP: As I reentered the Interstate, I noticed a message on the dash display stating the trailer was disconnected. I stopped at the next safe place and found all physical connections were good, trailer lights worked properly, but the trailer brake controller would not sense the presence of the trailer.

So bottom line is he has no light problem, he has a TBC issue. And the TBC uses the blue Brake Control signal right to the trailer magnetic brakes to see if there is a power draw, which indicates the brakes are at least receiving a control signal. The blue wire into the brake backing plates. Some trucks know when the lights are connected but they also know when the electronic brake is too, they have too when a braked trailer is being pulled. Two different circuits.
Mike Carter
2015 178
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>