R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTrailer Brake Controller Issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
PodWa View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer Brake Controller Issue
    Posted: 09 May 2018 at 1:22pm
Thanks, 70.  I figured that the brake controller must be looking for resistance or current draw, but didn't know what resistance or amperage the controller found satisfactory.  Now I know it senses resistance of 3 to 10 ohms.  I think that, with the bad connection on one backing plate, my brake controller was seeing a resistance through the other backing plate that was close to the minimum resistance the controller wanted to see.  Therefore, I could get a connection sometimes (after numerous tries to hook up) when the brake controller was fooled into thinking all was OK.  Good info.
Pushing70 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 10:29am
I understand brake controllers sense connection by resistance of the brake wire to ground in the range of 3 to 10 ohms.  One may test the truck by clipping a resistor in that range between the brake contact on the connector and chassis ground.  If controller is still showing no connection, then troubleshoot the truck wiring continuity from the connector brake wire to the controller.  

You can test the trailer by checking the resistance between the brake contact on the trailer connector and chassis ground.  If resistance is not in the range above, then troubleshoot the trailer wiring continuity from the connector to the brake coils.  

Easy-Peazy!  Big smile
Ely
PodWa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 4:27pm
Yep!  Got it.  The contacts inside the TT side plug are like clips that grasp the contacts inside the connector on the TV.
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 4:23pm
Good, male spades. You said you have electric knowledge, so sure you understand.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
PodWa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 12:29pm
Great idea, Mike!
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 10:42am
One thing I found helpful is making a 1/4" spade jumper wire. If your TT battery is connected you can take your 7 pin plug (trailer side), looking directly at it, with the alignment lug in 12 o'clock position. At 11 there is 12 Volts. Using your jumper you can jumper that 12 volts around the plug to test 12 volt circuits. At the 5 position is ground, don't jumper to there. So the brake issue for example: You can jumper 12v at 11 to the blue brake control at 7. You could then go back to axle and test blue wire that controls brakes. Or even check the 12V is getting to that brake. I carry that pin diagram with me and the jumper, without a TV I can check the running and tail lights, the brake lights and turn signals my add on reverse lights etc. Just with one jumper.
Mike Carter
2015 178
PodWa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 10:21am
Me too, Leo!  It seems my problem was similar to yours, but mine was created during the backing plate replacement.  You got it right, and now I know where to look if this happens again.

Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 7:31pm
Good to hear the problem has been fixed!!  
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
PodWa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 7:22pm
When the problem started I visually checked the connectors that the technician replaced and they looked good and seemed to be firmly crimped.  There must have been some internal fault that i could not see.  I am fairly proficient in electronics, but I don't know much about trailer brake systems and don't have a wiring diagram of the R-Pod 179, so my ability to troubleshoot the system was limited.  It only took the technician about 20 minutes to find and correct the problem, and he traced everything front to back.  I am extremely grateful that the fix was so easy.  We were in and out of the shop in about 45 minutes.  

I have to give kudos to Blue Dog RV in Post Falls, Idaho, and their facility in Fife, WA.  Both were very polite, helpful, and actually listened to my description of the problem before jumping to expensive conclusions.  There are lots of complaints on this forum about bad service at selling R-Pod dealers, but this is certainly not one of them.  Happy camper here! Big smile
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 4:30pm
I'll be darn PodWa. Appreciate the response.
Mike Carter
2015 178
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>