R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedpropane tank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: propane tank
    Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 3:44pm
Hi there---I'm a definite newbie for rving and for the r-pod so I probably will be using this forum a lot!  Can anyone tell me how you refill the propane tank--It seems you have to disconnect the regulator to take the cover off of the tank--is this right?  thanks
grizwalsh
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 3:48pm
Depends on your model and year. Mine has a small wing nut in the back of the cover, I remove that, the cover comes right off. Then I release the nut on the tank holder. Then just unscrew connector from tank and its loose. It sounds like alot but takes a minute to do.

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 3:55pm
there is a large black knob that screws into the top of the propane tan.  With a hose connected to it.  Turn off the tank and unscrew the black knob.  Then undo the hold downs and lift the tank off.  An empty tank weighs around 16 lbs, and holds around 16 pounds of propane.  you might be advised to watch for 5 gal tanks on sale for around $25 or30 and pick up a spare.  Then take it to a gas station that also sells propane.  After the tank is filled, don't tip it over as the pickup tube might freeze, or so I have been told.  Some places sell a prefilled tank on an exchange basis. some of their tanks look pretty beat up so I prefer to reuse mine. And some of them don't fill the tanks as full.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by john in idaho

An empty tank weighs around 16 lbs, and holds around 16 pounds of propane.  you might be advised to watch for 5 gal tanks on sale for around $25 or30 and pick up a spare.  Then take it to a gas station that also sells propane.  After the tank is filled, don't tip it over as the pickup tube might freeze, or so I have been told.  Some places sell a prefilled tank on an exchange basis. some of their tanks look pretty beat up so I prefer to reuse mine. And some of them don't fill the tanks as full.
I refill them until they reach their expiration date. The ones we get are marked that they need re-certification after a particular date. I don't know what the life expectancy is; perhaps around 8 or 10 years? At that point, I will exchange the tank. All the ones that we've gotten this way look brand new (Blue Rhino or Amerigas).
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 4:27pm
Tanks are requalified 12 years after original manufacture date and every 5 years after that, Blue Rhino and Amerigas are excellent and selling only qualified tanks. If I see an empty tank for sale at a garage sale I buy it as a deposit tank for a prequalified tank. Nobody checks on the turn in side.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
grizwalsh View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 5:07pm
I have a 2018 177 and it does have a small wing nut on the back but it also has the regulator and hose hook-up to the trailer attached to the back of the cover on the inside--it looks like you have to detach the hose line going from the regulator to the trailer--I can do this but it doesn't look real handy  
grizwalsh
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 5:12pm
Can you post a photo? I can't imagine that replacing a tank would be that difficult. It's a common operation.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
grizwalsh View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 5:42pm
Yea --I know--have to get you a picture tomorrow--if I can figure that process out--thanks for responding  
grizwalsh
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 6:24pm
Couple of things not covered above:  1) when disconnecting the line be advised that it is a left hand thread so turn knob clockwise to unscrew from the tank.  2) You will be a much better deal by NOT refilling your tank at either Blue Rhino, Amerigas or other places like them that exchange your tank.  Around here you will pay about 26.00 for an exchange at Blue Rhino and you only get a tank that is 75% full or 15 lbs of propane which will cost you about $ 1.73/ lb.  By going to a hardware store, I just had mine filled in Elk Rapids, MI, you will get a "FILLED" propane tank, 20 lbs, and I payed $ 13.99 for it which figures to a cost of just under $ 0.70/lb or about 60% cheaper.  What you pay may vary by location but I guarantee that you will definitely get a better deal at your local hardware store, plus you get to keep your tank, not get someone else's that may have issues with it.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by jato

Couple of things not covered above:  1) when disconnecting the line be advised that it is a left hand thread so turn knob clockwise to unscrew from the tank.  2) You will be a much better deal by NOT refilling your tank at either Blue Rhino, Amerigas or other places like them that exchange your tank.  Around here you will pay about 26.00 for an exchange at Blue Rhino and you only get a tank that is 75% full or 15 lbs of propane which will cost you about $ 1.73/ lb.  By going to a hardware store, I just had mine filled in Elk Rapids, MI, you will get a "FILLED" propane tank, 20 lbs, and I payed $ 13.99 for it which figures to a cost of just under $ 0.70/lb or about 60% cheaper.  What you pay may vary by location but I guarantee that you will definitely get a better deal at your local hardware store, plus you get to keep your tank, not get someone else's that may have issues with it.
Hmmm... The disconnect on our tank is a right-hand thread. This the the big knurled knob that screws onto the outside threads on the tank. If you attach via the internal threads, I believe you're right that it is left-hand threads.

Also, I only go to Blue Rhino or Amerigas when the tank is due for re-certification. Otherwise I fill it at any of the local places that fill with propane by the gallon.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>